Marillion "Clutching at Straws" (Deluxe Edition with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which mix? The SACD or the BD (DVD?) from the box set? I've read better things about the mix from the box set, than that from the SACD.
Both mixes were done by him. In fact, I still don't know if the mixes are different, I don't think there's a consensus about it. I own the DVD from the boxset, if you have the SACD I will be happy to share some snippets from the DVD if you want to compare.
In any case, DVD's mix is nothing stellar.

Both mixes were done by him. In fact, I still don't know if the mixes are different, I don't think there's a consensus about it. I own the DVD from the boxset, if you have the SACD I will be happy to share some snippets from the DVD if you want to compare.
The SACD mix is nothing stellar either (and I don't really like the album musically, so I can't see myself bothering with a surround comparison)

Mike Hunter has been Marillion's lead producer and mixer since Radiation times, although he was involved as assistant mixer in previous albums, if my memory serves me right.
As a producer, from my point of view, he did not challenge the band enough, producing some weak albums such as Happiness or Somewhere Else. As a mixer, his 5.1s from Radiation or Sounds are really bad (apologies for being so crude). FEAR is slightly better, but very far from being a solid mix.
Marillion's sound has been historically quite crammed and a bit messy and I don't feel like Mr Hunter has helped at all on this area.
Luckily he's not been involved in Clutching surround mix.
As always, this is my very personal opinion, as a long time Marillion fan.

Oh ok, that explains my ignorance. I lost interest in Marillion after Fish left.

The Amazon UK price worked out to GBP22.02 shipping included to USA after VAT removed - good enough to get me to pre-order, and of course I can still cancel any time.

Just saw this was for pre-order on facebook, so went to my account at Racket Records and ordered the CD / Bluray Set, probably my favourite Marillion album!

Just had a re-think about my favourite Marillion album and it's actually Fugazi with Clutching at straws a close 2nd and Script for a Jesters Tear (which I bought when it first came out in 1983 I was an early fan) 3rd. I hope that eventually these will get a surround mix too.

Just had a re-think about my favourite Marillion album and it's actually Fugazi with Clutching at straws a close 2nd and Script for a Jesters Tear (which I bought when it first came out in 1983 I was an early fan) 3rd. I hope that eventually these will get a surround mix too.

I too bought Script in the fall of '83 in my college campus bookstore. I really like Fugazi too, which was mixed way too bright until the '99 EMI remasters came out. Fingers crossed that someone will do them both after Clutching at Straws.

This is likely an irrelevant reply post as both multichannel mixes of F.E.A.R. are nothing to write home about but César’s post may not be entirely accurate. At the least there still seems to be notable doubt on the SACD.

The mix on either the special edition blu-ray or DVD is better than the SACD mix and they do not seem to be identical. The SACD surround mix was not sanctioned by the band and in general it is believed (by a number of listeners) that the SACD mix was just processed through some matrix. The box set mix seems to offer at least a few discrete elements in the rear speakers on my system. For starters: The initial vocals on the first track start off in the rears on the box set edition and on the SACD they are anchored in the front. Granted, I have to really up my rear speaker volumes.

Many people assume the official surround mix was done by Michael Hunter; however, no specific 5.1 credit was mentioned in the liner notes. When asked on the band’s forum who was mixing the 5.1, the manager vaguely replied that the surround mix is being done by someone who loves the format. No names given.

Back at the time of this release, the band’s manager first stated that the release of a SACD version was insisted on by their partner EarMusic and not at the band’s request. She wrote that the SACD would not have multichannel mix and when it became apparent that there was a surround mix on it she commented that “This '5.0' mix or whatever it is, was not done by us.” She claimed that EarMusic released this without authority or consent from the band.

There is a whole long messy post on this confusion in the QQ archives.

This is likely an irrelevant reply post as both multichannel mixes of F.E.A.R. are nothing to write home about but César’s post may not be entirely accurate. At the least there still seems to be notable doubt on the SACD.

The mix on either the special edition blu-ray or DVD is better than the SACD mix and they do not seem to be identical. The SACD surround mix was not sanctioned by the band and in general it is believed (by a number of listeners) that the SACD mix was just processed through some matrix. The box set mix seems to offer at least a few discrete elements in the rear speakers on my system. For starters: The initial vocals on the first track start off in the rears on the box set edition and on the SACD they are anchored in the front. Granted, I have to really up my rear speaker volumes.

Many people assume the official surround mix was done by Michael Hunter; however, no specific 5.1 credit was mentioned in the liner notes. When asked on the band’s forum who was mixing the 5.1, the manager vaguely replied that the surround mix is being done by someone who loves the format. No names given.

Back at the time of this release, the band’s manager first stated that the release of a SACD version was insisted on by their partner EarMusic and not at the band’s request. She wrote that the SACD would not have multichannel mix and when it became apparent that there was a surround mix on it she commented that “This '5.0' mix or whatever it is, was not done by us.” She claimed that EarMusic released this without authority or consent from the band.

There is a whole long messy post on this confusion in the QQ archives.
Kudos for the long and perfectly explained clarification over my post above.
I just checked the deluxe edition credits and as you say there's nothing specific about the surround mix. Just a general mention to production, recording and mixing to Mike Hunter.

I ordered the last 2 Deluxe editions from Marillion's website, but since I have autographs of other 4 members, I am thinking of ordering from Fish's website this time even though the shipping is costlier. Anybody has less than positive experience of ordering from Fish's website?
I am slightly worried over the disclaimer of not having any responsibility if I don't use the shipping with tracking/sign option (which is 14 GBP).

I ordered the last 2 Deluxe editions from Marillion's website, but since I have autographs of other 4 members, I am thinking of ordering from Fish's website this time even though the shipping is costlier. Anybody has less than positive experience of ordering from Fish's website?
I am slightly worried over the disclaimer of not having any responsibility if I don't use the shipping with tracking/sign option (which is 14 GBP).
Just take the ones signed by the other blokes to a Fish concert and get his siggy that way! :phones

I've bought a couple of times from his store and nothing negative to say as Royal Mail plus Correos delivered the CDs without any issue. Having said that, if you use the non tracked option, forget about complaining if the parcel gets lost. But same happens with Burningshed and peer to peer shipments in Discogs (recently Santana's Supernatural DVD got lost for me... And I doubt I'll be able to get any compensation)

Back