Mitch Mitchell died 10 years ago today (Hendrix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
One of the delights of the Electric Ladyland blu-ray is the Making Of... film with all the interviews, especially those no longer with us.

I never got to see Jimi live, but in 2008 the Experience Hendrix Tour came to Omaha.
Mitch drummed with Chris Layton from Stevie Ray's band.
(Billy Cox was on bass, and will tour with them again this Spring.)

Less than two weeks later, he died in a hotel after the tour finished.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He spent his final days celebrating Hendrix's music on the 2008 Experience Hendrix Tour.
For nearly four weeks the tour travelled on an 18-city tour of the US, finishing in Portland, Oregon.[11]

Five days after the tour ended Mitchell died in his sleep on 12 November, in his room at the Benson Hotel in Portland of "natural causes."[12]
Mitchell had been in ill health for many years due to alcohol-related problems.
He was the last surviving member of the original Experience.
Mitchell had planned to leave Portland that day to return to his home in England.
He was buried in Seattle.
He is survived by his wife, Dee, a daughter and two grandchildren.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the best books about Hendrix is the one he published in 1990, Inside The Experience.
https://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Mitch-Mitchell/dp/051757716X

Nice Speedo, Mitch.
Must be on the way to the pool from the bar.

1 (10).jpg

1 (12).jpg

1 (11).jpg

One of the delights of the Electric Ladyland blu-ray is the Making Of... film with all the interviews, especially those no longer with us.

I never got to see Jimi live, but in 2008 the Experience Hendrix Tour came to Omaha.
Mitch drummed with Chris Layton from Stevie Ray's band.
(Billy Cox was on bass, and will tour with them again this Spring.)

Less than two weeks later, he died in a hotel after the tour finished.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He spent his final days celebrating Hendrix's music on the 2008 Experience Hendrix Tour.
For nearly four weeks the tour travelled on an 18-city tour of the US, finishing in Portland, Oregon.[11]

Five days after the tour ended Mitchell died in his sleep on 12 November, in his room at the Benson Hotel in Portland of "natural causes."[12]
Mitchell had been in ill health for many years due to alcohol-related problems.
He was the last surviving member of the original Experience.
Mitchell had planned to leave Portland that day to return to his home in England.
He was buried in Seattle.
He is survived by his wife, Dee, a daughter and two grandchildren.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the tour in Denver on 10/30/08. Mitch was in great spirits. His drumming was not great, and he was not on stage as the only drummer at any point, but his energy was fantastic. My feeling was that the crowd was in full support of his presence, even if his old skills were absent. I was certainly thrilled to be in the presence of 2/3 of the final Experience.

Alas, I was 8 years old when Jimi passed, and was unaware of either his music or his passing at that time.

Many people wish they were younger. I wish I had been born 10 years earlier. To this day the music of that era is a staple in my collection.

Mitch is my all time favorite rock drummer. His jazz influenced chops were the perfect complement to Jimi’s guitar pyrotechnics. Really bummed me out when Mitch passed away as he was the last surviving member of the JHE.

Mitch is my all time favorite rock drummer. His jazz influenced chops were the perfect complement to Jimi’s guitar pyrotechnics. Really bummed me out when Mitch passed away as he was the last surviving member of the JHE.

Here you go, nearly an hour of rare concert footage....enjoy...I am!!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Back