MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was recently the lucky recipient of the blu-rays of The Alan Parsons Project's Eye In The Sky, Pixies' Doolittle, and The Pineapple Thief's Where We Stood (containing the Your Wilderness studio LP plus a bunch of other cool stuff in 5.1 DTS-HDMA). :cool: The next ones on my list to buy are the CD/BD-A sets of XTC's Skylarking and Black Sea. :D

The BBB featuring Bernie Dresel - Bern, Bern, Bern Blu Ray Audio (96/24 DTS HD MA 5.1, LPCM 5.1 and Auro 3D 9.1)

bbb 2.jpg

Bernie Dresel is an LA Based drummer most notable for his stints with Brian Setzer and Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. A reference and demo worthy recording for both fidelity and surround mix. If only I had 9.1 Auro 3D capability! Excellent liner notes detail every nuance of the recording process including pre & post production, specific mics used for each instrument, placement in the surround field (including height placement), song specific descriptions of the arrangement and surround mix. These are both classic and modern/forward big band arrangements. Bernie is the band leader and although there are a few drum solos they never wear out their welcome. This is a full ensemble piece. Not to be missed. Highly recommended (y)

Last edited:
A passel o' BDAs, all unlistened-to (so far):
  • Oslo String Quartet, Minor Major (Beethoven's Quartet No. 11 & Schubert's No. 15). 2L, 2017 (BDA + SACD; 5.1 DTS HD-MA 24/192, 9.1 Dolby Atmos 48kHz, 9.1 Auro-3D 96kHz)
  • AEQUA: International Contemporary Ensemlbe performs Anna Thorvaldsdottir. Sono Luminus, 2018 (BDA + CD; surround formats as above)
  • Los Angeles Percussion Quartet, Beyond (works by Bjarnason, Thorvaldsdottir, Cerrone, Reid, and McIntosh). Sono Luminus, 2017 (BDA + 2xCD; as above).
  • Nordic Affect, H e (a) r (works by Stafansdottir, Tally, Thorvaldsdottir, Guðnadottir, and Sigfusdottir). Sono Luminus, 2018 (BDA + CD; as above).
And a BD:
  • Myra Melford, 12 from 25. Firehouse 12, 2018. Twelve performances, featuring a variety of groups and duo partners, from Melford's weeklong residency at The Stone (NYC) in 2015, celebrating her then 25-year career. Audio options include 5.1 Dolby and DTS HD 48/24.

Last edited:
as some of you know, I moved from Madrid to Denver on Dec 14 2017...
...and , as many of you in here, I have a quite wide scope when it comes to music...I am still in "culture shock mode" even though I am a US citizen...Madrid SPOILED ME ROTTEN in many ways.. one of them is New Year's Eve/Day... things in here are are very dull, especially NYEve; in Spain the tradition is to stay up and PARTY and have 12 grapes at midnight, one every 3 seconds along with the bell chime in the clock in Puerta del Sol in Madrid, which is broadcast ALL OVER SPAIN, heck, even in theaters they stop the program and broadcast this!!! So, since in here people go to sleep before 12 and a lot of people do not celebrate it , I had to welcome the year by tuning into RTVE online and have the 12 grapes LIVE , so it was 4 PM my time... to add insult to injury the only thing on TV to celebrate it is A VIDEO TAPE of New York's NYEve 2 hours later (...shudder!!!)....
ANYWAYYYYY...NYDay is also another custom...after going to bed late you wake up with maybe a bit of a hangover...and there is no better elixir for that than the New Year's Concert from Vienna at noon (well... at 11:45 AM)...a beautiful, classy show which is basically broadcast everywhere either live or in its entirety.. EXCEPT IN THE USA where they show you an ABRIDGED version (WHYYYYY?????) later that same day on PBS' "Great Performances"(sic)... I used to record it to my DVR but alas I had to leave that behind cause it's PAL and .. I am guessing that my ex has erased the ones I had recorded...
So, this year I chose not to see the edited travesty and ordered the 2017 (the last one I saw live!) and 2018 concerts...got them this week, and will report back...

