Michael Jackson's Thriller in 3D & Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOT 3D nor Dolby Atmos, received an email from CDJapan today that this was AGAIN available: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEODAI-19324

Of course the price is ridiculous for a single layered Stereo SACD and it also incurs CDJapan's PROXY service fee (NO cancellations accepted, EXTRA shipping/handling fees, NO bonus points, etc.) but the title "Second Hand Thriller" most intrigued me. :yikes

NOT 3D nor Dolby Atmos, received an email from CDJapan today that this was AGAIN available: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEODAI-19324

Of course the price is ridiculous for a single layered Stereo SACD and it also incurs CDJapan's PROXY service fee (NO cancellations accepted, EXTRA shipping/handling fees, NO bonus points, etc.) but the title "Second Hand Thriller" most intrigued me. :yikes

i think its a used copy of the Stereo SACD sold via CD Japan thru a 3rd party and not a reissue of the OOP SACD?

I'm fortunate to have an EXCELLENT cd version of Thriller...I play it all the time and I'm glad I took the time to "hunt it down" several years ago...check out the DR HERE...it's a shame what they have done to Thriller over the years...and for those that always seek out 24/96...be careful what you wish for....it's not always "superior"....to even a standard CD...look at this mess

I'm fortunate to have an EXCELLENT cd version of Thriller...I play it all the time and I'm glad I took the time to "hunt it down" several years ago...check out the DR HERE...it's a shame what they have done to Thriller over the years...and for those that always seek out 24/96...be careful what you wish for....it's not always "superior"....to even a standard CD...look at this mess

Fortunately, I was able to purchase the original SONY single layered SACD of Thriller back in 2007 for under $12 [Used, MINT condition] and I think it sounds 'appropriately' superb on my main system.

But I do look forward to a remastered multichannel version whenever the powers that be decide to do a proper non compressed remaster due [actually overdue] one of SONY's biggest mega stars. Whether SONY decides to incorporate the entire album into their Dolby Atmos 7.1 VIDEO BD~V or UHD 4K BD~V of THRILLER will be anyone's guess.

Clint, those 96/24 DR scores of Thriller are pitiful and if it was ported over from the master tapes utilized for the SACD, that's certainly NOT what I'm hearing on my system.

Fortunately, I was able to purchase the original SONY single layered SACD of Thriller back in 2007 for under $12 [Used, MINT condition] and I think it sounds 'appropriately' superb on my main system.

But I do look forward to a remastered multichannel version whenever the powers that be decide to do a proper non compressed remaster due [actually overdue] one of SONY's biggest mega stars. Whether SONY decides to incorporate the entire album into their Dolby Atmos 7.1 VIDEO BD~V or UHD 4K BD~V of THRILLER will be anyone's guess.

Clint, those 96/24 DR scores of Thriller are pitiful and if it was ported over from the master tapes utilized for the SACD, that's certainly NOT what I'm hearing on my system.

No the SACD is a fully dynamic transfer of the master tapes.

I bought the 176.4/24 "Studio Master" (sourced from the 2006 SACD/1999 remaster & converted to PCM with "SARACON") from Qobuz a few years ago, and I think it sounds great: crisp and bright (which I like), but the bass is also nice and punchy. Definitely doesn't suffer from compression. They currently sell only the 88.2/24 version, but honestly, I'm skeptical about the value of 176.4 and higher, anyway.

Last edited:
Back