New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched 20 minutes of The Wall and OMG! Wow!! I could give 1 ounce of crap about his political overtones......didn't even notice. I only notice an amazing audio/video experience that is top notch. What a stunning presentation......

Yeah, some of the overhead effects are striking! Couple times about scared me to death.... :yikes

Just watched 20 minutes of The Wall and OMG! Wow!! I could give 1 ounce of crap about his political overtones......didn't even notice. I only notice an amazing audio/video experience that is top notch. What a stunning presentation......

Yeah, some of the overhead effects are striking! Couple times about scared me to death.... :yikes

So are you easily able to pick out sounds that you can pinpoint as originating overhead?

I think the Inxs Kick Atmos mix sounds like a regular 5.1 Mix with a little something extra. It’s kind of like when I listen to my stereo mixes with the Dolby Surround upmixer. The R.E.M. disc is a different story. It sounds like I’m in a cocoon. I have yet to play “The Wall” live BD in Atmos but the best Atmos mix I have hands down is the Kraftwerk BD. I just wished I liked the music more. I’d be spinning it non-stop...techno-pop. ?

Okay. After re-running Audyssey, the timing on the Dolby speakers seem to be much improved and it does make a little bit of difference to what I’m hearing with “Kick” but not enough to change my mind, as per my statement above.

I hope Gene is enjoying his new AVR and continue to be impressed, as much as I am. This has been an interesting and sometimes entertaining Thread even with my big goof in trying to help with the speaker configuration problem...LOL ?

Congrats Gene! :banana: I have a 7.1 setup with 2 subs, but no Atmos. :( I'm jealous! :p

Although I don't have Atmos, I've read a good bit about people's setups, and quite a few people increase the 4 Atmos speaker's levels by a few decibels after running calibrations, just to bring them out a bit more in the overall mix, especially people using the upward firing/reflective speakers. It might be worth playing around with. Also congrats again on ordering 2 more matching Klipschs! :cool:

OK, now that I've figured out Atmos.....I want to quietly comment on something that is also dear to me...vinyl. My previous AVR, which is Denons AVRX4000...has dedicated phono inputs as does my new AVRX4400H....only, when I plug in my TT into my current system....I get no sound. :yikes

I'm sure it's simple...but you know...GOS always has trouble. Not sure why....

Speaking about Atmos and Auro, did anyone try to run Auro 2D or 3D over a 5.1.2 setup with front heights? I know this is not a supported configuration by Auro, but will the player do something with the front heights?
I have serious difficulties with my room to be able to place rear heights and before paying the 150€ the Auto license costs, I would like to know if it will work with my current setup.
Thanks!

Sort of. I had a front heights/side ceiling speaker setup which Auro recommends for all three object-based codecs. Difference with this configuration is that while listening to Auro-3D sources or the Auromatic upmixer, only the front two height speakers are active.

As to Auro 2-D, it can be used with any configuration since it uses only the surround channels.

Not so fast. Quoted from the Denon manual:

For the best Auro-3D experience Surround Height speakers are recommended, however you may substitute Rear Height speakers from a Dolby Atmos speaker setup in place of Surround Height speakers.

When I had my speakers set to Atmos ceiling speakers, the receiver didn’t have the option for Auro 3-D, only Auro 2-D. Now that I changed my speaker configuration to the Dolby Upfiring speakers, the Auro 3-D option has returned. I guess, Auro is okay with a diffused but not direct sound while using Atmos speakers. Yes, I’m getting sound out of all four of those speakers and it sounds fantastic with two and four channel sources. I need to try it with 5.1 but so far I like it better than the more echo effect of Dolby Surround and DTS X: Neural. Auro stays much closer to the original source sound while expanding on it. I thought I’d have to move my speakers way up on the wall like the below illustration but I won’t have to now.

6BF10C84-BE7E-4590-84CE-3C8FE616E835.png

So, to answer your original question, maybe configure your speakers to what Auro recommends?

Side note: I’m listening to Fleetwood Mac’s Sugar Daddy right not in Auro 3-D and I’ve never heard that car horn in all my life! :yikes

Gene,

Play around with Auro and tell us what you think.

