MusicBee Media Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I have been using Kodi nearly from the start of my PC based audio journey. That was after a brief affair with JRiver. For the last few days I have been playing with the MusicBee media player. I saw reviews for it somewhere while looking at other digital gear and since its freeware, I thought I'd try it out. Its purported to do multichannel. I've only loaded my stereo library on it so far and I'm still feeling my way through the layouts. But so far this player is looking extremely promising.

I am most impressed with how it scrapes information. My Kodi setup is nowhere near this good in that respect. I'm wondering if I have it set wrong. Be warned when you load up your library its going to create a folder called "information" in every artist folder. In "information" is a series of .nfo files, similar to what Kodi does. Its all just links and dosen't take up much space.

Its got a killer theatre display, it does lyrics, and provides an artist slideshow. It is extremely customizable. I would encourage you to have a look at it

At first the interface was a little confusing, but its starting to make sense. Still a lot figure out.

Does anyone else have experience with this player?

Here is a link

Last edited:
Reactions: PK
Update on the above.

If you choose to try this out, you will want to select the audio driver and increase your buffer size. After that it plays Multi channel FLAC with no issue.

Had to discover how to set it to use replay gain album tags.

I can't believe some of the functionality imbedded in it. There is a tab called the Music Explorer, Beside providing bios and artwork, it lists out other albums by the same artists ... with album art ... that you don't have in your library, and will even let you sample tracks from them.

There are several different views to choose from, and each one is customizable, often to a large degree. I'm still playing with layouts. Some of the views are extremely nice.

Working on how to get auto scroll lyrics...

This looks interesting. I don’t play music on a Windows 10 device though. If I’m ripping/converting on my PC I’ll sample files using Foobar or occasionally play an album.

Typically, I do, as well, but I do that only to apply DiracLive REQ. Will MusicBee support that?
I can't see a plug-in for DiracLive if that's what you are asking, so I assume the answer is no. Isn't DL typically implemented in the pre/pro itself?

MusicBee does seem to have an imbedded EQ function, but it looks pretty basic. I am currently making a change in my system by inserting a miniDSP NanoAVR unit after the PC to do DSP in conjunction with REW software. I believe you reviewed this unit a few years ago when it was called a miniDSP 8x8. They also now offer a DiracLive enabled version.

I can't see a plug-in for DiracLive if that's what you are asking, so I assume the answer is no. Isn't DL typically implemented in the pre/pro itself?
What AVR? I do all my processing in the server.
I am currently making a change in my system by inserting a miniDSP NanoAVR unit after the PC to do DSP in conjunction with REW software. I believe you reviewed this unit a few years ago when it was called a miniDSP 8x8. They also now offer a DiracLive enabled version.
The two units are quite different but I did review both of them.

The two units are quite different but I did review both of them.
I'm not clear on what you mean by "I did review both of them". The nanoAVR 8X8 is the old name of the current product which is called nanoAVR HD. There is also a nanoAVR HDA that includes an integrated 8 channel DAC. The DiracLive model is called the nanoAVR DL

I'm not clear on what you mean by "I did review both of them". The nanoAVR 8X8 is the old name of the current product which is called nanoAVR HD. There is also a nanoAVR HDA that includes an integrated 8 channel DAC. The DiracLive model is called the nanoAVR DL
I chose the HD model because I had no use for the additional DAC and I needed bass management which the DL model dosent provide.

I see. You referred to it in your earlier post as a "miniDSP 8x8" which, to me, suggests the older miniDSP 8x8 kit (https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/8-x-in-8-x-out) and is the heart of the miniDSP 10x10 HD that I reviewed. I also reviewed the nanoAVR-HD. Anyway, just a mini-misunderstanding.

Back