Marillion "Clutching at Straws" (Deluxe Edition with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, on Facebook, Marillion's manager listed a preliminary timeline for when the remaining Marillion reissues would be released.
As of right now, it will be "Afraid of Sunlight" and "Script for a Jester's Tear" in 2019, followed by "Season's End" and "Holidays in Eden" in 2020 and finally "Fugazi" in 2021.

Personally I would take "Season's End" or "Holidays In Eden" before "Script for a Jester's Tear", but still, this is a pretty good schedule as far as I'm concerned.

:)

BTW, on Facebook, Marillion's manager listed a preliminary timeline for when the remaining Marillion reissues would be released.
As of right now, it will be "Afraid of Sunlight" and "Script for a Jester's Tear" in 2019, followed by "Season's End" and "Holidays in Eden" in 2020 and finally "Fugazi" in 2021.

Personally I would take "Season's End" or "Holidays In Eden" before "Script for a Jester's Tear", but still, this is a pretty good schedule as far as I'm concerned.

:)
Good to know, thanks! I'll patiently wait for Script and Fugazi.
From the post-Fish era, I only like Brave and Marbles...

As of right now, it will be "Afraid of Sunlight" and "Script for a Jester's Tear" in 2019...

We'll see if the rumor is true that SW will be back for Afraid Of Sunlight. If it's anything like Brave I'm totally in- I'm hearing all these albums for the first time and I'm finding I like the H-era stuff more..

Though I did give Clutching another shot yesterday and I think I like it more than Misplaced- there are some really great tunes ("Warm Wet Circles", "That Time Of The Night", "Sugar Mice"). @svengaleekie's early impression of the 5.1 mix sounds promising, so I may just have to spring for this one...

Last edited:
Afraid of Sunlight is outstanding. The songs mostly revolve around the theme of tribulations of fame.

The album is packed with sound effects and instrumental subtleties that would be outstanding in a proper discrete mix. The one exception is the track Beyond You which was mixed in mono.

The bass guitar is killer on this album.

To me this album is the second best release (behind Marbles) of the H era recordings.

Received my Racket Records preorder today. Couple mildly crushed corners, but that's alright. Interesting tidbit: the digibook case uses the same canvas texture as the Misplaced Childhood one, unlike Brave, which was a more standard matte/glossy affair.

This title is being shadowed by the other stellar releases we've had this month, but the mix from my point of view is excellent. Discreet and effective, with nice audio effect like the uncorking sound at the beginning of Torch Song, I could not avoid looking left!
If these are the guys mixing the next titles, we're in safe hands, I'd say.
The only complaint I might have is a certain brightness on the mastering, but it's been there on the CD versions I already had.

This title is being shadowed by the other stellar releases we've had this month, but the mix from my point of view is excellent. Discreet and effective, with nice audio effect like the uncorking sound at the beginning of Torch Song, I could not avoid looking left!
If these are the guys mixing the next titles, we're in safe hands, I'd say.
The only complaint I might have is a certain brightness on the mastering, but it's been there on the CD versions I already had.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's overly bright or not enough low end, but something is a little off with the fidelity... but I agree that the mix is good and thankfully I'm looking forward to more mixes by the same team if SW isn't available.

Was just reading the SHF thread on this one to get more info on the surround mix. I notice most members here are noting it's on the conservative side, like SW's Misplaced mix. Apparently people over there are noting some different vocal takes ("White Russian") and guitar parts ("Sugar Mice" guitar solo) in the surround mix. Also Fish's vocals apparently jumping to the rears during key moments in "White Russian" piqued my interest...

I've come to really enjoy this album, to me it's sort of like Genesis doing The Wall (definitely some thematic similarities). Went on quite the Black Friday spending rampage though, so I'll have to wait on the surround version I think...

Was just reading the SHF thread on this one to get more info on the surround mix. I notice most members here are noting it's on the conservative side, like SW's Misplaced mix. Apparently people over there are noting some different vocal takes ("White Russian") and guitar parts ("Sugar Mice" guitar solo) in the surround mix. Also Fish's vocals apparently jumping to the rears during key moments in "White Russian" piqued my interest...

I've come to really enjoy this album, to me it's sort of like Genesis doing The Wall (definitely some thematic similarities). Went on quite the Black Friday spending rampage though, so I'll have to wait on the surround version I think...
Yes, there are a number of notable differences in this remix. That alternate version of Going Under with the little Rothery solo wasn't too bad either. This is a good remix but I'm thinking I might stay with the original. Haven't gotten round to playing the original mix on the Bluray yet.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Listening now. Mild mastering. (y)
Had to bring up the volume more than usual to get to my preferred max volume (75-85 db).
Plenty discrete for me, so far. Guitars and pianos, mostly. Bass guitar and drum are present on my system. Not sure about the sonics, every moment, but sounds acceptable at this point.
Mmm, Taurus pedals...:LB

Plenty going on in these here surrounds.
Lead vocal a time or two. Swirly keyboard stuff. Outer edges of the drums.
Sonically, there is a lot of upper mid coming at you from all sides, when Fish leans hard on the vocal folds, and maximum guitar overdubs are blasting. I nudged my subs up 1.5 db and feel the whole thing is pretty well balanced, given the material.

Anybody ordered & received from fish store? I ordered with their high shipping fee (Tracked & Insured), but have not received any shipping notice. I even requested status using their contact us form, but no update.

Anybody ordered & received from fish store? I ordered with their high shipping fee (Tracked & Insured), but have not received any shipping notice. I even requested status using their contact us form, but no update.
Fish posted this 8 hours ago on his Facebook

”My wonderful wife with an eternal smile as she deals with the mountain of ‘straws’. We are getting them out into the world .”

*picture of wife and a shitload of boxes*

Back