My Oppos Won't Play SACD-Rs or BD-Rs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It boggles the mind in this era of fading disc sales and disappearing players that the software manufacturers force these limitations on a company like Oppo who was one of the highest regarded players in the commercial scene. I mean, what percentage of the public is ever going to even try to play one of these home made discs? .00000000000000000001%? Is it worth the cost of a lawyer to send an email forcing changing the firmware? So stupid.

Hey, I am all for companies protecting their product and detest people who leech off others or steal music as a way of life. But really, we're not talking mainstream here.
The Blue Meanies may very well be the reason Oppo got out of the optical player business.

Snood, I have made discs with Cirlinca, too and I do not think they would play on the Oppos either for the same reason.

AudioMuxer makes an MKV file at the same time it makes the ISO and they will play via a flash drive. However, if the music gets too "complex", the transfer rate of a usb stick cannot keep up and dropouts occur. I do this method to check an individual song or upmix before burning to a disc to check that everything is the way I want it. Saves me from making a lot of DVD+R coasters. I can also hear improved quality once the ISO is burned to a disc vs. coming from a MKV.

AVCHD can now carry lossless multi-channel formats like DTS-MA and full1080p video. Ironically, not all blu-ray players can play AVCHD discs and I knew my brother and friend would want some of these so I consciously did not make them AVCHD ISOs and made blu-rays instead. D-oh!

Oppo's customer service dept. received my test discs and got back to me yesterday, but unfortunately the news is not good. However, it is not Oppo's fault - it is the "greedy music companies" that forced them to prevent my discs from playing. Here's Oppo's response:

"We received your discs this afternoon. After analyzing them, the reason that they do not play in our 103 and 203 is because our licensing agreements prevent us from being able to play DVD-R/RW discs with BDMV content on them. This was something that we were forced to remove from our players back in the BDP-93 days. It’s possible that your LG and Sony players were made prior to this requirement, or they may have just slipped through the cracks and weren’t forced to have a firmware upgrade released to remove this type of disc compatibility.
Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc. "

So, I guess the mighty Oppos don't get to push my cheapo LG off the equipment racks after all. :(
no, because they never got the upgrades. NOT Oppo fault. The machine will play a BD that is manufactured by the auth. company. So to say it won't play BD is unfair, it won't pay copies. Right?

Snood, I have made discs with Cirlinca, too and I do not think they would play on the Oppos either for the same reason.

AudioMuxer makes an MKV file at the same time it makes the ISO and they will play via a flash drive. However, if the music gets too "complex", the transfer rate of a usb stick cannot keep up and dropouts occur. I do this method to check an individual song or upmix before burning to a disc to check that everything is the way I want it. Saves me from making a lot of DVD+R coasters. I can also hear improved quality once the ISO is burned to a disc vs. coming from a MKV.

AVCHD can now carry lossless multi-channel formats like DTS-MA and full1080p video. Ironically, not all blu-ray players can play AVCHD discs and I knew my brother and friend would want some of these so I consciously did not make them AVCHD ISOs and made blu-rays instead. D-oh!

:unsure::unsure::unsure: Dunno got a QQ buddy on here that has a couple discs Snood sent - he will be able to tell me for sure. Snood in no hurry for the upgrade to 203, but was like hmmmm:whistle:

I play them on me olllllld 980 fine...love that lil thing :love: - Snood still all analog cept 1 hdmi connection
Thank you Wagon and will let you know what the verdict is when I hear back :cool::LB

"The machine will play a BD that is manufactured by the auth. company. So to say it won't play BD is unfair, it won't pay copies. Right?"

No, mine are not copies. I do not have the software and drives to rip or copy a commercial blu-ray disc. They are original creations authored by me.

I see the flaw in your logic. You are blaming the player saying it won't play BD discs. Yet it plays commercial BD discs fine. Then after you send the discs to OPPO, we find out that it's not BD discs but BD ISO's you created and burned to DVDR media. That's not the same thing. I can play properly authored by me and even copied commercial BD's (on BDR media NOT DVDR media) just fine on an OPPO BDP-103.

Oppo confirmed my disc ARE blu-rays. (Not sure where you got that Oppo ever said they weren't.) They said they could play them on a BDP-83 they have in their office. They also gave me the last firmware version number that could play them. Oppo said they were forced by licensees to disable the ability to play non-commercial produced blu-rays, just as they were forced by Sony to disable the ability to play SACD-Rs.

Arnold, what program / process are using to "properly" author blu-rays?

