Moody Blues SACD channel suggestions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrocity

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I know the Moody Blues SACDs from several years back are "adapted" quad mixes that have been fooled around with and essentially upmixed to 5.1.

What I'm wondering now that it's possible to manipulate DSD files via SoX is if the four corner channels are unmolested or if they've been altered. It would be very easy to convert ripped 5.1 files to 4.0 or to replace the center and LFE with silence...but would that just make them differently wrong?

I think in the case of the Moodies the channel levels are untouched, rather the EQ is what's different when you compare the SACDs with the Q4/Q8 versions. Apparently they went a little too far with the NR when they did the SACD remasters.

I think in the case of the Moodies the channel levels are untouched, rather the EQ is what's different when you compare the SACDs with the Q4/Q8 versions. Apparently the went a little too far with the NR when they did the SACD remasters.

That rings a bell, thank you!

What is the impact of going too far with the noise reduction on these? Especially Days of Future Passed...

Back