OK, now that I've figured out Atmos.....I want to quietly comment on something that is also dear to me...vinyl. My previous AVR, which is Denons AVRX4000...has dedicated phono inputs as does my new AVRX4400H....only, when I plug in my TT into my current system....I get no sound. :yikes

I'm sure it's simple...but you know...GOS always has trouble. Not sure why....

Do you have it set on phono? Are you using a moving magnet cartridge? Also, try Direct mode. I’m looking at the manual now.

Not so fast. Quoted from the Denon manual:

When I had my speakers set to Atmos ceiling speakers, the receiver didn’t have the option for Auro 3-D, only Auro 2-D. Now that I changed my speaker configuration to the Dolby Upfiring speakers, the Auro 3-D option has returned. I guess, Auro is okay with a diffused but not direct sound while using Atmos speakers. Yes, I’m getting sound out of all four of those speakers and it sounds fantastic with two and four channel sources. I need to try it with 5.1 but so far I like it better than the more echo effect of Dolby Surround and DTS X: Neural. Auro stays much closer to the original source sound while expanding on it. I thought I’d have to move my speakers way up on the wall like the below illustration but I won’t have to now.

View attachment 32313

So, to answer your original question, maybe configure your speakers to what Auro recommends?

Side note: I’m listening to Fleetwood Mac’s Sugar Daddy right not in Auro 3-D and I’ve never heard that car horn in all my life! :yikes

Gene,

Play around with Auro and tell us what you think.

Uhmmm, maybe this is a small difference using Marantz. In the user manual from my 7011 I finally found the sentence I was looking for: "This unit also can play Auro 3D using standard 5.1 channel and front height speakers". So theoretically it should work...
I'll keep you posted if I finally make up my mind and purchase the license

Gene and QQ gang, I have enjoyed reading the Gene Atmos adventure and tips brought forward but now wondering myself as well is it time to take the plunge and upgrade my home system.
Tough decision as this is looking like my year of moving on from my present job to a non paying job so have to watch my pennies. Do I get hearing aids that I have been recommended trying as a result of hearing loss in 3000-6000 range or do I get a new receiver and speakers to do this Atmos thing, HMMMM, what to do.......

p.s.

Gene, which Kraftwerk 3d did you have the whole boxset or the single 3d bluray release?

Gene and QQ gang, I have enjoyed reading the Gene Atmos adventure and tips brought forward but now wondering myself as well is it time to take the plunge and upgrade my home system.
Tough decision as this is looking like my year of moving on from my present job to a non paying job so have to watch my pennies. Do I get hearing aids that I have been recommended trying as a result of hearing loss in 3000-6000 range or do I get a new receiver and speakers to do this Atmos thing, HMMMM, what to do.......

p.s.

Gene, which Kraftwerk 3d did you have the whole boxset or the single 3d bluray release?
Go for the hearing aids Pete. They will benefit you, and the people around you, much more. i dont know how much your hearing loss is, but I have seen with my father that things brighten up a lot with good hearing aids.

Gos, I'm glad you're getting to grips with the new Denon, on Saturday I managed to get into Cardiff and bought my Denon AVR-X4400H along with a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, unfortunatly they did not have the Dali Atmos speakers that I want, having rung round and searched online, amazingly it seems there are none in the black that I want available in the whole of the UK!
I was away from home Saturday night, but got home on Sunday afternoon and got the Sony Blu-ray connected up, and at first was extremely dissappointed as it wouldn't play my home made DVD+R DVDAs, but after changing settings it now plays them OK along with SACDs and hopefully all my disks.
This morning (Monday) I connected up the Denon, I have configured my 7.1 speakers manually and so far sounding really good, all my inputs (2x TV recorders, Oppo, Sony Blu-ray and Computer) all working fine, I had to set the TV recorders to 'Direct' 'cos though it showed Left front & Right front as the working speakers strangely the sound was only coming from the center.
I have found that the Denon will not play the files on my Nas nor will the Sony they do not seem to see all the folders or their contents, but luckily my Oppo sees and plays them all!
I have ordered the Atmos speakers online and hopefully they will be delivered as soon as the UK gets it's delivery of black ones fron Denmark, can't wait to get them hooked up (Wires are all connected and waiting) and start playing Atmos music and films!

p.s.

I agree with Robert...get the hearing aids...you can always figure out the other stuff later:)

p.s.

I just had the 3disk version. :)

Back