Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Homer,

Can you please tell me what the newest version number is, and if the link in posting #17 should lead me to it? Each time you post an update I keep getting the same version 3.0. If this link is not correct could you post the right one?
Thanks, Ed

To make it easier for me I've always used the same file name in my MMH updates (I don't have to post a new link every time I update the file name).

So the link here in this thread always points to the latest version even though the file name is always: 'Music Media Helper 3.0.zip' - apologies for the confusion.

The latest version is actually 3.2.10. (another update was posted late yesterday AU time with changes to Tagging FLAC in the 'Split MKV to FLAC' dialog)

BTW: I will probably change the zip file name to 'Music Media Helper 3.zip' in near future - less confusing & more generic - at least until I release a version 4 :)

THX
Garry

Another new update just posted:

Changes:
Split MKV to FLAC: Now shows a list of Audio Streams with codec and channel info to choose for conversion

MKVtoAudio2a.PNG

NOTE: In previous versions, if there was more than one audio stream in the MKV file MMH auto-selected the 'best' audio stream. This old method was unreliable as it didn't choose PCM over DTS (even if the DTS stream contained only lossy DTS 'core' - so this only occurred if no DTS-HDMA audio stream).

Last edited:
Another new version just uploaded.

Fix: Split MKV to FLAC - If your Windows locale (country) uses a comma to represent a decimal point (most of Europe) Split failed - Now fixed

Apologies for the error. I knew about this issue (reported by a QQ member) but the recent change in MMH I made to allow users to select an audio stream excluded the ‘fix’.

Version 3.3 published today:

Changes:
  • Now Installs with Microsoft 'click once' installer - This also creates a 'Music Media Helper' short-cut on desktop & in your Start menu
  • Added 'Check for Updates' - Automatically checks if there is a newer version and will update MMH files from the app (no more downloading a zip file etc)
  • Updated Documentation and a screen shots
  • Bug fixes/minor UI changes

New Docs (with new Install instructions and URL/link to installer):
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/Music Media Helper Documentation.pdf

Edit: You can uninstall any version installed via the new 'click once' installed from Windows Add/Remove program's. (To remove previous versions to 3.3 installed by copying the zipped files, just delete your old MMH folder)

BTW: I've removed links to previous docs and zip file with application files from this thread

THX
Garry

I had a report new 3.3 installer won't work with some Antivirus software, so I've uploaded a zip file with version 3.3 so you can download and unzip (the old method to install MMH) - Please see opening post new link to the zip.

I will fix the new installer by purchasing a 'Code Signing Certificate' which digitally signs the installer - basically tells Windows and antivirus apps etc the software being installed was created by a certified company/developer. The certificate implementation also knows whether any files have been tampered with post installer creation, so users know they are installing 'original' files made by the certificate owner. (not some hacked version)

It takes 3 business days for the authority to verify my identity/business registration etc. So I'll post again mid next week with an updated 3.3 installer with the Code Signing Certificate.

I played around with this a couple weeks ago and couldn't figure out how to get DTS encoded FLAC files. Every time I tried it wound up decoding the DTS to PCM, which created much larger files.

Am I just a moron or is it not designed to do that?

Thank you for all your work!

I played around with this a couple weeks ago and couldn't figure out how to get DTS encoded FLAC files. Every time I tried it wound up decoding the DTS to PCM, which created much larger files.

Am I just a moron or is it not designed to do that?

Thank you for all your work!

You are not a moron! The current tool to convert MKV to FLAC converts as PCM encoded FLAC only.

I'd be happy to look at an option to convert to a DTS encoded FLAC but not sure what the manual process is, let alone automating it. Can you please provide a quick description of your manual process to get DTS encoded FLACs? I assumes it's convert to DTS then wrap that somehow.

Can you also use DTS-HD or is it only Core? I guess it works for both, right? Now who's the moron? :)

I use dBpoweramp batch converter and end up with FLAC everytime - when I drop in DTS files and request lossless FLAC. JRiver sends it out to my AVR bit perfect and then it gets decoded.

I'd be happy to look at an option to convert to a DTS encoded FLAC but not sure what the manual process is, let alone automating it. Can you please provide a quick description of your manual process to get DTS encoded FLACs? I assumes it's convert to DTS then wrap that somehow.