81ZWg9XIZTL._SL1500_.jpg

81MONqGUHwL._SL1500_.jpg

as some of you know, I moved from Madrid to Denver on Dec 14 2017...
...and , as many of you in here, I have a quite wide scope when it comes to music...I am still in "culture shock mode" even though I am a US citizen...Madrid SPOILED ME ROTTEN in many ways.. one of them is New Year's Eve/Day... things in here are are very dull, especially NYEve; in Spain the tradition is to stay up and PARTY and have 12 grapes at midnight, one every 3 seconds along with the bell chime in the clock in Puerta del Sol in Madrid, which is broadcast ALL OVER SPAIN, heck, even in theaters they stop the program and broadcast this!!! So, since in here people go to sleep before 12 and a lot of people do not celebrate it , I had to welcome the year by tuning into RTVE online and have the 12 grapes LIVE , so it was 4 PM my time... to add insult to injury the only thing on TV to celebrate it is A VIDEO TAPE of New York's NYEve 2 hours later (...shudder!!!)....
ANYWAYYYYY...NYDay is also another custom...after going to bed late you wake up with maybe a bit of a hangover...and there is no better elixir for that than the New Year's Concert from Vienna at noon (well... at 11:45 AM)...a beautiful, classy show which is basically broadcast everywhere either live or in its entirety.. EXCEPT IN THE USA where they show you an ABRIDGED version (WHYYYYY?????) later that same day on PBS' "Great Performances"(sic)... I used to record it to my DVR but alas I had to leave that behind cause it's PAL and .. I am guessing that my ex has erased the ones I had recorded...
So, this year I chose not to see the edited travesty and ordered the 2017 (the last one I saw live!) and 2018 concerts...got them this week, and will report back...

81ZWg9XIZTL._SL1500_.jpg

81MONqGUHwL._SL1500_.jpg
MIght I suggest that if things are dull to you here, I recommend getting some new friends. Now, I'm too old for all that late night partying anymore, but in our day we got with like-minded folks and partied pretty much until daylight, then went to breakfast/brunch. Probably why I still look young. lol. Of course when I was much younger, I just roamed around until I found some good party people and hung with them....usually worked out pretty good!

Echoes: Barefoot To The Moon. This is an acoustic, live tribute to the music of Pink Floyd. The playing and recording are excellent although the rears are used for ambience and audience applause only. Highly recommended, particularly if you want to hear the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond played on wine glasses. :)

I unexpectedly discovered a copy of the 4CD + BD-A Deluxe Edition of Moondance at a second-hand shop, over the weekend. All the discs have a couple of light scratches on them - which I'm afraid is probably typical for that type of cardboard packaging - but they all play perfectly. Moreover, the price was rather good at AU$50; I reckon I'd struggle to secure a copy online for less than $70, factoring in freight and the Australia Tax™. ;)

A couple of friends bought me the Kick 30 set with Atmos blu-ray for my birthday. 😃 Very happy with that present! Somehow, though, my first thought was of The D-Generation's classic satire of INXS, in the second installment of their Five In A Row sketch, with these epic lyrics:

I'm a skateboard rocker, my haircut's a shocker, and my clothes are op-shop rejects,
I've got a New Sensation strange relationship with Jason Donovan's ex...
Sometimes I think I'm Jagger; sometimes I look like a dork
I just wish I could dance in these stupid black pants, but it's hard enough to even walk, yeah! 😆

So any actual comments on the quality of sound and picture on the 4K version of “Bohemian Rhapsody” yet?
I watched the 4k version this weekend. I thought the PQ (in HDR10, don't have a HDR10+ setup) was very good. The sound was very immersive, though necessarily as discrete like the songs on VH 1 & 2 DVD discs or the ANATO 5.1 mix. The sound level was on the high side with very good bass definition. I do not have an atmos setup so can't comment on that aspect. I have the full Queen Live Aid show on the Montreal BD as well, so perhaps next week I will compare the sound of the two. Remi Malek did a fantastic job and at no point did I feel like I wasn't watching Freddie. As a lifelong Queen fan, this disc was no brainer to me.

Back