Michael Stearns

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
It would seem that Michael Stearns experimented with quad as per the notes on his album "Sacred Site". One track called "Return" was recorded in 83 with the LYRA SOUND CONSTELLATION with a quadraphonic speaker array.

Sacred Site is on Hearts of Space records HS-11038-2

FWIW,
Micheal Stearns is the chap that released "Chronos" an Ambisonic UHJ surround soundtrack for the movie of the same name.

20161217_103209.jpg20161217_103222.jpg

Unfortunately there is no way to conclude if the music was quad encoded via UHJ or any other matrix.
But it's interesting to note I thought.

I believe Michael Stearns was also the composer of the wonderful CHRONOS soundtrack. You need to have this 44 min feature on Blu Ray or at least DVD. I started with the laserdisc in 1989.

I believe Michael Stearns was also the composer of the wonderful CHRONOS soundtrack. You need to have this 44 min feature on Blu Ray or at least DVD. I started with the laserdisc in 1989.

Yea, I mentioned that in my post, thanks Timbre.:sun

I noticed this disc (Sacred Site) is actually a Best of 1983-1993 , and includes some of the tracks from "Chronos".

It would seem that Michael Stearns experimented with quad as per the notes on his album "Sacred Site". One track called "Return" was recorded in 83 with the LYRA SOUND CONSTELLATION with a quadraphonic speaker array.

Sacred Site is on Hearts of Space records HS-11038-2

FWIW,
Micheal Stearns is the chap that released "Chronos" an Ambisonic UHJ surround soundtrack for the movie of the same name.

View attachment 28056View attachment 28057

Unfortunately there is no way to conclude if the music was quad encoded via UHJ or any other matrix.
But it's interesting to note I thought.

Apologies for reawakening this thread.

The surrounddiscography site has confirmed the original sound track as UHJ:

‘Michael Stearns - Chronos, original soundtrack recording
for the film "Chronos" shown in I-MAX theaters.
Sonic Atmospheres 312 ('85)
(LP & CD)’.

I would tend to take this site’s contributors’ opinions as likely to be fact. Quite a bit of work goes into confirmation of a recording being UHJ before is goes, and stays, into print here.

I have a CD of this as well and UHJ decoder. It sounds very well when thus played back, with excellent imaging all around.

Back