My foray into entry level AV gear

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So my brother’s wife recently passed away. While I was at his house a few weeks ago he was lamenting how he couldn't play blu-ray movies through his surround system any more. I wanted to find something to get him interested in and help lift his spirits so I decided to gift him the components necessary to put together an entry level surround system.

His existing system was in pretty rough shape. It consisted of a Sony Blu-ray player which didn’t actually work because one of his kids had broken the trim panel off the loading door and it constantly jammed when getting a disk in or out. And a Pioneer Dolby Pro Logic era receiver. The kind we used to use for VHS tape playback back in the day. No digital inputs at all. He also had a small Yamaha 5.1 speaker array that he bought from a big box store many years ago. I was kind of amazed with this when I first heard it when new. It had five identical tiny satellites that were not much bigger than my clenched fist and the sub was only a 5” cone. But the things sounded decent within their limits. Anyway, when I looked at it closely, I saw nothing was even hooked up. It had all been disconnected and left unused for years following a remodel.

After browsing the web for what was available, I decided on purchasing these components from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYD1RZ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT6B0DK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Denon AVR was similar to the entry level receivers from Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, etc. Prices were comparable as well with the Denon being the least expensive at $199 (it has since gone up in price). I liked that it had dedicated presets (a great convenience feature for him) and could play FLAC from a front panel USB port (not all that common for entry level AVRs. Not for FLAC anyway). I didn’t like the Mickey Mouse speaker connectors and the lack of any network connectivity.

The Sony Player can be network connected, wired or WIFI, came with a load of apps, and is also capable of playing FLAC through the front panel.

Total cost was under $300. I’m amazed you can get into a surround system for so little.

Last weekend I went to his place to do the setup. I assembled everything on the top of his entertainment center and fully tested it. I couldant get the manual speaker setup routine to work (it wouldn’t play the test tones, but it seemed to think it was) so I plugged in the mic and let it do an automatic setup… which it got through with no errors or issues.

I loaned him some blue rays I thought he’d like. Waters: The Wall. Gilmore in Pompeii. AP Eye in the Sky BR audio disc. I also copied a few selections from my NAS to a thumb drive to test with.

16/44.1 FLAC of Beatles: Abbey Road and Glen Frey Strange Weather (two titles I have used for many years to setup and evaluate bass response).
24/88.2 FLAC of Pink Floyds DSOTM to try Hi Res stereo FLAC.
24/96 5.1 FLAC of Eagles Hotel California to try Hi Res MCH FLAC.

I found out that while the Denon would play FLAC, it was limited to stereo FLAC. The Sony player however, was able to play any of the FLAC selections on the thumb drive including the MCH. I never got far enough to try and determine if it was down sampling anything however.

We spent a few hours watching videos and playing music and explaining to him how things worked. He loved it and I was impressed as well. I have been a separates guy since my teenage years. I was surprised at the amount of functionality and features you can get for so little money at the entry level. Even with those tiny speakers, the system seemed to fill the room with sound adequately.

Apparently it was to be short lived. Late that night I received a text saying that the left front and the sub stopped working while playing some of the Parsons album. A couple of days later I got there to find the Sub totally unresponsive. It turned on, but made no sound. Its rear panel was also unusually hot. After that many years it must have given up the ghost.

I also checked all connections and did a factory reset on the AVR. I switched inputs and speaker cables to narrow things down, but nothing could revive the front left channel.

He says he was playing music and then heard a loud “crackle” and when it was done the sub and front left were dead. Do you think the sub could have had a meltdown and taken a front channel with it? And why only the left channel?

Regardless, back into the box and back to Amazon it went for replacement. I ordered him a 10” Polk sub to replace the dead one. Within 1 day Amazon had shipped a replacement for the Denon. Ya gotta love that. It will be here in time to re-install everything this weekend.

The saga continues….

So my brother’s wife recently passed away. While I was at his house a few weeks ago he was lamenting how he couldn't play blu-ray movies through his surround system any more. I wanted to find something to get him interested in and help lift his spirits so I decided to gift him the components necessary to put together an entry level surround system.

His existing system was in pretty rough shape. It consisted of a Sony Blu-ray player which didn’t actually work because one of his kids had broken the trim panel off the loading door and it constantly jammed when getting a disk in or out. And a Pioneer Dolby Pro Logic era receiver. The kind we used to use for VHS tape playback back in the day. No digital inputs at all. He also had a small Yamaha 5.1 speaker array that he bought from a big box store many years ago. I was kind of amazed with this when I first heard it when new. It had five identical tiny satellites that were not much bigger than my clenched fist and the sub was only a 5” cone. But the things sounded decent within their limits. Anyway, when I looked at it closely, I saw nothing was even hooked up. It had all been disconnected and left unused for years following a remodel.

After browsing the web for what was available, I decided on purchasing these components from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYD1RZ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AT6B0DK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Denon AVR was similar to the entry level receivers from Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, etc. Prices were comparable as well with the Denon being the least expensive at $199 (it has since gone up in price). I liked that it had dedicated presets (a great convenience feature for him) and could play FLAC from a front panel USB port (not all that common for entry level AVRs. Not for FLAC anyway). I didn’t like the Mickey Mouse speaker connectors and the lack of any network connectivity.

The Sony Player can be network connected, wired or WIFI, came with a load of apps, and is also capable of playing FLAC through the front panel.

Total cost was under $300. I’m amazed you can get into a surround system for so little.

