My new 5.1 system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to see framing techniques from outside the US.
Look like the studs are spaced more than the standard 16" here.
Metal strapping.
Plus that looks like a double wall.
Is there a a bedroom on the other side?

Well spotted.

In AU/NZ we have standard 450mm spacing for studs and joists (approx 18”)
Metal strapping is used to brace load bearing walls. In the old days it was a 4” x 2” at 45 deg.
Yes it’s a double wall. Only used as the sewer pipe diameter is larger than a standard stud (90mm x 45mm)
Behind the wall is a laundry (and under stairs at extreme right - where my new Ethernet cabling is connected to my network switches/router for data and security system. There’s a small NAS there to record cameras too.)

Nice one! That's going to be brill. I can almost hear Dire Straits "we've got to move these colour TV's" coming out in 5.1!

All up and running now. Spurred on by your post my first surround track was Money For Nothing 5.1. Followed by a couple of quads at random.

D9A6F173-5B35-4B10-B807-73BDBD3DDFBD.jpeg

I played a whole bunch of ‘100 Best Australian Songs of all Time’ tracks using the DTS Neural:X upmixer on the AVR. Did a decent job. A lot from old high DR CDs I have from the eighties and early nineties plus a few from 96/24 vinyl rips.

Painters due to start tomorrow. Entire downstairs plus the media room upstairs. They will also patch the many holes in walls made by the cabling contractor. Sanding will be bloody messy...

I found a mob just up the road that will put any paint into a spray can. So I’ll get two cans made from the wall paint used and I’ll spray the speaker covers. They’re just held on with magnets.

Last edited:
The painters pulled the pin at last minute. Too busy and thought they’d under quoted. I got a plasterer to sort out damage caused by sewer work and the many holes by cabling guys. He did a great job. Never seen a contractor work so fast.

My wife and I have decided to do all the painting. Started on window frames yesterday. “it’s gonna take some time this time”

The painters pulled the pin at last minute. Too busy and thought they’d under quoted. I got a plasterer to sort out damage caused by sewer work and the many holes by cabling guys. He did a great job. Never seen a contractor work so fast.

My wife and I have decided to do all the painting. Started on window frames yesterday. “it’s gonna take some time this time”
At least you'll be able to listen in surround as you do!:cool:

My new main room (7.1 system) is now pretty much completed. New honeycomb blinds have a nice effect on sound too.

The media cabinet at front is made from 2 Ikea cabinets with a 2400x 600mm benchtop I bought at a local hardware store. Plenty of room to get at back for cabling as the cabinets have about 200mm gap from back wall. I can lift the bench top off. Cost sweet FA to build too, certainly way less than my cabinetmaker's $3000 quote to purpose build something!.

I also bought a high bar table and and stools (and Vintec Bar fridge to complete the entertainment room)

MediaHub.jpeg

My new main room (7.1 system) is now pretty much completed. New honeycomb blinds have a nice effect on sound too.

The media cabinet at front is made from 2 Ikea cabinets with a 2400x 600mm benchtop I bought at a local hardware store. Plenty of room to get at back for cabling as the cabinets have about 200mm gap from back wall. I can lift the bench top off. Cost sweet FA to build too, certainly way less than my cabinetmaker's $3000 quote to purpose build something!.

I also bought a high bar table and and stools (and Vintec Bar fridge to complete the entertainment room)

MediaHub.jpeg

Gorgeous job, Homer. Love the sofa and those honeycomb blinds are stunning. You can never go wrong with B&W speakers. Enjoy, as I'm sure you WILL!

MediaHub.jpeg

:eek: You have permission to adopt Snood noooooooow!!! :LB

Flippin' be-yoo-tiful! Very nice and I bet it sounds awesome. Those black blinds contrast nicely with the white walls too.

The new cabinet I built is similar to yours; it's black with front "covers" on the left and right, mine's built in 3 parts due to the maximum size of the pine available. And, we have the same TV! Must be a Hutt Valley/Wainui thing.

What's that "arm" in the middle of the 2 seats?

Flippin' be-yoo-tiful! Very nice and I bet it sounds awesome. Those black blinds contrast nicely with the white walls too.

The new cabinet I built is similar to yours; it's black with front "covers" on the left and right, mine's built in 3 parts due to the maximum size of the pine available. And, we have the same TV! Must be a Hutt Valley/Wainui thing.

What's that "arm" in the middle of the 2 seats?

Between the seats is a sliding arm rest that holds my remotes. Seats are electronically adjustable, turns into an inclined bed!

We had to make our own furniture it Wainui, couldn't afford to buy real stuff back then

MediaHub.jpeg

Great job, you deserve it, Happy Thanksgiving

MediaHub.jpeg
WOW!!! What a gorgeous set-up... I just watched a video on the making of those B&W speakers... amazing craftsmanship. Currently a PAIR of those front speakers are $30,000.00!!! I'm so jealous with my cheap little Polks. Congatulations on your dream room!

I’ve decided to upgrade my main system from 7.2 to Atmos 7.2.4 by adding 4 new ceiling speakers.

I found two demo Focal 300ICW8 in-ceiling speakers (same as the rears in my 5.1 living room system) and will buy another two new to give me 4.

Cabling up into the ceiling space will be the major problem to solve...

I’ve decided to upgrade my main system from 7.2 to Atmos 7.2.4 by adding 4 new ceiling speakers.

I found two demo Focal 300ICW8 in-ceiling speakers (same as the tears in my 5.1 living room system) and will buy another two new to give me 4.

Cabling up into the ceiling space will be the major problem to solve...
I’m sure it will be more than worth the trouble. Good luck with your project.

I’m also going drag my old Arcam AVR600 out of storage in my garage to give me the extra channels I need as my Denon AVR-X7200WA only has 9 amps and I need 11.

The Arcam sounded just a bit better with my Bowers and Wilkins 802Ds too so I’ll use the Arcam for the main 5 speakers (4 quads and centre) and the Denon’s amps for the ceiling and back pair (all Focals).

The Denon has 11.2 preamps and handles 7.2.4 Atmos decoding so should workout ok.

Back