Can you also use DTS-HD or is it only Core? I guess it works for both, right? Now who's the moron? :)

I currently use AudioMuxer, which has an option to extract existing lossy DTS streams to WAV or FLAC. As far as I can tell, Music Helper decodes lossy DTS to multichannel PCM while AudioMuxer just puts the DTS into a stereo FLAC container, much as one would do if ripping a DTS CD.

Usually if I get a disc that has lossless surround as well as lossy DTS, I'll save both streams, lossless for the Oppo and lossy for the Squeezebox.

I'm reading what I just wrote above and am not sure I'm making sense.

I’ll take a look at what’s involved, assuming there’s something on the net.

Music Media Helper decodes DTS-HDMA (lossless) to PCM FLAC (or DTS 96/24) if the stream selected contains one of those codecs over lossy Core.

MMH stream selection does not show Core to select - I was thinking why would you want to convert lossy core over lossless?

MMH stream selection does not show Core to select - I was thinking why would you want to convert lossy core over lossless?
Well, there would be no reason to convert from lossy to lossless, but it appears there is at least one use case for preserving the lossy DTS core in a lossless container.

I’ll take a look at what’s involved, assuming there’s something on the net.

Music Media Helper decodes DTS-HDMA (lossless) to PCM FLAC (or DTS 96/24) if the stream selected contains one of those codecs over lossy Core.

You convert the DTS file first to "DTS wav" and then to flac so you can tag your DTS files. Otherwise you have a mess of unorganized dts files.

A new version posted today:

Changes:
The clickonce installer package is now digitally signed (should help solve installation with some antivirus software)
Fixed missing componet in first clickonce package
Updated docs

New Features:
Add new Batch Audio Tools with following:
  • Report existing and/or add ReplayGain to FLAC files using ITU-R BS.1770 (recursively on all album folders)

AudioFileBatchToolsRepGain4.PNG

• Check for embedded album cover art and/or automatic update from folder.jpg or cover.hpg file (in the album's folder) - recursive on all album folders

AudioFileBatchToolsCoverArt3.PNG

There's more info on replay gain in the QQ thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Who-uses-ReplayGain-when-Playing-Music.24271/

Install/Download links in first post

Please let me know if you find any issues.

Last edited:
I've been mucking around with an idea to allow users to create their own channel mappings and got to this. Looks like it will work, just drag a new 'channel map connector' from source to output.

Their are a few threads here on QQ with recommendations and conjecture regarding channel swaps for some commercial MCH releases. This may help users
"experiment':

Here's an example showing a 7.1 to 5.1 channel mapping, but you could just swap LF and LR etc too:

Remix_Channel_Mapping.png

I'll finish it off over the weekend.

Did you incorporate this into music helper, I have looked and cannot see it but could be I am looking for wrong terminology. I want to try swapping front and rear channels on Ten Years After which I have converted to Flac but not sure where to go from there.:eek:

Did you incorporate this into music helper, I have looked and cannot see it but could be I am looking for wrong terminology. I want to try swapping front and rear channels on Ten Years After which I have converted to Flac but not sure where to go from there.:eek:

Hi Norm,

I never completed the channel swapping tool. I'll look at it later this week and post here when ready.

EDIT: This was released in MMH 3.5.3 (July 2019)

I just wanted to shout out a big THANK YOU to Garry (Homer Jau) for all of his expertise and generosity on this forum. Recently having taken the plunge into NUC/NAS/Kodi, his tutorials and expansive Music Helper program were invaluable. The process contains many time consuming steps and potholes where one miscue can screw the pooch further on down the line. Garry was kind enough to help me with a particular bug in Music Helper and his quick action saved me from additional days of obsessing.

I have many miles to go, but am already rediscovering the joy in many music and video titles that sat unattended - lost in a vast library of titles. Gotta love QQ!(y)

I have many miles to go, but am already rediscovering the joy in many music and video titles that sat unattended - lost in a vast library of titles. Gotta love QQ!(y)

Thanks for your kind words and Welcome to the world of instant access to your music! You won't look back - except to ask why you didn't do it sooner :)

Back