Maybe Oldfield Five Miles Out and Crises in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My copy arrived, and I listened. Yes, there are differences between the remixed version and the original. But why does that make it bad? All I seem to read here is criticism of the remixed versions of this and "5 Miles Out". I've seen very little said in praise of them, and for their inclusion of a 5.1 surround mix. I will not say anything bad about it, because quite frankly, I like these remixes. Obviously, Mike saw what he perceived as room for improvement, and he acted on it. It's presumptuous to think the original is the perfect version; if Mike had thought that, he wouldn't have wanted to remix them. We also have to appreciate his feeding our surround addictions with the 5.1 versions. And I was glad to see DTS included on the "Crises" DVD. If Mike were to read this thread start to finish, he'd probably decide no one appreciates what he's trying to do here and can the whole idea of finishing the project. Do we really want to discourage someone who has shown us he's on our side? If you prefer the original versions, great. Listen to them and enjoy. I see the remixes as a supplement to the original, and in some cases on his past remixes, he's actually made them sound better. And the surround was a great bonus. So let's start appreciating what he's giving us, and the fact that he still believes in surround sound. Not too many artists do anymore.

Acoustic Sounds has Mike Oldfield's Crisis 30th Anniversary set as a 96Khz/24 bit FLAC download. It's doesn't specify anything about the 5.1 tracks. The description reads:

"This Super Deluxe Edition features remastered tracks from the 5-disc box set, which featured CDs and DVDs of live tracks and performances."

Anybody know anything about the 5.1 on this release? http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95946/Mike_Oldfield-Crises-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download

Listening to Five Miles Out in YouTube.0
No poll for the DVD-V 5.1?
I love this record so much! I can't be home to listen to it in 5.1 glory, but I still loves it!
Necrobump!

I've never seen a poll for this, or for Crises 5.1, and I have them both. I love both of these albums and I think the 5.1s are great. There's some noticeably different takes used for some songs, compared to the original albums, some differences sound a bit jarring. Overall though the sound is good and they're an enjoyable listen.

I've never seen a poll for this, or for Crises 5.1, and I have them both. I love both of these albums and I think the 5.1s are great. There's some noticeably different takes used for some songs, compared to the original albums, some differences sound a bit jarring. Overall though the sound is good and they're an enjoyable listen.

I've never heard the 5.1 for Crisis. It was only part of a BIGBOX right?
Conversely, I don't know Five Miles Out in stereo well enough to compare to the surround yet. I enjoy both when they're playing. :)

I've never heard the 5.1 for Crisis. It was only part of a BIGBOX right?
Conversely, I don't know Five Miles Out in stereo well enough to compare to the surround yet. I enjoy both when they're playing. :)

Yes, Crises was only in a box unfortunately. Five Miles Out 5.1 was an excellent price if I remember.

I have never listened to the stereo versions, thus any 5.1 mixes are okay with me.

Let's get a poll going for Five Miles Out please! Crisis? Eh, don't care. Can't afford it! :confused:

It's been a long time since I gave this one a shot and I'm not sure why I wrote it off as not being such a great 5.1 mix initially but anyway, I came back to listen to Mount Teidi and just about ended with tears running down my cheeks - it sounds bloody awesome in 5.1! Massive dynamics, can really be cranked up, great spacious sound field, love it.

It's been a long time since I gave this one a shot and I'm not sure why I wrote it off as not being such a great 5.1 mix initially but anyway, I came back to listen to Mount Teidi and just about ended with tears running down my cheeks - it sounds bloody awesome in 5.1! Massive dynamics, can really be cranked up, great spacious sound field, love it.

I was most put off by "Family Man". It's slower (and therefore in a lower key) than the original release and just sounds wrong to me.

Anyway, Tubular Bells, Ommadawn & Discovery 5.1 mixes are currently available for cheap as part of Amazon Germany's 3 for €25 sale.

Last edited:
Back