• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Members old and new should read this thread > > >

My friends, when I played back the quad, basically said "nnnh", absolutely no interest. In fact, I've met very few folks personally and face to face that give a rat's ass about high resolution audio through all these years since, what? 1972'ish?
That is because those people have a life and more important things to worry about than having the lowest THD on their Yoko Ono albums.

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star
I hate to admit it...but I was one of those "who needs 4 speakers" guys...there was a quad radio station(which went under quickly)within my listening area...back in the day my dream turntable was a Thorens...never got one..and the closest thing I came to a shibata...well it was the bread on a sandwich:violin
I hear ya. Quad radio in the Tampa Bay area back when as well, it went under pretty quick.

To be honest, I really think the Chicago set was a bit of a one-off in that it was a perfect storm of:

A) surround mixes long ago completed.
B) band owns/controls their own masters.
C) band was on board with releasing these surround masters.
D) band already has a direct distribution relationship with a boutique-ish reissue label.
E) popular enough band for good sales potential.
F) enough of a catalog for a "boxed set" to make sense.

I don't know that all those things exist for any other band or record label. Those 4 Doobies albums probably come the closest, but I don't know that enough of those qualifications are met even in their case for it to pencil out for Rhino. Hopefully they do!

Not that Rhino probably won't squeeze some old quad mixes out there if they can. It seems like they are at least somewhat energized to do so right and this new Doors set is a good indication --- even IF those quads have already recently been released!

On the other side of this coin---I remain optimistic in one regard: the labels obviously still like selling physical product when and where they can. There's much more money for them to make doing that than selling individual downloads. And as the market for physical product decreases, those niche markets who are still willing to purchase it suddenly become more interesting. If it is seen that having a surround mix on those big packages helps sales, that might help encourage the labels and bands to loosen up their grip on those mixes.

I wonder, for example---did that Fleetwood Mac "Tango In The Night" set with no 5.1 sell as well as the previous "Tusk" and "Mirage" sets? I know of at least ONE sale they didn't get..... :)

Make that two... I did not buy Tango in the Night because there was no 5.1 mix...

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
Make that two... I did not buy Tango in the Night because there was no 5.1 mix...
I too was disappointed a 5.1 mix wasn't included in the SDE set of Tango In The Night and like you i eschewed it on that basis.

however, QQ member foraging rhino (who is the Rhino record label) suggested on QQ recently that a new 5.1 remix of Tango In The Night was considered for the set but when going thru the vaults to search for the multitrack elements required to create a 5.1 surround mix they were overwhelmed with all sorts of reels and tapes without coming across the exact elements they needed and so it became impossible to go ahead with it.

(paraphrasing like mad but sad as the upshot is, it was something along those lines that meant it's not come to pass afaik!)

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
oh yes, i meant to add, all is not totally lost for the Tango In The Night album, as it gives a pretty nifty pseudo surround effect when processed/upmixed thru the Involve mode of the Surround Master (just imho!).. sooo, if you have a Surround Master, try it with Tango, its pretty cool (i reckon, i do!) :D

skherbeck

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I too was disappointed a 5.1 mix wasn't included in the SDE set of Tango In The Night and like you i eschewed it on that basis.

however, QQ member foraging rhino (who is the Rhino record label) suggested on QQ recently that a new 5.1 remix of Tango In The Night was considered for the set but when going thru the vaults to search for the multitrack elements required to create a 5.1 surround mix they were overwhelmed with all sorts of reels and tapes without coming across the exact elements they needed and so it became impossible to go ahead with it.

(paraphrasing like mad but sad as the upshot is, it was something along those lines that meant it's not come to pass afaik!)
Since they're so overwhelmed by the multitracks, wouldn't it be cool if they would just release the imperfect multitracks they have (like Led Zeppelin did with several of their songs) and let the fans have fun making their own mixes! (I know it would never happen, but I'd pay for multitracks... I've actually paid over $30 for multitracks of a single song... just so I could have another Christmas song in surround!)

