New Depeche Mode film in cinemas November 21st ("Spirits in the Forest")

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
DEPECHE MODE TO PRESENT NEW DOCUMENTARY "DEPECHE MODE: SPIRITS IN THE FOREST" IN CINEMAS WORLDWIDE ON NOVEMBER 21, 2019
FEATURING EMOTIONAL STORIES HIGHLIGHTING THE UNIVERSAL POWER OF MUSIC, INTERWOVEN WITH PERFORMANCES FROM THE BAND'S RECORDBREAKING 2017/2018 GLOBAL SPIRIT TOUR, THE FILM WILL BE PREMIERED BY TRAFALGAR RELEASING AND SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT AS A WORLDWIDE, SPECIAL, ONE-NIGHT THEATRICAL EVENT ON NOVEMBER 21, 2019
Tickets on sale from September 26, 2019 at www.spiritsintheforest.com

London, UK, September 19: Depeche Mode, along with Trafalgar Releasing, Sony Music Entertainment and BBH Entertainment, are excited to announce the upcoming release of the new feature-length documentary and concert film, SPIRITS in the Forest, coming to cinemas worldwide for a one-night event on November 21. The film will bring fans together around the world to celebrate the impact of Depeche Mode's music and performances. SPIRITS in the Forest will be screened in more than 2,400 cinemas, from Adelaide to Zagreb, in over 70 countries.

Directed by award-winning filmmaker and long-time artistic collaborator Anton Corbijn, the release of Depeche Mode: SPIRITS in the Forest follows the band's 2017/2018 Global Spirit Tour, which saw them play to over 3 million fans at 115 shows around the world.

Diving into the deeply emotional stories of six special Depeche Mode fans, the film weaves together exhilarating musical performances filmed at the final shows of the tour at Berlin's famed Waldbühne ("Forest Stage") with intimate documentary footage filmed in the fans' hometowns across the globe. It shows not only how and why the band's popularity and relevance has continued to grow over the course of their career, but provides a unique look into music's incredible power to build communities, enable people to overcome adversity, and create/ connections across the boundaries of language, location, gender, age, and circumstance. "I'm exceptionally proud to share this film and the powerful story that it tells," said Dave Gahan, of Depeche Mode. "It's amazing to see the very real ways that music has impacted the lives of our fans."

Added Martin Gore, "In today's world of turmoil and divisiveness, music really can be a force for good and can bring people together."

1568901736-dmspirits1000.jpg

Last edited:
"Spirits in the Forest" is now available to preorder as a CD/DVD and CD/Blu-Ray set.
Both sets contain the cinematic film and the full live concert entitled "Live Spirits".
https://depechemodeshop.com/collections/media/products/spirits-in-the-forest?variant=31408476389491
I'm think this is the Blu-Ray version:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085571L13
And I think this is the DVD version:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08556TFBG/
:)
Looks good. Maybe they will sneak in a 5.1 version of the "Spirit" studio album?

I watched about 1/4 of it. It just follows 3 fans as they finally get to see DM for the first time. As was already said, very little live footage. Maybe I only saw the Doc part and the full release has a full live show.
Would be cool is there was a 5.1 mix as bonus stuff. It's the only one I'm missing.

I watched about 1/4 of it. It just follows 3 fans as they finally get to see DM for the first time. As was already said, very little live footage. Maybe I only saw the Doc part and the full release has a full live show.
Would be cool is there was a 5.1 mix as bonus stuff. It's the only one I'm missing.
Depeche Mode live in Berlin box included a 5.1 Blu-ray of Delta Machine.

DEPECHE MODE TO PRESENT NEW DOCUMENTARY "DEPECHE MODE: SPIRITS IN THE FOREST" IN CINEMAS WORLDWIDE ON NOVEMBER 21, 2019
FEATURING EMOTIONAL STORIES HIGHLIGHTING THE UNIVERSAL POWER OF MUSIC, INTERWOVEN WITH PERFORMANCES FROM THE BAND'S RECORDBREAKING 2017/2018 GLOBAL SPIRIT TOUR, THE FILM WILL BE PREMIERED BY TRAFALGAR RELEASING AND SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT AS A WORLDWIDE, SPECIAL, ONE-NIGHT THEATRICAL EVENT ON NOVEMBER 21, 2019
Tickets on sale from September 26, 2019 at www.spiritsintheforest.com

London, UK, September 19: Depeche Mode, along with Trafalgar Releasing, Sony Music Entertainment and BBH Entertainment, are excited to announce the upcoming release of the new feature-length documentary and concert film, SPIRITS in the Forest, coming to cinemas worldwide for a one-night event on November 21. The film will bring fans together around the world to celebrate the impact of Depeche Mode's music and performances. SPIRITS in the Forest will be screened in more than 2,400 cinemas, from Adelaide to Zagreb, in over 70 countries.

