New AV Receiver Recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the previous incarnation in the X6200. Although a brilliant receiver for film and TV I found it poor at stereo music. Several months ago I introduced a Rega Elicit-R that has HT by-pass into the system and that has greatly improved the overall presentation from the front left and right speakers. The biggest advantage is that I now no longer listen to stereo music through the Denon and the Rega has really shown just how good my speakers are. With surround music the Rega has certainly widened the front soundstage.

For stereo music I'm using a Marantz 8005 SACD player and for surround SACD a Pioneer LX-58 player. I know I shouldn't admit this on a Quad forum but I much prefer good old fashioned stereo.
It’s no surprise that good stereo amp/gear could sound better than AVRs, even expensive ones. I have a couple of old Technics stereo Class A amps, and I find them too bright. Much lower quality than my AVR.

In my case, I’m incredibly satisfied with the Denon 6400. I think it pairs well with the Monitor Audio Silver 8. Overall presentation, soundstage, dynamics, etc. are great in my tiny listening room. I have auditioned a few hi-fi systems here in Melbourne, and I have to say I don’t feel the need to upgrade at this stage. Perhaps I’m used to how my system sounds and I seriously enjoy it.

I’m also used to the sound of the Chord Mojo, either paired with Westone W60 or Senn HD600. In both cases, the sound is slightly darker than Denon with MA Silver 8, but equally detailed.

I’ve been using AVRs for a few years only, but for me there is no way back to a stereo system. I wouldn’t mind a second system, but I don’t have the space for it, nor the budget!

I'm up and running with the NAD T758v3 and very impressed so far. A big upgrade over the old Onkyo, especially for music. Still figuring the system out and suddenly not able to get proper playback of Quad FLACs from Oppo 103, but I'll get it figured out.

I'll tackle the Dirac room correction this week. The new version is out now, but requires Mac High Sierra (or Win10).

The music purists out there may frown on the AV Receiver to power their music, but I'm pretty happy early on.

suddenly not able to get proper playback of Quad FLACs

If these are pure quad 4 channel files you will probably need to add a silent centre channel (5.0) to get the AVR to recognise them as multichannel FLACs. Denon AVRs and others have this same quad FLAC ‘bug’.

If you have a Windows PC then Music Media Helper has a tool that will batch update all 4.0 FLACs to 5.0 (see the Media Player sub forum here on QQ to download)

If these are pure quad 4 channel files you will probably need to add a silent centre channel (5.0) to get the AVR to recognise them as multichannel FLACs. Denon AVRs and others have this same quad FLAC ‘bug’.

If you have a Windows PC then Music Media Helper has a tool that will batch update all 4.0 FLACs to 5.0 (see the Media Player sub forum here on QQ to download)
Thanks for the info; I'll check it out. Wasn't an issue before as the Oppo was sending it out via analog channels. Of course, I could use that config as backup until I test then update the files (I can run Windows8 in virtualized environment just fine). The Chicago Quadio tunes alone are quite a few ...

I'm converting all my quad FLACs which don't play properly now. Thanks!

I’m playing quad files through my Cambridge Audio BR player. I have never tried through the Denon. I wasn’t aware of this bug. I’ll try!

I’m playing quad files through my Cambridge Audio BR player. I have never tried through the Denon. I wasn’t aware of this bug. I’ll try!

I also have The Cambridge Audio CX UHD that does this also. These are sold out and going for twice the price on the Bay.

Hi,

Just to follow up on the NAD T758v3 receiver I bought. Last night, I performed the Dirac Live room correction. The result is really impressive. My Hsu sub blends in beautifully with my NHT Classic 3's now. Once you have a Dirac config file, you can easily toggle it on and off while playing music. The overall effect is a more immersive experience with a much less boomy bass - more controlled now. I'm Bitstreaming everything out of HDMI2 of the Oppo103 to the NAD.

Thanks again for this tip. I changed all the Quad FLACs easily (about 9 albums). That utility will not, however, modify .dsf files from Quad SACD. Do you (or anyone) know if something exists to mod those files so that I can BS to my AVR? I can play straight out through analog, but really like the Dirac correction which I don't get with analog.

Back