New AV Receiver Recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owned a plethora of recievers (all brands too many to count) even buying a refurbished with no issues. What do you want it to do ? I bought my most recent AVR and it's a Marantz SR6011 went with this cause I didn't need the heo's feature on the SR 6012. The worst were the Denons first one burnt up1995, came back from vacation to an electrical smell and found only the receiver was toast no effect to the surge strip, no storms a definite head scratcher. The next had the HDMI ouputs short out ? Still under warranty I think it's fixed just left it in the box cause I bought a Integra with Atmos. The Denon and my Yamaha are in their boxes in the garage. If your more into playing music over movies go with what most say the Marantz, for a warmer realistic sound. Integra is the premium Onkyo brand can't do bad with one of those either.
I'm now Marantz bias but never used to be, always thought more power per channel the better the sound quality.

Owned a plethora of recievers (all brands too many to count) even buying a refurbished with no issues. What do you want it to do ? I bought my most recent AVR and it's a Marantz SR6011 went with this cause I didn't need the heo's feature on the SR 6012. The worst were the Denons first one burnt up1995, came back from vacation to an electrical smell and found only the receiver was toast no effect to the surge strip, no storms a definite head scratcher. The next had the HDMI ouputs short out ? Still under warranty I think it's fixed just left it in the box cause I bought a Integra with Atmos. The Denon and my Yamaha are in their boxes in the garage. If your more into playing music over movies go with what most say the Marantz, for a warmer realistic sound. Integra is the premium Onkyo brand can't do bad with one of those either.
I'm now Marantz bias but never used to be, always thought more power per channel the better the sound quality.
The Marantz 5012 is definitely cheaper than the NAD or Anthem options, especially with last year's model getting liquidated. That one has a little less power than yours but I've survived all these years on the Onkyo at 85W and this one is (rated, for what that's worth) at 100W.

I'd suggest the DENON AVR X2500H, or the X2400H (from last year).
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx2500h

These are great budget receivers. I am now using a X6400H, but am coming from the smaller brother X2200W (which was cheap and good sounding).
These guys are easy to set up, and have tons of features (I particularly like AirPlay). Personally, I don't use room correction because I use it for music, but you need to set it up manually, at least.

I'd suggest connecting the Oppo through HDMI. I'm quite sure it will be hard to hear a difference between the two DACs (Oppo and Denon). Just let the Denon handle the decoding of stereo and surround file sources.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V 1700 and I would like to replace it next year. I have been eyeballing the comparable Yamaha, right now I think it's the RX-A 1080BL. Both were/are right at the $1200 price point, and that's where I'd like to land. Any current new Marantz or Denon receivers I should be considering and comparing?

My last AVR in the main Front room was a Yamaha RX-V667 I thought a good unit but I missed my Onkyo a week after I replaced it, but I went from a component and digital audio setup to an HDMI so I just rode it out for 8 long agonizing years cause my Onkyo sounded better. After having to replace the Denon in the back room to an Integra I realized how poorly that one sounded compared to the new Integra.
So a flashback to the mid 70's when I owned a Marantz 2285 and how great that thing sounded before I gave it to my little brother. So it was Integra or Marantz for the front room Onkyo 3rd. And the 70's Marantz quality was calling me, so I'm not disappointed one bit.

A lot of recent AVRs can actually play multichannel FLAC on their own, if I recall correctly. The Sony I mentioned can for sure, and I believe Yamaha and others as well.
?? From HDMI, yes, but not from USB or network, afaik.

?? From HDMI, yes, but not from USB or network, afaik.
Hey Kal, I'm reading some great things about that NAD unit. I am looking seriously at that unit you suggested - thanks again.

Do you know how reliable NAD is with software features? I read that they will be adding DTS:X support in an upcoming firmware upgrade. Making that receiver more future-proof.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V 1700 and I would like to replace it next year. I have been eyeballing the comparable Yamaha, right now I think it's the RX-A 1080BL. Both were/are right at the $1200 price point, and that's where I'd like to land. Any current new Marantz or Denon receivers I should be considering and comparing?

Not familiar with the Marantz or Denon - but I have a newer Yamaha, and I like some of the features that Yamaha have. Like parametric eq adjustment on each channel - can be used to adjust the sound to your taste after running auto setup. 2 speaker settings that you can switch between on the remote - this includes a lot of settings - like increase the rear channels. And Scene function - compose settings and inputs and switch between them with the remote.

These are functions I use all the time - maybe other brand receivers have the same functions - I don't know lol :smokin

But I know there are a few on this forum that are very happy with their Denon X4400/4500s.

I made the plunge and bought the NAD T 758 v3 today. Had the opportunity to check it out and listen to it (obviously not with my system). But I'm excited to have made this decision.

There are many great options out there and my thanks to everyone for their input. Let you know how I like it once it's set up and calibrated with Dirac.

figure-2-NAD-T-758-V3-AV-Surround-Sound-Receiver.jpg

Dirac looks very interesting, I used to play around with my umik-1 and REW room eq program on the computer all the time back in the old 2 channel days.

Hope you will be happy with the NAD!! :LB

Hey Kal, I'm reading some great things about that NAD unit. I am looking seriously at that unit you suggested - thanks again.

Do you know how reliable NAD is with software features? I read that they will be adding DTS:X support in an upcoming firmware upgrade. Making that receiver more future-proof.
I have no long term experience with most things including NAD.

I'd suggest the DENON AVR X2500H, or the X2400H (from last year).
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx2500h

These are great budget receivers. I am now using a X6400H, but am coming from the smaller brother X2200W (which was cheap and good sounding).
These guys are easy to set up, and have tons of features (I particularly like AirPlay). Personally, I don't use room correction because I use it for music, but you need to set it up manually, at least.

I'd suggest connecting the Oppo through HDMI. I'm quite sure it will be hard to hear a difference between the two DACs (Oppo and Denon). Just let the Denon handle the decoding of stereo and surround file sources.
I have the previous incarnation in the X6200. Although a brilliant receiver for film and TV I found it poor at stereo music. Several months ago I introduced a Rega Elicit-R that has HT by-pass into the system and that has greatly improved the overall presentation from the front left and right speakers. The biggest advantage is that I now no longer listen to stereo music through the Denon and the Rega has really shown just how good my speakers are. With surround music the Rega has certainly widened the front soundstage.

For stereo music I'm using a Marantz 8005 SACD player and for surround SACD a Pioneer LX-58 player. I know I shouldn't admit this on a Quad forum but I much prefer good old fashioned stereo.

Back