MISC: JVC MM-4 4ch Display Meter

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like this in action-
MM-4

Not sure how it works, I think it must be electromechanical given the vintage. And why "Memory Meter" - that always sounded like a very odd term to me.
Yup it's an odd term, but there is in fact 3 buttons on the panel for memory mode. Perhaps it's the equivalent of peak hold?

An interesting page on the item is here. The author says it is a plasma screen display. Maybe not in the way of plasma screen TV's but maybe a variant on Nixie tube design?

Great looking, fun & funky unit. The only thing I've seen cooler than that is 17" quadscope display owned by Mark Anderson:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/technics-4-channel-afd-17-color-scope.22735/

Last edited:
Those that use an actual oscilloscope display are the coolest. The display indicates centre front, centre back , side images as well as the four corner points. As I recall all you need are several diodes connected the right way connected to the vertical and horizontal inputs of the scope. I've done it in the past. A regular scope set up beside an audio equipment rack or stand just doesn't look as nearly as cool as a purpose built unit!

Those that use an actual oscilloscope display are the coolest. The display indicates centre front, centre back , side images as well as the four corner points. As I recall all you need are several diodes connected the right way connected to the vertical and horizontal inputs of the scope. I've done it in the past. A regular scope set up beside an audio equipment rack or stand just doesn't look as nearly as cool as a purpose built unit!
Yes, that JVC thing is really only just a very fancy way of housing four VU meters. Unlike a X-Y CRT display it cannot tell you anything about the complex phase relationships between the channels.

Missed another one! darn darn darn
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/r416886065?lang=en&rc=yaucb_spView attachment 60378
If I am seeing correctly, this sold in Oct. 23, 2020 for 3,680yen(practically nothing), really dig the concept of this display, it's like a quad logo that actually shows the essence of the quad in a real way.
Darn, darn, darn indeed!! Someone got a nifty piece of equipment at a ridiculously low price ($41 USD?!)! I've been interested in one of these for a while, and passed up two on Ebay back in like 2014 (for way more money) because I decided at the time that they were just eye candy and couldn't be justified over decoders/demodulators. They still are, but I've come back around to saying "but what a nice piece of eye candy!"

I've been watching for various quadraphonic equipment on the Japanese auction sites, but in my error never looked for one of these. Time to correct that mistake...

Does any one know of anywhere that I could get details to repair
this units?
ron

Back