HiRez Poll Morrison, Van - MOONDANCE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Van Morrison - MOONDANCE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Performance, Poor Content

• Total voters
I tossed it away. :)

Mine usually just get dog-eared and tossed though, usually, wound up lost or used as a bookmark. I mean, how many backs of the Motown box sets do I still have? No idea; just glad that they finally got to my ears.

There are, I suppose, those who still think the Pepper custom record sleeve is collectible. It's laughable, but some try to sell jukebox strips for more money than the record would be worth mint.

ED :)

Seems Amazon is blowing this out quite cheaply...for anyone else who missed it: https://www.amazon.com/Moondance-Deluxe-4CD-w-Blu-Ray/dp/B00DZJ82W6

I just ordered a copy!

Received my copy several weeks ago, but forgot to comment. Not much to say really, this is an easy 10.

Excellent 5.1 mix from ES with a very cool quad-esque pinpoint nature (likely due to the source being an 8-track master). But as others noted, it's not a "set it and forget it" mix"- the only consistent placements I noticed throughout the whole album are vocals upfront and horns right rear.

I wish more 5.1 mixes used the quad "four corner" aggressive approach to instrument placement- the only ones I can think of aside from this are the Allman Brothers' Idlewild South and the Velvet Underground's Loaded.

For those who like looking at them, here is a screen shot of the 5.1 mix in Sound Forge. What's really strange is that in the 5th track, there's a lyric like "When the foghorn whistle blows", and you can see in the wave file that the fog horn is in the LFE!!

What's up with that? If I pull that LFE wav file and listen to it in a normal speaker, you can clearly hear sax's and horns doing the "foghorn whistle", but in the mix, it never makes it out of the sub woofer.

Most bizarre! Almost like someone messed up! (?)

Sorry to reply to your post over five years later, Jon, but I actually decided to play around with this tonight.

I'd agree this is probably a mistake, but it's not a disaster by any means as nothing is actually missing from the overall mix. The "foghorn whistle" brass is also in the right rear channel. I think this part was supposed to be directed to the center channel as a sort of doubling/reinforcement. Scheiner does that several times throughout the disc- for instance, the sax solos in "Moondance" and "These Dreams Of You" are in the rears and center channel.

So I used Audacity to move the "foghorn whistle" from the LFE to the center channel. It does make it much more prominent, to the point of being nearly overpowering. I think I actually liked it better coming solely from the right rear. But maybe this is the way it was intended? I suppose only Mr. Scheiner could answer that question.

2symxv.gif

Last edited:
Sorry to reply to your post over five years later, Jon, but I actually decided to play around with this tonight.

I'd agree this is probably a mistake, but it's not a disaster by any means as nothing is actually missing from the overall mix. The "foghorn whistle" brass is also in the right rear channel. I think this part was supposed to be directed to the center channel as a sort of doubling/reinforcement. Scheiner does that several times throughout the disc- for instance, the sax solos in "Moondance" and "These Dreams Of You" are in the rears and center channel.

So I used Audacity to move the "foghorn whistle" from the LFE to the center channel. It does make it much more prominent, to the point of being nearly overpowering. I think I actually liked it better coming solely from the right rear. But maybe this is the way it was intended? I suppose only Mr. Scheiner could answer that question.

View attachment 38300
I think I read this a while back and it never really sunk in... recently I was listening to this song and the foghorn sounded so underwhelming... I tried increasing the levels of the LFE channel and it made absolutely no difference... now I know why! Guess I have more homework...

Apologies, quick edit since posting. I can see this has already been highlighted as a glitch.I bought this desk yesterday, ripped it to my Mac both the 5.1 version and the 192/24 stereo version. However when I put the disc in both of my players up I bought this disk yesterday, ripped it to my Mac both the 5.1 version and the 192/24 stereo version. However when I put the disc in both of my players Oppo ans Panasonic I can’t for the life of me managed to play the 192 stereo, I can’t find the menu I can’t switch audio? It just seems to default to the Dolby true HD version (which is great), however is this an authoring problem on the desk delete last worit just seems to default to the Dolby true HD version (which is great), however is this an authoring problem on the Disk? Or is there some secret button that’s eluding me so far to switch from 5.1 to stereo?. Only just started to listen to the 5.1 and of course Elliot has done a great job here with this masterpiece

Late to the party but the new Stephen Wilson Atmos mix has reignited this true Hi-Fi version. Let me chime in here that that "foghorn" section is one of the most bizarre moments in surround sound music I can ever remember. It literally *is* like LFE strings and horns. All I know is I have to watch the volume on that song because with my dual-10 sub it shakes my house to its foundation if up to much!

I know I'm going to come under a lot of flack, but I revised my original score down to a meagre 4, after listening to the new Dolby Atmos mix by Steven Wilson. I just don't like the 5.1 mix at all - I know others love it. The new Dolby Atmos mix is far more immersive and pleasant to my ears - I rate that one a 10. The album is an undisputed classic but I will never play this mix again, except to demonstrate to others the difference in mixing styles.

Back