I see the flaw in your logic. You are blaming the player saying it won't play BD discs. Yet it plays commercial BD discs fine. Then after you send the discs to OPPO, we find out that it's not BD discs but BD ISO's you created and burned to DVDR media. That's not the same thing. I can play properly authored by me and even copied commercial BD's (on BDR media NOT DVDR media) just fine on an OPPO BDP-103.
Thread title needs changed obviously.

Audiomuxer has the option for AVC-HD which is a much more compatible format as the OP probably knows. Also you could simply burn the Blu-ray to an actual Blu-ray disc which is also very compatible. Single layer discs are cheap.

Oppo confirmed my disc ARE blu-rays. (Not sure where you got that Oppo ever said they weren't.) They said they could play them on a BDP-83 they have in their office. They also gave me the last firmware version number that could play them. Oppo said they were forced by licensees to disable the ability to play non-commercial produced blu-rays, just as they were forced by Sony to disable the ability to play SACD-Rs.

Arnold, what program / process are using to "properly" author blu-rays?

Post #13 is the reply you said you got back from OPPO. It states DVDR/W media NOT BDR media.

Audiomuxer and Tmpgenc Authoring Works are the two I use for BD authoring depending on my needs.

Post #13 is the reply you said you got back from OPPO. It states DVDR/W media NOT BDR media.

Audiomuxer and Tmpgenc Authoring Works are the two I use for BD authoring depending on my needs.

In subsequent conversations with the Oppo CS, I said to the rep, "So, my discs are not really blu-rays." He said no, they are BRs, just not the format we can allow to be played. That's when he said that the discs played in the 83 in his office and immediately indicated Blu-Ray on the display. He said there is probably a hack that would allow it, but obviously cannot give it to me or tell me what it entails. I get that - he wants to keep his job. Besides, if I applied any future firmware upgrade it would re-install the lockout. The movie studios wanted the block to combat programs like DVD Shrink.
I have AudioMuxer and will check out TAW's program. Thanks for that tip.

Audiomuxer has the option for AVC-HD which is a much more compatible format as the OP probably knows. Also you could simply burn the Blu-ray to an actual Blu-ray disc which is also very compatible. Single layer discs are cheap.
Yes AVCHDs will play and I could have made the discs AVCHD (and will for future discs), but did not use that format because I read in multiple places on the (darn) internet that some players can't play AVCHD. I'm not looking forward to remaking 50 - 60 projects again.
I will probably buy a blu-ray burner and use BR-R, but it seems a bit wasteful to put less than 4GB on average programs on a 25GB blank. True, BD-Rs are around $1 each now but DVD+R are around 17 cents each.

And I am NOT blaming OPPO - they had no choice - and I assume no blu-ray player by any company currently being sold can play these discs. The OPPO CS was very friendly and sympathetic to my problem. I have no complaints about their customer service.

Thread title needs changed obviously.
I'm thinking maybe the forum title needs to be change to "Surround Hardware SACD/DVD-A Universal*
(* as universal as the movie/music companies allow ...) :)

Update: I acquired a BDP-93 with what OPPO said was the last firmware that can play Blu-ray ISOs. I am happy to report that indeed it does plus it also plays SACD-Rs. (The OPPO customer service rep said he did not think it would.) So, Snood (and anyone else who wants to be able to play those formats), the firmware you want to be sure an OPPO 93 has is BDP9X-74-0908 (or before). I believe the BDP-93 was the last OPPO to have this capability.

It's incredibly obnoxious that the MPAA and other hate groups actually have the clout to prevent hardware from playing your own legitimately created content. Mind-boggling.

Update: I acquired a BDP-93 with what OPPO said was the last firmware that can play Blu-ray ISOs. I am happy to report that indeed it does plus it also plays SACD-Rs. (The OPPO customer service rep said he did not think it would.) So, Snood (and anyone else who wants to be able to play those formats), the firmware you want to be sure an OPPO 93 has is BDP9X-74-0908 (or before). I believe the BDP-93 was the last OPPO to have this capability.

The ability to play ISOs was stripped out early on, but both the BDP-93 and 95 can play SACD-Rs even with the last firmware update. I hope that the OPPO CSR's mistake is not a sign of things to come with the skeleton crew now in place to handle future customer queries and repairs.

The CSR may have meant that the block that prevents ISOs from playing is not the same block that prevents SACD-Rs from playing in the 103/105 & 203/205. Again, none of this was OPPO's desire. I am sure they would like their players to play any and all formats, but having the licensing to play some formats requires them to place the restrictions.

I just wrote a very heartfelt, important and subtle poem for the occasion. It's rich in metaphor and bathed in extremely deep meaning. I present it here in its entirety and predict there will not be a single dry eye on anyone who reads it:

FORK THE MPAA

Back