Moving to All Digital Files: Can Someone Post a How-To?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Files, files, files...you're going to have THOUSANDS of them. Much bigger PITA to manage if you ask me.

not if you go the .iso route like me, 1 disc = 1 .iso file, so the PITA factor is identical, no more, no less.

A 8TB external Hard Drive can store (1TB = 1000GB) 50GB per BD = 20 BD isos's per TB so 8TB external =160 BD's)

since SACD's and DVD-A's are approx 10 times smaller than a BD an 8TB external could hold approx 1600 SACD or DVD-A .iso files, IOW 1600 discs

Searching is also incredibly easy because the iso file will essentially be the same name as the disc itself

I know the latest PowerDVD can play iso files natively and I'm pretty sure there is an ipad version of PowerDVD. I'm not sure if you can hook your ipad up to a receiver via mhl and play a powerDVD iso and it will transfer that to the receiver for surround but it might, or if airplay could do it?

just saying that once ripped to an external drive you may be able to use an ipad for surround playback without the need for a PC

I'm not sure if there is a foobar version for ipad but foobar will playback SACD iso files with the right plugin

Last edited:
Good thread for me, as you all know I am currently ripping my HiRes collection (I ripped my CD collection along time ago) . Emotionally I understand Eggplant as it was my fear of the unknown to move forward with the HiRes ripping and storing process. It has not been easy as I don't work from home and when people on the forum albeit give super fantastic great advice it still can be foreign to me as I am not that knowledgeable in the PC world but on the other hand I know EXACTLY what I want the end result to be.
Ethernet connections, hard drives, ripping machines, software, switches, different ways of doing the same thing, it can be mind bending. I traded work with a computer savvy friend of mine, about $300.00 worth and even though he never did what I was asking of him, he is PC savvy and my process finished better than I expected. I am guessing that from start to finish I spent about $800.00 to get my HIRes ripping thing going. It took me 4 weeks to rip 67 days of SACD stereo, and now this weekend I am going to try SACD MCH ripping and storing, everything I do is scary moving forward but I just keep trying. Next will be ripping of BD and DVD-A which I will have to ask another 100 questions. The good news is that the people on QQ are super smart and super helpful, otherwise there is no way I could do by myself. As others have said and I will conclude with, having my music all in one place, PC or the remote JRiver app is the best thing I have ever encountered with music in my life. I am listening to so much more now that I can just scroll, look, press, and sit back, awesome experience.

It took me 4 weeks to rip 67 days of SACD stereo, and now this weekend I am going to try SACD MCH ripping and storing, everything I do is scary moving forward but I just keep trying. Next will be ripping of BD and DVD-A which I will have to ask another 100 questions. The good news is that the people on QQ are super smart and super helpful, otherwise there is no way I could do by myself.

Ive been following your progress on this, You are doing a great job so far Marpow.

The MCH SACD is not much different than the stereo. It works exactly the same way. You just set the Sonare software to extract the MCH layer instead of the stereo layer.

For DVD-A's it gets even easier providing you use DVDAE. Its pretty much automatic. The hardest part is determining where the stereo stream actually is located. The location can change from disk to disk and sometimes there is no stereo layer at all. If you don't have a copy of DVDAE yet you may get away without having to buy it. I think they still offer a 30 day fully functional trial period. Rip all your DVDAs during the trial period and its a done deal. They aren't releasing new ones, and you would only need to worry about any "old stock" purchases.

The BRD's are no more complicated than the SACDs. Maybe even a little less so.

I like how you are going about it all... format by format. I did the same thing. DVDAs first, then the BRDs, then the CDs, then the SACDs

As others have said and I will conclude with, having my music all in one place, PC or the remote JRiver app is the best thing I have ever encountered with music in my life. I am listening to so much more now that I can just scroll, look, press, and sit back, awesome experience.

I agree and I try to tell everyone how much better a listening experience it actually is. Its hard to get a feel for the benefits until you see it first hand. The freedom of choice it provides is the biggest benefit of all.

I know EXACTLY what I want the end result to be.

In my experience, that's 75% of the battle. If you know what you want and you're reasonably stubborn, you'll get there.

