Moody Blues Days of Future Passed (50th Anniversary Edition with Surround Sound DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a long wait, I finally received this 3 disc set and spun it last night in its entirety. Already having owned this album on DTS RBCD 5.1 and SACD, the TRUE highlight of this set was hearing the 96/24 Stereo remaster, which on my system, blew away all previous remasters. Especially the intro "Cold Hearted Orb that rules the Night....." which came out of the rears is now heard from the fronts in full throttle and startlingly brilliant resolution. All previous 5.1 remasters were, IMO, at much too low a level in the rears to render this intro truly effectively....and even boosting the rear levels on my B&W 802 Nautilus speakers doesn't even come close.

The bass levels on the 96/24 also exceed both the SACD/DTS 5.1 versions and the percussion is definitely more definitive/effortless on the 96/24 version.

Knowing that we'll probably NEVER have a remix of this album, for now, I'll be playing this 96/24 stereo remaster as my preferred version although there is much to commend about some of the mixing choices on all previous 5.1 versions but that intro really nixes the word definitive as it should've been in the fronts with the music in the rears.

After a long wait, I finally received this 3 disc set and spun it last night in its entirety. Already having owned this album on DTS RBCD 5.1 and SACD, the TRUE highlight of this set was hearing the 96/24 Stereo remaster, which on my system, blew away all previous remasters. Especially the intro "Cold Hearted Orb that rules the Night....." which came out of the rears is now heard from the fronts in full throttle and startlingly brilliant resolution. All previous 5.1 remasters were, IMO, at much too low a level in the rears to render this intro truly effectively....and even boosting the rear levels on my B&W 802 Nautilus speakers doesn't even come close.

The bass levels on the 96/24 also exceed both the SACD/DTS 5.1 versions and the percussion is definitely more definitive/effortless on the 96/24 version.

Knowing that we'll probably NEVER have a remix of this album, for now, I'll be playing this 96/24 stereo remaster as my preferred version although there is much to commend about some of the mixing choices on all previous 5.1 versions but that intro really nixes the word definitive as it should've been in the fronts with the music in the rears.

Damn!! I didn’t even listen to the stereo... need to dig it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn!! I didn’t even listen to the stereo... need to dig it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And play it in DIRECT mode [NO DSP applied] for the FULL experience.

Congrats, BTW, on your new Receiver. Coming soon to the GOS hacienda:
Dolby ATMOS and that does deserve a few :banana::banana::banana:

...the TRUE highlight of this set was hearing the 96/24 Stereo remaster, which on my system, blew away all previous remasters...

I took up your challenge to listen to the stereo remaster from this set and I find it just doesn't have the magic of the quad. Perhaps it is because I'm listening to the Q4; which is much more balanced and strong in the rear channels. I do agree that the SACD and DTS versions are weak in the rear channels.

I took up your challenge to listen to the stereo remaster from this set and I find it just doesn't have the magic of the quad. Perhaps it is because I'm listening to the Q4; which is much more balanced and strong in the rear channels. I do agree that the SACD and DTS versions are weak in the rear channels.

So it seems that I am not crazy just because I juice up the surrounds by 5 to 6dB on Nights in White Satin on the 5.1 SACD.

So it seems that I am not crazy just because I juice up the surrounds by 5 to 6dB on Nights in White Satin on the 5.1 SACD.

Even raising the rears on the DTS/SACD or newly remastered DVD by 5 or 6 db doesn't equal the spoken intro heard ON MY SYSTEM on the LOSSLESS 24/96 Stereo Remaster. Take my word for that. I mentioned, I do like the surround mix with caveats but if Steve Wilson had done the remix he would've had the fronts and rears at equal amplitude which is sorely lacking on any of the remixes. IMO, when you raise the rears by that much you are throwing everything else in the rears out of whack.

A GREAT 5.1 remaster should honor the integrity of the stereo master but whoever decided to put that lovely intro ["Cold hearted Orb that rules the night...."] into the rears at such a ridiculously hollow/low level had NO clue what they were doing.

Days of Future Passed, IMO, is seriously in need of a proper remix.....which is highly unlikely at this juncture.

Last edited:
You do have to remember that the mix was originally done at the height of four corner Quad, and at that time it was more common to place things in odd places single instruments in one corner for instance today things are a little more sophisticated which is probably reflective of the tools available to mix as well

So as to clear up yet more confusion....

First of all, the original 1967 stereo mix of the album was readily available on vinyl and tape for a long time past 1972, when the session reels were being researched in preparation for the quad releases of six of the seven. Going by my collection (YMMV), until this reissue previous CD editions from anywhere and any label had the '70s stereo remix only because, as noted, the original UK 2-track stereo mixdown master had deteriorated to the point where some of it was just unusable.

Second, though this is undoubtedly true, that doesn't mean there wasn't a stereo mixdown copy tape that wasn't available for use, since copies were sent to dozens of countries, but the most likely to be found in optimum condition would include the USA, Canada, Germany, Japan, and who knows which others. If I remember right, the stereo tape used for one reissue of A LOVE SUPREME came from Israel (!) So with some research we could have had the original mix--albeit from a 2nd gen copy--long ago. Fortunately, the original mix was long pressed on vinyl and cassette, so if you wanted to hear it, cheap and easy to do, at least in the US.

Third, with modern technology, the missing parts heard on the stereo remix and the quad mix could likely be 'flown in' to make a mix with better clarity than the original, though it still wouldn't BE the original, with its deeper bass and overall punchier mix.

Fourth, the mono mix of the original album was a reduction of the stereo mix, it wasn't a dedicated remix to mono. However, the "Nights" and "Cities" 45 WERE remixed to mono, the former without the orchestra parts (only Mike's mellotron work, which was most of the sound anyway) and the latter from what I think was a 3-track master. And to note again, the stereo mix of "Cities," though not hard to find on older CD's, is not included here, for reasons unknown.

Fifth, I'm going to assume the previous four recordings (two singles) from '67 have no stereo masters or multis to remix to stereo, since they're still mono after all these years.

Bottom line: for the original stereo mix alone, and you prefer CD's over vinyl, this collection is essential.

ED :)

Even raising the rears on the DTS/SACD or newly remastered DVD by 5 or 6 db doesn't equal the spoken intro heard ON MY SYSTEM on the LOSSLESS 24/96 Stereo Remaster. Take my word for that. I mentioned, I do like the surround mix with caveats but if Steve Wilson had done the remix he would've had the fronts and rears at equal amplitude which is sorely lacking on any of the remixes. IMO, when you raise the rears by that much you are throwing everything else in the rears out of whack.

A GREAT 5.1 remaster should honor the integrity of the stereo master but whoever decided to put that lovely intro ["Cold hearted Orb that rules the night...."] into the rears at such a ridiculously hollow/low level had NO clue what they were doing.

Days of Future Passed, IMO, is seriously in need of a proper remix.....which is highly unlikely at this juncture.

Yes. Most of the Nights in White Satin 5.1 SACD is too soft in volume in the rears. But when the orchestra finally comes in, it is way too loud with the rears cranked up that much. So I'm sitting there with my finger on the "Surround Volume" button adjusting the gain while the song is playing. Not exactly ideal, but the best we are probably going to get.

Back