Last weekend I went to his place to do the setup. I assembled everything on the top of his entertainment center and fully tested it. I couldant get the manual speaker setup routine to work (it wouldn’t play the test tones, but it seemed to think it was) so I plugged in the mic and let it do an automatic setup… which it got through with no errors or issues.

I loaned him some blue rays I thought he’d like. Waters: The Wall. Gilmore in Pompeii. AP Eye in the Sky BR audio disc. I also copied a few selections from my NAS to a thumb drive to test with.

16/44.1 FLAC of Beatles: Abbey Road and Glen Frey Strange Weather (two titles I have used for many years to setup and evaluate bass response).
24/88.2 FLAC of Pink Floyds DSOTM to try Hi Res stereo FLAC.
24/96 5.1 FLAC of Eagles Hotel California to try Hi Res MCH FLAC.

I found out that while the Denon would play FLAC, it was limited to stereo FLAC. The Sony player however, was able to play any of the FLAC selections on the thumb drive including the MCH. I never got far enough to try and determine if it was down sampling anything however.

We spent a few hours watching videos and playing music and explaining to him how things worked. He loved it and I was impressed as well. I have been a separates guy since my teenage years. I was surprised at the amount of functionality and features you can get for so little money at the entry level. Even with those tiny speakers, the system seemed to fill the room with sound adequately.

Apparently it was to be short lived. Late that night I received a text saying that the left front and the sub stopped working while playing some of the Parsons album. A couple of days later I got there to find the Sub totally unresponsive. It turned on, but made no sound. Its rear panel was also unusually hot. After that many years it must have given up the ghost.

I also checked all connections and did a factory reset on the AVR. I switched inputs and speaker cables to narrow things down, but nothing could revive the front left channel.

He says he was playing music and then heard a loud “crackle” and when it was done the sub and front left were dead. Do you think the sub could have had a meltdown and taken a front channel with it? And why only the left channel?

Regardless, back into the box and back to Amazon it went for replacement. I ordered him a 10” Polk sub to replace the dead one. Within 1 day Amazon had shipped a replacement for the Denon. Ya gotta love that. It will be here in time to re-install everything this weekend.

The saga continues….
It might be worth putting in new speakers? Not sure how they're mounted and such. But the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers routinely sell for under $400 for a 5.0 set (it was $289 a few weeks ago): https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

Other things I liked, disliked, or otherwise found amusing....

The Denon comes with a "quick start guide", but not an owners manual. You need to go on line to get that. Its 140+ pages long! I read on line you can order a printed version for $20... WTF? :rolleyes:

The AVR has 10 selectable crossover points for the sub. 40Hz through 250Hz. You can choose any crossover point but it uses the same point for all channels. I never realized Xovers went up that high in consumer gear. My pre/pros always topped out at 120Hz I think. But it makes sense with budget gear that may likely be used with smallish speakers, I guess. I'm thinking of trying the 250Hz setting to relieve more strain from the tiny monitors. We'll see how it affects the overall sound.

The AVR includes something called a "Restorer". Its function is quoted from the manual as follows...

Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The “Restorer” function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also restores the original bass characteristics for a rich and expanded tonal range

Wow. an MP3 fixer. Where was this back in the 90s?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Conversations:
Me: the BR player can connect to the internet wirelessly.
Him: yeah, I wont be using that for anything
ONE HOUR LATER
Him: So how do I watch movies on VUDU like I could before.
Me: You go to the apps in the BR player. The one that uses the wireless connection you aren't going to ever use.

Him: So, they store the account passwords in the remotes? Right?

Had to go to the cable office to get a different cable box - one with a coaxial digital out for the audio. The existing one only had an optical output. I don't like using optical connections, and beside, I didn't have an optical patch cable.
Him: what do I need?
Me: a set top box with a coaxial digital audio out jack
Him: repeats the above 5x
Me: repeats the above 5x , with the addition of "its an orange or black colored RCA jack"

He comes out with a new box and says the girl tells him this one has a coax in and a coax out.
Huh?? I look. No digital audio out at all. but it did have a coax cable input and output. Even the cable rep didn't understand what I was asking for. I had to show her what it was for.

So, continuing the story, the replacement AVR and the new Polk sub arrived at my house on Thursday. I requested a return on Sunday night. That's a 4 day turnaround on the AVR... nice job Amazon.

On Saturday I proceeded to hook up the new equipment. IMHO the sub is a steal at $99. A 10" Aluminized cone in a ported enclosure. There were no malfunctions with the new AVR. It did everything asked of it.

Recall that the Blu-ray player has the ability to play MCH FLAC from its front panel USB port. I did a bit more investigating, and found that it did not down sample the tracks. What was ripped to 24/96 was rendered to 24/96 at the AVR. Nice. I can copy tracks from my ripped surround collection for him to sample. He will like that a lot.

I also found out that the player will play DSD streams (both .DSF and .DFF) but it will not play physical SACD disks. It allows you to choose whether the DSD stream is left as is or converted to PCM before it is output over HDMI. I would assume this is to play back downloadable DSD. I couldn't test if it will play DSD using the USB input (but I cant see why it shouldn't). The player also supports BR-R DVD-R and CD-R disks.

We finally got the proper password to connect up his VUDU account to the BR player. It presents the sound in Dolby Digital + (of which I'm really not familiar). Sounded great though.

We also got the AVR to pair up and receive a music stream from his phone.

Again I'll say that one can get an awful lot of tech for not a lot of cash in the entry level equipment category. More so than I ever would have thought.

Last edited:
Back