Marillion in 5.1 (Sounds That Can't Be Made) Confirmed!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thoughts exactly, but its not a bad album, but no songs which make you go wow.

I respectfully disagree. The Sky Above the Rain is simply a work of beauty. An honest and realistic look at the struggles of keeping a love alive set to a musical score that perfectly compliments the message of the lyrics. Starting off with lonely and stark piano notes and building into soaring keyboards and guitars that match the point in the lyrics where there is optimism that love can prevail.

Power, a brooding piece anchored by a solid bass line, comes across as a darker companion piece to Your Gone from the Marbles era.
I especially enjoy how the background effects of the rain compliment the mood of the song.

Admittedly Gaza is not quite in the same league as their other epic songs - the lyrical theme is certainly their most daring and polarizing.

Is it Marbles?, Is it Brave?... AOS?... Clutching? .... or Misplaced Childhood? - No.
It is though a pretty incredible, interesting and daring album for a band's 17th studio release.
And now in 5.1!

Maybe there is hope for the future!

They own their own record label as well, Racket Records, which handles all their releases (apart from the earlier EMI releases).

Do they have any classics that would be great in 5.1?

Mr Hoffman posted about licensing issues and dealing with major labels. Some flat out turn AF down. Dealing with Marillion would be a lot easier i would suspect.

Oh yes : BRAVE. In surround sound it would be a killer.

Obviously Misplaced CHildhood would benefit from a surround treatment and would sell well, as it is still their most sold album, but Brave, oh myyyyy, it's the PERFECT album to be released in surround. Lots of instrumental layers, backing vocals, atmospheric pads, ambiant noises, thumpering percussions, guitar delays....

Do they have any classics that would be great in 5.1?

Mr Hoffman posted about licensing issues and dealing with major labels. Some flat out turn AF down. Dealing with Marillion would be a lot easier i would suspect.

They are all classics!!!!:D
Seriously though, the band's output has always been rich in detail and layers.

As Baker indicated, the most obvious choice would be Brave. The trouble there is that the band was on EMI at the time.
EMI was the band's label through their first 8 albums (circa 1983 - 1995)
From that era, Brave, Misplaced Childhood, Afraid of Sunlight and perhaps Clutching at Straws & Seasons End have the potential to be exceptional in 5.1

For their output after the split with EMI, the band has either re-aquired those rights or controlled them from the start.
From that era, Marbles would be the shining candidate for the 5.1 treatment.

Got the 3 Blu-ray set yesterday.... :banana:

I was a bit worried - when I saw the actual 3rd disc - there is no mention of the Studio Album its labelled "Unsound" (for the bonus demos etc)...
I hate how labels don't get that the Studio Album should be the "main billing"... :mad:@:

The mix isn't bad but its quite "front heavy". No so much for the main part going on in the rears. With a bit of a boost on the rear channels it sounds better to me.

Great customer service with the e-mail about the first disc... The stuttering is quite bad in parts. I'll send a reply asking for more 5.1 too!! (y)

Personally I'd like any of the pre Hogarth era stuff & Season End or Brave... Marbles would be a winner too!!!

P.S. I did a couple of SPEC upmixes of Seasons End and Brave. They work quite well in fake quad..

Doesn't bother me that GAZA was recorded louder, it's definitely a heavier song for the band, the best song of the set. The mix is ok for a live recording, i am still finishing to watch the second disk, who has a very different light show that the show in Holland. The sound is cutting off on the first disk, waiting for replacement.

Oh yes : BRAVE. In surround sound it would be a killer.

Obviously Misplaced CHildhood would benefit from a surround treatment and would sell well, as it is still their most sold album, but Brave, oh myyyyy, it's the PERFECT album to be released in surround. Lots of instrumental layers, backing vocals, atmospheric pads, ambiant noises, thumpering percussions, guitar delays....

Another vote for Brave from me too, it would lend itself perfectly to a Blu Ray release as it was also released as a film (and a very good one too)

The Brave Live 2013 Blu Ray is highly recommended in the meantime

http://www.marillion.com/shop/dvd/bravelive2013-bluray.htm

Hey- I wish there was a "Poll" thread (Jon?), because this thread is getting sortof hijacked. I'm still on the shelf with this one (and only want the Studio 5.1). I need to read all the reviews I can. Thanks.

The blu-ray audio dts sound of the new album is very good, i really enjoy some songs of that album, especially "Gaza", "Power" and the title track. I assume that it's Michael Hunter that did the mix, because he did it on the live recordings.

I'm glad one of my favorite bands is finally embracing surround sound!

Though I wonder - how can they have rights to release their EMI-era music as live recordings, but not the original albums? Maybe they own the rights to the music, but not the actual studio recordings between 1983-1995?

I'm glad one of my favorite bands is finally embracing surround sound!

Though I wonder - how can they have rights to release their EMI-era music as live recordings, but not the original albums? Maybe they own the rights to the music, but not the actual studio recordings between 1983-1995?

I don't think EMI can stop the band from releasing live recordings, though I suppose it depends on the original contract. Far as I know, it's usually common to either re-record songs or use live recordings instead of the original studio recordings because then you don't have to pay the original label for the use of them. I think that's what happened with the recent 'Best Sounds' compilation release from Marillion. They re-recorded brand new studio recordings of some of the older EMI tracks, which I guess was so that they don't have to pay EMI any profits from the sales.

I don't think EMI can stop the band from releasing live recordings, though I suppose it depends on the original contract. Far as I know, it's usually common to either re-record songs or use live recordings instead of the original studio recordings because then you don't have to pay the original label for the use of them. I think that's what happened with the recent 'Best Sounds' compilation release from Marillion. They re-recorded brand new studio recordings of some of the older EMI tracks, which I guess was so that they don't have to pay EMI any profits from the sales.

Yes, Prince was going to re-record his entire WB catalog so he owned the songs. If Marillion did that EMI have no legal rights.

Guess they finally got the fixed disk for this release as just got my confirmation that they have shipped this release out to me.
Hopefully in about a week will be able to find out what you guys were talking about on this.
In the meantime have been checking out some different Marillion albums and alos watched 'Live at Cadogan' and "Holidays in Zelande" which is about 6 hours of music on it.
I liked Fish more as the lead singer but after watching these live albums slowly warming up to Steve Hogarth. Musically I like how the band plays, it sometimes takes me a while to get used to certain singers.

peter

.. In the meantime have been checking out some different Marillion albums and alos watched 'Live at Cadogan' and "Holidays in Zelande" which is about 6 hours of music on it.

I like those two blu-rays a lot! I never new Marillion when Fish was the front man. Only discovered them recently and I like Steve Hogarth - Great voice (and love the way he plays the cricket bat!)

Hey. I see this now listed at Amazon.com (sorry, no link). However, they list it as a single disc, not the 3 disc set. They also don't mention that it is Region-Free (per Marillion.com) I've notified Amazon to check into this. Before I order. Thanks.

Back