Maybe Oldfield Five Miles Out and Crises in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought the extensions were reserved within the bandwidth whether they contained ES or 96 metadata or not, but can't find a white paper.

Given that DTS existed long before the ES and 24/96 extensions were invented I can't see how that would be the case. It may always be encoded that way today, but at some point in the past it wouldn't have been. Find an old encoder?

You're right, it was just under two years between the first dts DVD and the first dts-es DVD.
I sent dts a comment to ask them for a white paper and/or to answer the question, stuff like that always piques my curiosity! :)

I just want to report that "Five Miles Out" 2CD/DVD edition also features 96/24 DTS for the surround disc. Playable without TV, just select the language to dts after playing the DD. Dts sound much fuller than DD on this disc.
The mix itself is totally different from the album version. Raw, rough, dry and highlighting the bass guitar of all instruments. Not faithful to the stereo by any means, much more like an alternate take.

My Five Miles Out order has shipped from Amazom UK, but my Crises (which I ordered at the same time) has not.... :(

I'm starting to get worried!!!

My Five Miles Out order has shipped from Amazom UK, but my Crises (which I ordered at the same time) has not.... :(

I'm starting to get worried!!!

I got my Crises from Amazon (not listened to it yet, a few more on the pile above it), but my Five Miles Out from Spin CDs hasn't shipped yet. :( Perhaps these have sold so well the record company hasn't produced enough?

I got my Crises from Amazon (not listened to it yet, a few more on the pile above it), but my Five Miles Out from Spin CDs hasn't shipped yet. :( Perhaps these have sold so well the record company hasn't produced enough?

I had my Five Miles Out for a few days, and my Crises has shipped....

I got my 5MO from Amazon UK > North America last week, really liked the 5.1 mix of the title track and all three discs have superb wide open dynamics. Will seek to listen to Taurus II properly this week-end.

I got back in on the next pressing for Amazon UK of Crises now that they re-listed it at 35 pounds, works out shipped cheaper than ordering from Amazon USA.

I just want to report that "Five Miles Out" 2CD/DVD edition also features 96/24 DTS for the surround disc. Playable without TV, just select the language to dts after playing the DD. Dts sound much fuller than DD on this disc.
The mix itself is totally different from the album version. Raw, rough, dry and highlighting the bass guitar of all instruments. Not faithful to the stereo by any means, much more like an alternate take.

Its an interesting alternative to the original Stereo that's for sure. 'Five Miles Out' is more jarring for me than 'Crises' as I never owned it before even so the mix is reverby (sic) in places where the original mix was quite dry and vice versa. If you are going to do a 5.1 mix I suppose its the radical and just as valid alternative to the 'Wilson' school of mixing

I got my 5MO from Amazon UK > North America last week, really liked the 5.1 mix of the title track and all three discs have superb wide open dynamics. Will seek to listen to Taurus II properly this week-end.

I got back in on the next pressing for Amazon UK of Crises now that they re-listed it at 35 pounds, works out shipped cheaper than ordering from Amazon USA.

35 pounds? That's a pretty scandalous price given there's no lossless copy of the 5.1 on there. 35 UKP is high for a DVD-A but for DVD-V only it's a total rip off. Any thoughts I had of buying this have evaporated.

its a 5-disc boxset.

How does it manage that? The original release of Crises is a single CD. 5 discs and still no lossless 5.1? What is the world coming to?

And I've just bought a 13 CD boxset of Maurice Andre playing trumpet for 20 UKP, so there's still no need for 35 UKP.

How does it manage that? The original release of Crises is a single CD. 5 discs and still no lossless 5.1? What is the world coming to?

And I've just bought a 13 CD boxset of Maurice Andre playing trumpet for 20 UKP, so there's still no need for 35 UKP.

I don't know!? loads of extras, incl. 2 DVDs? I'm not defending it, just saying its not a regular Mike Oldfield/Universal 2-disc Deluxe Edition, its a 5 disc Super Deluxe Whatsitmajob!

I don't know!? loads of extras, incl. 2 DVDs? I'm not defending it, just saying its not a regular Mike Oldfield/Universal 2-disc Deluxe Edition, its a 5 disc Super Deluxe Whatsitmajob!

Fair enough. Personally I don't want all that junk, I just want a lossless surround mix of the music. I have the same problem with the Pink Floyd Immersion sets.

I think this is actually a bargain for £35- the remastered album CD with bonus tracks, a whole amazing 2 hour live concert on CD, a DVD with video from the same live concert plus promo videos and TV spots, AND the 5.1 disc.

(And a nice box and a small hardback book thing.)

Compare and contrast with the Peter Gabriel "So" box set.

Fair enough. Personally I don't want all that junk, I just want a lossless surround mix of the music. I have the same problem with the Pink Floyd Immersion sets.

Agreed, the Floyd boxes were a huge overkill with a huge price just for one bloody disc (the 5.1)

I think this is actually a bargain for £35- the remastered album CD with bonus tracks, a whole amazing 2 hour live concert on CD, a DVD with video from the same live concert plus promo videos and TV spots, AND the 5.1 disc.

(And a nice box and a small hardback book thing.)

Compare and contrast with the Peter Gabriel "So" box set.

You are right, its not a bad price for the content, but most of us here just want the album in 5.1

I gave So a new name for that box set ' So What ?'

You are right, its not a bad price for the content, but most of us here just want the album in 5.1

I gave So a new name for that box set ' So What ?'

I thought £35 for the Crises box was pretty darned reasonable, but then as an Oldfield fan, all the extras were of interest. I agree that a simple CD/DVD combo at the £10 to £15 mark would've been nice.

Much like the current Goldfrapp debacle that means that if you want the 5.1 mix of Tales of Us, you need to part with £65 for the box set :/ That, IMHO, is far worse than Crises.

I've got Five Miles Out, but as yet have not ordered Crises. The Five Miles Out 5.1 sounds like a very different mix to the original, it even seems to chop some bits out. I'll have to give it a few more spins to try and get used to it. Can anyone tell me - is the Crises 5.1 just as radical?

I really should get the Crises one too. Not only for the 5.1, but also for the live Wembley stuff, especially as I was at that gig in the front row! My memory of the gig is good, but some of the music was getting a bit too heavy metal sounding for Mike Oldfield.

I've got Five Miles Out, but as yet have not ordered Crises. The Five Miles Out 5.1 sounds like a very different mix to the original, it even seems to chop some bits out. I'll have to give it a few more spins to try and get used to it. Can anyone tell me - is the Crises 5.1 just as radical?

I really should get the Crises one too. Not only for the 5.1, but also for the live Wembley stuff, especially as I was at that gig in the front row! My memory of the gig is good, but some of the music was getting a bit too heavy metal sounding for Mike Oldfield.

Both albums have radically different 5.1 mixes, Odd use of reverb, i even thought the gutar are the start of 'Moonlight shadow' was a different take.

i like it but it is different if you know the albums

Last edited:
Both albums have radically different 5.1 mixes, Odd use of reverb, i even thought teh gutar are the start of 'Moonlight shadow' was a different take.

i like it but it is different if you know the albums

Very different.... The start of Moonlight shadow is totally different as an example...

Back