MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gerroff the fence! you'll get splinters! (and besides we need the wood!) it'll be a five point one fredbluereview only, i can't accom 7.1 nowadays let alone atmos but if 5.1 suffices i'll report back with findings later in the week.

We all need some wood..;)...ah okay its the Atmos I'm interested in but a review wood still be appreciated. did you get your copy from USA?

We all need some wood..;)...ah okay its the Atmos I'm interested in but a review wood still be appreciated. did you get your copy from USA?

it came from the US of A, yeay!
i wood have preferred to get it closer to home but it wood have been silly of me to expect to buy BBC product in its country of origin! maybe they called it Earth because it's been all around the world before it reaches anybody's players! :ROFLMAO:

it came from the US of A, yeay!
i wood have preferred to get it closer to home but it wood have been silly of me to expect to buy BBC product in its country of origin! maybe they called it Earth because it's been all around the world before it reaches anybody's players! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah crazy ain't it...who wood believe that a BBC product is not available here. Need to write to 'Points of View'.

Arrived today... Ray Wilson: Ray Wilson ZDF@Bauhaus
short review in the concert viewing thread upcoming

fullsizeoutput_85a.jpeg

Reactions: PK
[Copied over from the True Stories DualDisc thread, where it doesn't really belong:] Got my copy of the Criterion re-release of True Stories (with a new 5.1 soundtrack) yesterday. From the booklet:
The new 5.1 surround soundtrack was created from 35 mm mono DME and 35 mm 3-track LCR M&E magnetic tracks by the Criterion Collection and approved by David Byrne. Clicks, thumps, hiss, hum, and crackle were manually removed using Pro Tools HD and iZotope RX.
Rears have (often subtly) discrete elements; center-channel vocals are consistently forward in the mix. No way to program a playthrough of the musical numbers, though individual tunes are clearly indexed and easily accessible from the chapter menu. Lots of nice extras, including a "making of" documentary and a CD with a stereo mix of the complete musical soundtrack, with all incidental music and most songs sung by cast members. (Would be nice if they'd included a 5.1 mix of that!)

IMG_20181127_180010744.jpg

I just noticed CDJapan has some specials going on for some Blu-Ray Audio discs (all or mostly all 2.0 only, I believe). The following is a sampling of what is available for under $10 US (before shipping). Are any of these worth jumping on? I know some are classic jazz albums and this might be a great way to familiarize myself with them. Recommendations please! (Sound quality and content).

Getz/Gilberto
Oscar Peterson - Night Train
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Cannonball Adderley - Something Else
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

and then a bunch of classical selections as well.

Thanks!

I'd say those are all worthy MrCond.....though I am not familiar with the Peterson one. That's dirt cheap for classic jazz...many consider "Blue Train" his best, same with "Moanin"....Of course it might be an arm and leg to get them here from Japan......

Ok thanks! I couldn't pass it up - ordered the following:

Getz/Gilberto
Art Blakey - Moanin'

About $65 US shipped from Japan, 1-2 weeks by airmail. I probably would have eventually bought them all on vinyl, at a total cost much higher than that, so I feel like I won.

I just noticed CDJapan has some specials going on for some Blu-Ray Audio discs (all or mostly all 2.0 only, I believe). The following is a sampling of what is available for under $10 US (before shipping). Are any of these worth jumping on? I know some are classic jazz albums and this might be a great way to familiarize myself with them. Recommendations please! (Sound quality and content).

Getz/Gilberto
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Cannonball Adderley - Something Else

and then a bunch of classical selections as well.

Thanks!

Something Else is not longer available.

Moanin, blue train, getz/Gilberto are great album but i dont know what about sound quality. You can read something about this here:
https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/9467

https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/9502

I am going to buy all except getz/Gilberto because I have the Analogue Production SACD and Blue Train because i have the other blu ray edition

Something Else is not longer available.

Moanin, blue train, getz/Gilberto are great album but i dont know what about sound quality. You can read something about this here:
https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/9467

https://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/9502

I am going to buy all except getz/Gilberto because I have the Analogue Production SACD and Blue Train because i have the other blu ray edition

Well, what do you know, the review out there for the Stevie Wonder is from our own @fredblue ! Sounds like he likes it!

Well, what do you know, the review out there for the Stevie Wonder is from our own @fredblue ! Sounds like he likes it!

oh yeah.. will ya look at that! :giggle:
tbh i haven't played the SITKOL HFPA Blu for a while.. i think the last time was to do a 3-way with the old 80's Redbook & the SHM-SACD. as i recall, all 3 sounded v.good, particularly enjoyed the SACD in straight Stereo.. oh and i remember the HFPA being pretty cool processed in PLII Music mode.

ah.. back when HFPA held promise of maybe at last hearing the rest of the 5.1 EJs, the Steely Dan's, Maroon 5, the Killers.. how they were the great white hope.. that turned into a great white elephant! :ROFLMAO:
or was it a great white whale.. :unsure:;)

Ok thanks! I couldn't pass it up - ordered the following:

Getz/Gilberto
Art Blakey - Moanin'

About $65 US shipped from Japan, 1-2 weeks by airmail. I probably would have eventually bought them all on vinyl, at a total cost much higher than that, so I feel like I won.

Moanin and Songs in the key have been cancelled in my order😞

Mine too, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad about Songs, it’s a good one. I have Night Train, a great listen some evenings when I’m home alone. Three audio options, I find the pcm a little thin and usually go for DTS or D TrueHD. Turn it up, bass is smooth and love the cymbals.... recorded in the early to mid 60’s I believe, keeping that in mind I’m glad I have this in my collection.:)

Last edited:
Back