Maybe Oldfield Five Miles Out and Crises in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From Mike's facebook account today

It is winter here in Bahamas ( well it doesn't go much lower then 70 F. ) and I have a few weeks before getting stuck into the Rock project, so I have asked my wonderful record company for the multitracks of Five Miles Out and Crises to be transferred from analog tape to digital ( I hope they don't have to bake them like they did with T.Bells ! ) Looking forward V much to listening to these albums and seeing what I can do maybe in 5.1 surround.
Love Mike

more at http://tubular.net/forums/mike-on-five-miles-out-and-crises-remixes--?act=ST;f=41;t=10971

Woo Hoo !

Not my fave Oldfield records but I'd buy them (again) if the mixes were decent and not just DD.

Wasn't Amarok in the pipeline?? Did anything happen with that?

Oh boy! I had already lost hope, especially after Platinum and QE2 in stereo only!

LizardKing, Amarok is 1990 and he just reached 1983... 4 albums to go till he reaches it. Let's hope!

Oh boy! I had already lost hope, especially after Platinum and QE2 in stereo only!

LizardKing, Amarok is 1990 and he just reached 1983... 4 albums to go till he reaches it. Let's hope!

FYI - There were (IIRC) some rumours about Amarok being done....last year.

Not my fave Oldfield records but I'd buy them (again) if the mixes were decent and not just DD.

I hope Universal get their act together and release these 5.1's as DTS at the very least! Preferably a proper Adv Res DVDA of course, or even BDA but extremely doubtful given all the previous M.O Dolby D releases so far :(

Recently I got the Deluxe vesions of Tubular Bells and Ommadawn and am very impressed with the DVD 5.1 mixes.

I got the lossless 24/48 5.1 .flac download of Tubular Bells from Bowers & Wilkins, I hope they plan to release the other 5.1 mixes as a lossless download as well and that perhaps Mike has heard enough input through this announcement on the Facebook page to push for either Hybrid SACD, DVD-A or Blu-ray Audio. Any of those would be a welcome improvement over the bit-rate starved Dolby Digital that's shown up on the first four albums.

However that we're even talking about this for a future release is awesome news as I too thought 5.1 was toast for future Oldfield releases after the omissions on QE2 and Platinum. I prefer Five Miles Out and Crises over either QE2 and Platinum although I do have soft spots for North Star and Sheba, so I fully welcome this news and am super excited that possibly Discovery may get the multi-channel treatment next. The Lake is one of my favourite Oldfield instrumental pieces and every pop song on there is golden.

Another awesome update:

Just got some of the multi tracks and spent the morning listening in rough 5.1. They sound perfect ! Just as good as they ever were and some tracks like Family Man really ROCK in 5.1. There is an old version of the song Five Mile Out on this master wich is great but is not the one that got used. They tell me there are some more Multi Masters in the oven over the weekend so I'm hopeful the actual Master will be on those reels. Quite overcome listening to them as they have Pierre Moerlin and Morris Pert on drums. Lots of work to do!

Bolded put a huge smile on my face.

I got the lossless 24/48 5.1 .flac download of Tubular Bells from Bowers & Wilkins, I hope they plan to release the other 5.1 mixes as a lossless download as well and that perhaps Mike has heard enough input through this announcement on the Facebook page to push for either Hybrid SACD, DVD-A or Blu-ray Audio. Any of those would be a welcome improvement over the bit-rate starved Dolby Digital that's shown up on the first four albums.

I got those too, and have to say that the sound quality is a massive upgrade over the dolby DVD's.
Still not totally convinced by the new mix though, as the end of Part 1 to me sounds like an anticlimax when the signature Bells come in. The 4-channel Quad is much more powerful there.
That said, it is a very aggressive mix and I like a lot of the ideas

An (really good !) update from Mike
Update Jan 30:
Well the FMO and Crises Ampex tapes are all there but they have to be baked and also some of the edits have come apart so the audio archiving technicians are busy working and they say I will get the first batch of digital files by the end of the week so thumbs are a twiddling here.

Update Feb 1:
Just got some of the multi tracks and spent the morning listening in rough 5.1. They sound perfect ! Just as good as they ever were and some tracks like Family Man really ROCK in 5.1. There is an old version of the song Five Mile Out on this master wich is great but is not the one that got used. They tell me there are some more Multi Masters in the oven over the weekend so I'm hopeful the actual Master will be on those reels.

Quite overcome listening to them as they have Pierre Moerlin and Morris Pert on drums.

Lots of work to do !
Looks like he's getting into the 5.1 thing again

Can't wait to hear "Moonlight Shadow" in full 5.1 discrete surround. Good on ya, Mike. Your recent remixes of "Tubular Bells" and "Ommadawn" were a revelation. Thanks for those, and thanks in advance for what you bring us in the future.

I think Mike's getting better and better at this, and I hope these see the light of day. It's his legacy and on the surface it seems he has take notice at least a little bit...I hope he runs with it and see the *full* potential,

I'm just happy to see the man, himself, on our forum. When the artists whose music we all love are here to hear our thoughts and opinions on their offerings, especially where surround sound is concerned, it shows us they care about their fans. Mike, again, thanks for your contributions to our "addiction", and it's nice to see you share our enthusiasm.

Back