SpecWeb also works nicely for the Tango album, by the way:)

Clint Eastwood

oh yes, i meant to add, all is not totally lost for the Tango In The Night album, as it gives a pretty nifty pseudo surround effect when processed/upmixed thru the Involve mode of the Surround Master (just imho!).. sooo, if you have a Surround Master, try it with Tango, its pretty cool (i reckon, i do!) :D
First a disclaimer...those that wouldn't play a CD or feel ashamed at the very thought of hearing something that isn't hi rez...you shouldn't read the rest of this post...but for the others...let's proceed...Adam..I have this cd and it sounds excellent...even with basic modes offered on a AVR its sounds impressive...have you ever used the surround master on this CD..if not what source did you use?

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
First a disclaimer...those that wouldn't play a CD or feel ashamed at the very thought of hearing something that isn't hi rez...you shouldn't read the rest of this post...but for the others...let's proceed...Adam..I have this cd and it sounds excellent...even with basic modes offered on a AVR its sounds impressive...have you ever used the surround master on this CD..if not what source did you use?
I used this Mr.E;

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/33480

(my German pressed for the UK LP from 1987)

sounded right proper nice like, it did! :D

I imagine your CD would give better results with the uptick in Stereo separation, lack of surface noise, no snap, crackle or pop tarts to pollute the airwaaaayyyyyves! :p

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
QQ member foraging rhino (who is the Rhino record label) suggested on QQ recently that a new 5.1 remix of Tango In The Night was considered for the set but when going thru the vaults to search for the multitrack elements required to create a 5.1 surround mix they were overwhelmed with all sorts of reels and tapes without coming across the exact elements they needed and so it became impossible to go ahead with it.
That is often a challenge when researching and considering a Surround Sound (4.0 or 5.1 channel) release of a classic album from decades earlier.
Sometimes you have missing tapes (some or all), sometimes the wrong album comes up when you look for a specific album number, etc.

It also explains why the best scenario is always when an album is mixed and released for Surround Sound up front.
Then there is no searching for tapes from years and years ago, no remix costs (because the album was specifically mixed and recorded for Surround, etc.) and it all comes out at once.

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
Originally Posted by keywhiz

I remain optimistic in one regard: the labels obviously still like selling physical product when and where they can. There's much more money for them to make doing that than selling individual downloads. And as the market for physical product decreases, those niche markets who are still willing to purchase it suddenly become more interesting.
You are right that niche markets - like Analog Tape, Vinyl LP, SACD - are becoming more interesting to the labels.
They are among the few places left today where consumers are still buying music on physical media formats.

As for "There's much more money for them to make doing that than selling individual downloads", that isn't true.
The cost of album downloads is at - and in some cases - above the price of a CD but below the price of an LP or Analog Tape edition.

So downloads are appealing to many listeners in that they provide high quality, high-resolution editions of albums.
At a cost lower than LP or Analog Tape.

The number of downloads coming out these days demonstrates that.
The major record labels wouldn't be issuing as many digital downloads as they are (more new titles these days than new titles on LP, SACD, BD Audio or DVD-A) if they weren't selling. :)

I still play plenty of cds :)(y) one of my favourite recordings (sound quality wise) is a cd :banana:

I have several CDs that I bought in the 80's that sound better, fidelity-wise, than most of my hi-rez discs. The recent hi-rez remasters that we keep seeing are being made from 40+ year old masters and multitrack tapes that have deteriorated over the years. In a lot of cases they probably don't sound as good as 30-year old redbook CDs that were produced when the tapes were still relatively fresh.

Clint Eastwood

I have several CDs that I bought in the 80's that sound better, fidelity-wise, than most of my hi-rez discs. The recent hi-rez remasters that we keep seeing are being made from 40+ year old masters and multitrack tapes that have deteriorated over the years. In a lot of cases they probably don't sound as good as 30-year old redbook CDs that were produced when the tapes were fresh.
That's true plus the "modern" mastering reduces the dynamic range:(

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
I have several CDs that I bought in the 80's that sound better, fidelity-wise, than most of my hi-rez discs.
Depends on many factors. On my system, the SACD, SHM-SACD and DSD Download editions of earleir albums do sound much better than their CD counterparts in most cases.

Clint Eastwood

The 80s CDs were mastered before the dynamic range compression era arrived. Just about every old CD I have sounds better than any remaster I've heard since. I don't think it has much to do with ageing master tapes.
Most of time it's the mastering...although there are times when the tapes have been in poor condition...not necessarily from ageing..but poor storage...fires..water damage...whereas these things wouldn't have happened if they would have been done decades earlier..