Mercedes-Benz Signature Sound DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now a dts encoded cd is something that technically could be done.....:cool:

actually it would be 2 dts cd's there is so much stuff on it.

and whilst some things like Creedence were more 3.1 than 5.1 (bit like Time Out sacd)...the 3.1 mix was so much better than just the usual stereo cd mix, you still would play it for that alone in preference to the usual stereo.

not to mention how friggin good the Lady Gaga track is...

This disc was engineered and mixed for the Mercedes SL automobile. I have listened to the disc on my friends SL system and on my home system. The disc sounds good and is a lot of fun on my home system but really shines with the SL. I own this disc and it is a proud addition to my collection.

This disc was engineered and mixed for the Mercedes SL automobile. I have listened to the disc on my friends SL system and on my home system. The disc sounds good and is a lot of fun on my home system but really shines with the SL. I own this disc and it is a proud addition to my collection.
Does your friend with the SL have one of these discs also?

Does your friend with the SL have one of these discs also?

I made a dts CD of the rock/pop portion of his disc and he preferred the disc I made so I now have his disc. I also prefer listening to the dts CD due to the fact that I am not a big fan of Classical Music.

Well well well. Finally got my hands on a copy of this disc!

I must say that I really like it. I have never hard a good bunch of the songs on it before (Nikka Costa, Alex Max Band, Jason Derulo etc.) and I was afraid they would suck, but to my mind, they don't. This is all good pop music! Some hits I didn't have in my collection before, too (Lady Gaga, James Blunt). The mixes range from, uh, reverb in the rears (CCR) to completely off the hook (Fine Young Cannibals). It's true, the FYC track sounds a bit odd at first, but I think it's pretty cool! They really tore that one apart for 5.1.

I find it interesting that the mixes are so uneven. Probably everybody in the production team had a few assigned to them. But here's the thing, guys. Even when the mixes are more subtle, in most cases, there's still discrete rear activity at enough points. All the songs sound great (I would have liked a bit more punch and clarity in "Owner of a lonely heart"), and in almost all cases, the vocals are in the center, which I personally very much like.

Oh yeah, and about that "specifically designed for the Mercedes car" hoo-ha, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The mixes sound good, period.

So yeah, I guess it's up to anybody to decide for themselves, but for what it's worth, I like this disk. Nice music all throughout, good sound, mostly nice mixes.

EDIT: major credit goes to a fellow QQ member for making it possible for me to obtain a copy of this disc. I love this community.

Last edited:
Well well well. Finally got my hands on a copy of this disc!

I must say that I really like it. I have never hard a good bunch of the songs on it before (Nikka Costa, Alex Max Band, Jason Derulo etc.) and I was afraid they would suck, but to my mind, they don't. This is all good pop music! Some hits I didn't have in my collection before, too (Lady Gaga, James Blunt). The mixes range from, uh, reverb in the rears (CCR) to completely off the hook (Fine Young Cannibals). It's true, the FYC track sounds a bit odd at first, but I think it's pretty cool! They really tore that one apart for 5.1.

I find it interesting that the mixes are so uneven. Probably everybody in the production team had a few assigned to them. But here's the thing, guys. Even when the mixes are more subtle, in most cases, there's still discrete rear activity at enough points. All the songs sound great (I would have liked a bit more punch and clarity in "Owner of a lonely heart"), and in almost all cases, the vocals are in the center, which I personally very much like.

Oh yeah, and about that "specifically designed for the Mercedes car" hoo-ha, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. The mixes sound good, period.

So yeah, I guess it's up to anybody to decide for themselves, but for what it's worth, I like this disk. Nice music all throughout, good sound, mostly nice mixes.

EDIT: major credit goes to a fellow QQ member for making it possible for me to obtain a copy of this disc. I love this community.

thanks for the great feedback TBS! how's the surround mixes on the James Blunt and Lady Gaga tracks?

hope they're more than just reverb, Gaga in particular has oodles of possibilities for 5.1!

Look out the window, tell me what do you see.. a beautiful door prize.. a Mercedes DVD.. DVD.. DVD.. ! :smokin

A SL to go with it would be nice too!!! Shipping costs to NZ might be prohibitive though! :eek:

Well, thanks to a QQ Member, I got to hear this disc, and it's very worthy! I rate it higher than QL did. The tracks shine in the Acura, well, most of them do. The "Owner of A Lonley Heart" and "Poker Face" tracks stand way out as first rate demo tracks. I had never heard "Poker Face" before, but found myself liking it a lot. Many of these tunes I did not have in any format, but have heard along the way.

These are real 5.1 mixes, not fakes. The rears are used differently for each tune. The CCR track is a big tease, very discrete with the center channel just the voice and bass, but the vocal is also in the fronts. Rears just ambience. Almost a 3.0 mix.

One thing I noticed listening in the car is that the center speaker is very dominant, which works well in a car as it's pretty much right in your face. Some of these mixes use that to the fullest, and it's not as noticable listening on the PC or at home, as you are not so close to the speakers and in a closed environment.

Since this is the most current Rhino surround project, it's a GOD DAMN SHAME that these tracks are not readily available. The newer tracks like "Poker Face" lend themself SO WELL to 5.1, with the synths and all spread out all around, makes you wonder what could have been, would have been, should have been. Current music would sound GREAT in 5.1, and one might imagine a surround sound setup in a dance club environment.

Anyway, one of these just sold again for $90 or so, so keep looking. It's a great disc that tends to grow on the listener, at least it did with me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281031798557

In with Linda on this one....

Although the mix is discrete for Owner of a Lonely Heart (to me) the vocals don't have the same "sound" as the original stereo mix. I popped by the stereo mix on after hearing it to check and it's quite different.

Back