Another potential source of confusion is that while many of us have different ways of doing this, there isn't really a right or wrong. And as long as you initially got the bits 100% accurately, you can always change your technique later if you decide that a different approach might work better for you.

Depending on your situation, the same approach may not even be right for every format. My playback setup makes individual-track files work best for PCM stereo, DTS, AC-3 and 2-channel DSD (SACD). But I need large whole-disc files with cue sheets for DVD-A and multichannel DSD.

Ripped to 128 Kb/s mp3 in '98, 256k vbr mp3 in 2003, 256k vbr aac in 2007 (switched to mac), and last week-end I finished ripping to flac my fifth box of cds :D
Missing a couple dozen of cds that must be stored with dvd boxes somewhere.

My wife thinks I'm crazy :p

Depending on your situation, the same approach may not even be right for every format. My playback setup makes individual-track files work best for PCM stereo, DTS, AC-3 and 2-channel DSD (SACD). But I need large whole-disc files with cue sheets for DVD-Aand multichannel DSD.

Why do you need cue sheets for DVDA?

a couple beers or rips.... do both. You only live once.:smokin

Many think the ripping/conversion will take forever. Just start with discs you always play and slowly move through your collection.

I always do my new purchases the day they arrive.

I still have some I’ve not done but these are releases I didn’t like at all and will never listen to them.

Don’t tell me to get a PC.
That is not happening.
I’ve had quite enough of bluescreen bloatware for several lifetimes.
If it can’t be done with iOS apps, I’ll have to pass.

Much thanks in advance.

Would you consider a mac mini? It is the closest you'll get to an "iOS" experience but still be guaranteed to work. My entire surround collection has been ripped to .flac on a mac mini with an external blu-ray burner and freeware/shareware. I use MakeMKV and Dvd Audio Extractor. I paid for licenses to both because it was worth it.

Everything is on a single drive, with redundant backups to physical drive and a third backup to the cloud. I do not have any problems with file management, gapless playback, or lack of fun. My entire collection is accesible at my fingertips.

My old Oppo died died died, so i haven't played a disc in months.

Before I jump in MCDave, it's clear your setup works great for you, and I am not questioning its usefulness for you, or trying to detract from your well-deserved enjoyment of your system. That being said, you make some statements that cannot pass without comment.

Files, files, files...you're going to have THOUSANDS of them. Much bigger PITA to manage if you ask me.

Having done both, the "files files files" option is way easier. I could understand why someone would find the files to be harder to manage if that wasn't something they routinely dealt with. I don't know if that applies to you. The same organization system you described for your physical media can easily be applied to the digital files. It can be done with extreme ease.

It's also much easier for me because I don't have the physical space in my home to store the entire collection within arm's reach.

You created this PITA yourself by not buying an Oppo universal player.

Since one of the Big Problems was with discs that no longer play, an Oppo is no help with this problem.

The searching isn't going to be any easier or faster when trying to find files.

I must politely state that you do not have an accurate impression of how easily and fast files can be found on a well indexed system. They can all be found faster than you can even rise from the sofa to pull a disc off the shelf.

The searching is due to either not knowing what you want to listen to, in which case files aren't going to help, or the fact that your disc collection isn't organized. My music collection, which consists of NOTHING BUT discs, is organized by genre, and alphabetically within the genre sections. I can find any title I want in about 5 seconds.

Plus the five seconds to get up and walk over to the disc, plus more seconds to get the disc out, place it in the player, and for the disc to load. I'd be halfway through the first track before you've even started, even if you know what you want to listen to before you rise from the chair.

How you can characterize a simple jewel box as a "complete pain in the ass" is beyond me. They don't crack and cloud unless you don't treat them properly. Cardboard? I LOVE it. Greatest invention ever was the cardboard digipack!

If we define "pain in the ass" as extra steps and extra effort, dealing with the physical disc is much more of a "pain in the ass" compared to just playing the files. I can go to the artist, album, and track I want in four clicks of a mouse, including the one to open the software player. I can also setup an entire playlist for an evening and never touch it again, except to pause for extra libations and snacks. If the original poster can find an iOS way to do this, the convenience boost is the same.

Back