Marillion in 5.1 (Sounds That Can't Be Made) Confirmed!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do NOT buy that 1 disc retail version as it will only contain disc 1 (live concert) from the 3 disc set and not the studio album in 5.1.

Do NOT buy that 1 disc retail version as it will only contain disc 1 (live concert) from the 3 disc set and not the studio album in 5.1.

Yes, and that makes the 3 disc set relatively good value, if you look at it this way :- £30 for the 3 disc set, less £15 for the disc 1 live concert, makes £15 for the 5.1 studio album plus the extra live blu ray disc for free :)

Ordered :cool:

Yes, and that makes the 3 disc set relatively good value, if you look at it this way :- £30 for the 3 disc set, less £15 for the disc 1 live concert, makes £15 for the 5.1 studio album plus the extra live blu ray disc for free :)

Ordered :cool:
I still say it will eventually be listed as the 3 disc set, especially at that price. I didn't know there was a 1 disc Blu-Ray being offered; not seen at Marillion.com. Will wait and see...

I still say it will eventually be listed as the 3 disc set, especially at that price. I didn't know there was a 1 disc Blu-Ray being offered; not seen at Marillion.com. Will wait and see...

Hey Patrick....what edition is that "Flying Eyeball" poster\print you're using for your avatar?

Hey Patrick....what edition is that "Flying Eyeball" poster\print you're using for your avatar?

Hey. That is the 28x44 inch Silkscreen released in the late 80's. #30/500, and signed by Rick Griffin. Nice piece, I must say. My boatload of original posters from those times sit rolled in a box. I don't what avenue I would take to part with them.

Hey. That is the 28x44 inch Silkscreen released in the late 80's. #30/500, and signed by Rick Griffin. Nice piece, I must say. My boatload of original posters from those times sit rolled in a box. I don't what avenue I would take to part with them.

I have an original playbill for the Jeff Beck group and a lithograph of the Yardbirds (featuring Beck and Page). They're both signed by Jeff Beck...

I got the Marillion STCBM and have not listened to it enough yet only 1.5 times but first impression is this a very strange mix/master done on this by Mike Hunter.
First song is louder as others have said and second song the vocals are very faint then songs 3 and 4 the vocals sound much better as well as instrument placements sound better to me as well. When the whole band is playing a more aggressive parts I just find its like big stereo thats were I have been spoiled by Steven Wilson's mixes as they sound so much better than whats been done here. On the plus side I do like the songwriting and playing of this album so will enjoy getting to know this album better through more listening.

peter

Marillion's manager mentioned that the retail edition will only be 1 disc. The only way to get the 3-disc is from Marillion's own label, Racket Records.

Thank you, Simon, for the "case-closed" clarification. Please ask the manager to tell them it may be quite proftable for them to release STCME as a standalone 5.1. More $$$ for the band.

So what's the general consensus on this disc?

Still haven't hit the 'buy' button on it yet (too many things to order…), but I'm curious to see what people who have this disc are saying about it.

So what's the general consensus on this disc?

Still haven't hit the 'buy' button on it yet (too many things to order…), but I'm curious to see what people who have this disc are saying about it.

From my point of view, a bit of an amateur mix. Only buy it if you like the record. However, in terms of sound quality it's much much better than the CD

As a fan of Marillion, it is with heavy heart that I agree with César. The mix is discrete to a point but you really have to turn up the rears and even then, the results are uneven.

If I was crazy wealthy, I would champion Steve Wilson, Andy J or Clearmountain to mix the band's entire catalog.
It is a curse - Bryan Adams' Reckless & Marley's Legend get a surround respect and pop-prog masterpieces like Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Marbles and Brave are left to wallow in 2. hell

If I was crazy wealthy, I would champion Steve Wilson, Andy J or Clearmountain to mix the band's entire catalog.
It is a curse - Bryan Adams' Reckless & Marley's Legend get a surround respect and pop-prog masterpieces like Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Marbles and Brave are left to wallow in 2. hell

It's not really up to them. They can only say 'yes' or 'no' to what they are offered to mix by the artists and record labels.
And if there is no initiative from the artists and record labels to get it done, it doesn't happen.

From my point of view, a bit of an amateur mix. Only buy it if you like the record. However, in terms of sound quality it's much much better than the CD

Funnily enough I listened to this last night for the first time in a while. I agree with César in that the sound quality is much much better than the CD. It wasn't one of my favourite Marillion albums, many of the songs didn't seem to go anywhere, and the production I thought was a bit muddy. The blu ray has given me a better appreciation of the album and I like it. Yes its uneven, in that some of the songs don't have much discrete in the rears, but there are some songs where I think the 5.1 really works well. I think its a worthwhile purchase, especially as the live concert videos that accompany it are so good (y).

Steven Wilson already mixed for Marillion... but it was in stereo and it was for marillion.com which is widely regarded as one of the band's worst, sound-wise. SW didn't especially shine on this one, average work - I mean he certainly did his best with sub-par material, so that it was listenable... but far from PTree's output.

(At this point I have to say I really like .com !)

We all expect Brave and Misplaced CHildhood to come out in surround sound one day or another, but it might be another, a far, far away another day. Very far away. And I'm afraid Marillion's management couldn't care less about this kind of release. Now, I'd gladly be proven wrong, and buy any kind of surround release of these two albums, any day, anyhow.

Steven Wilson already mixed for Marillion... but it was in stereo and it was for marillion.com which is widely regarded as one of the band's worst, sound-wise. SW didn't especially shine on this one, average work - I mean he certainly did his best with sub-par material, so that it was listenable... but far from PTree's output.

(At this point I have to say I really like .com !)

We all expect Brave and Misplaced CHildhood to come out in surround sound one day or another, but it might be another, a far, far away another day. Very far away. And I'm afraid Marillion's management couldn't care less about this kind of release. Now, I'd gladly be proven wrong, and buy any kind of surround release of these two albums, any day, anyhow.

I actually really like the sound of .com. If I remember correctly, I read that there were some serious struggles with the recording of that album (can't remember the exact details) and because of that it was mixed several times by different people. Steven was asked to take a stab and they liked what he did so went with it.

Steven also mixed a few tracks on Marbles too. I really wish that would be mixed to surround, it's begging for it.

Back