Directed by award-winning filmmaker and long-time artistic collaborator Anton Corbijn, the release of Depeche Mode: SPIRITS in the Forest follows the band's 2017/2018 Global Spirit Tour, which saw them play to over 3 million fans at 115 shows around the world.

Diving into the deeply emotional stories of six special Depeche Mode fans, the film weaves together exhilarating musical performances filmed at the final shows of the tour at Berlin's famed Waldbühne ("Forest Stage") with intimate documentary footage filmed in the fans' hometowns across the globe. It shows not only how and why the band's popularity and relevance has continued to grow over the course of their career, but provides a unique look into music's incredible power to build communities, enable people to overcome adversity, and create/ connections across the boundaries of language, location, gender, age, and circumstance. "I'm exceptionally proud to share this film and the powerful story that it tells," said Dave Gahan, of Depeche Mode. "It's amazing to see the very real ways that music has impacted the lives of our fans."

Added Martin Gore, "In today's world of turmoil and divisiveness, music really can be a force for good and can bring people together."

1568901736-dmspirits1000.jpg

OH WOW, and buggah all at the same time.
Half a world away - this remotely located avid depeche Mode fan - being a "player of loud noises" - in even louder systems ..

I am absolutely green with envy - as there's no way in high falutin heaven - I could ever scrounge the money for tickets, let alone airfares and accommodation costs, let along the funds to renew bmy long ago expired passport - even IF the NZ BORDER was allowed to open to let me out for that show, as I (at the age of 67) don't actually wish to leave the medical safety of NZ's almost ZERO Covoid-19 cases country - to go somewhere that I would possibly contract it and thus die (as I have way to many respitory problems of old, as well as current medical conditions ailing me - so green with envy I am - but I will go now and thrash the living B-G,zuz - out of the one's I have here..

Why?
Because even though Roxburgh here, in Central Otago NZ, has had a cinema operating for longer (continuously) than any other theatre world wide, Covoid-19 closed it down, and it hasn't restarted yet - plus, being isolated and NOT connected to the internet to be able to be "streaming" a ONE NIGHT ONLY broadcast - there is no way I would be able to see it anyways - even if NZ got this (as it will more likely be "licenced to some beutique cinema up in Auckland etc - 1600 kms away and thus (for too much time & money wasted getting there / staying there or returning home - a distance too far.

PLUS - being done LAST YEAR (also) sort of screws it for me too - as it's yet another - done long ago thing..

Last edited:
:SB:LB:SG:dance:rocks:dance:hi

I'll just have to go back in time - and listen to them this way..

After all - DNA is in our (DM Fan) "blood" isn't it, and if we push our (blood/e) DNA backwards - we'll end up with:
AND
(as that's the opposite to DNA isn't it?)

The Answer - my friends..
HAS TO BE:
NO

Last edited:
I have listened to the document film first, it spoiled it a bit at the end with long excerpts of songs. It was in surround and it's sound more than echo and crowd noise, will have a clear opinion after watching the concert.

If you can look past the fact that the 5.1 mix on this release is "you are there" as opposed to a "they are here and all around you" mix, this is one absolutely stunning live set, easily my favorite of the three Depeche Mode live releases that have been released in the last decade.

The band are still in top form cracking away at so many great songs in a beautiful outdoor location in Berlin. The cinematography and picture quality are miles ahead of previous live releases of theirs.

If you are a DM fan, this new set is a must-have!

:)

I enjoyed this 5.1 mix for a live concert, there is enough activity in the back to fill the room. The picture is also top-notch, but for a band that did many good songs, I would have preferred a better setlist in the first half. But that's me, I'm complaining about the setlist most of the times.

Back