New Hendrix archival release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Billboard is reporting that a new archival Hendrix project will arrive in March.

Unreleased songs recorded by Jimi Hendrix between 1968 and 1970 will be released next year.

Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings announced Wednesday that they will release Hendrix’s Both Sides of the Sky on March 9, 2018. The 13-track album includes 10 songs that have never been released.

Hendrix died in 1970 at age 27. The new album is the third volume in a trilogy from the guitar hero’s archive. Valleys of Neptune was released in 2010, followed by People, Hell and Angels, released in 2013.

Eddie Kramer, who worked as recording engineer on every Hendrix album made during the artist’s life, said in an interview that 1969 was “a very experimental year” for Hendrix, and that he was blown away as he worked on the new album.

“The first thing is you put the tape on and you listen to it and the hairs just stand up right on the back of your neck and you go, ’Oh my God. This is too (expletive) incredible,” said Kramer. “It’s an incredible thing. Forty, 50 years later here we are and I’m listening to these tapes going, ‘Oh my God, that’s an amazing performance.’”

Many of the album’s tracks were recorded by Band of Gypsys, Hendrix’s trio with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox. Stephen Stills appears on two songs: “$20 Fine” and “Woodstock.”

“It sounds like Crosby, Stills & Nash except it’s on acid, you know,” Kramer, laughing, said of “$20 Fine.”

“Jimi is just rocking it,” he added. “It’s an amazing thing.”

Johnny Winter appears on “Things I Used to Do”; original Jimi Hendrix Experience members Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding are featured on “Hear My Train A Comin‴; and Lonnie Youngblood is on “Georgia Blues.”

Kramer produced the album alongside John McDermott and Janie Hendrix, the legend’s sister and president of Experience Hendrix. Kramer said though “Both Sides of the Sky” is the last of the trilogy, someone could find new Hendrix music in an attic or a basement, which could be re-worked.

He also said they have live footage of Hendrix, some just audio and some in video, which they plan to release.

“It was amazing just to watch him in the studio or live. The brain kicks off the thought process -- it goes through his brain through his heart and through his hands and onto the guitar, and it’s a seamless process,” Kramer said. “It’s like a lead guitar and a rhythm guitar at the same time, and it’s scary. There’s never been another Jimi Hendrix, at least in my mind.”

I'd be really surprised if there was anything on there that hasn't been available for some time. A couple of those tracks are pretty good and should have seen the light of day a long time ago. Many have. There's only one track name that I'm not familiar with. I expect that a couple are tapes they got from Chas recorded in the UK. The Woodstock song I'd heard before wasn't very inspiring and I seem to remember that Jimi played bass on it? Hope for the best though

Any REDISCOVERED Hendrix is always like mannah from the gods!!!!!
Right you are, kap'n!
Amazon reports my copy is at the local post office.

I've started Michael Nesmith's autobiography, his description of seeing The Experience on stage the first time (opening for the Monkees) is evocative.

Well, when you think about it.. he died in September 1970 and we are still getting new releases... I don't mind if they are sort of "rehashes"; gimme some Hendrix.. there are a lot of gigs that are still not released and could have a nice sounding legit release.. Albert Hall , anyone???

Last edited:
When it comes to Hendrix I will take any scrapings from the bottom of his barrel. My copy is arriving Friday too :)

I feel the same way about Hendrix...my only reservation is newly released CDs are usually mastered to squash the dynamic range and I can't stand that...no matter how good the content is.....I hope you share your observations about the SQ of this one...I'd love to have it

My Husband just brought in my copy from the Amazon folks.

"Scuse me while I kiss this guy..."

Right you are, kap'n!
Amazon reports my copy is at the local post office.

I've started Michael Nesmith's autobiography, his description of seeing The Experience on stage the first time (opening for the Monkees) is evocative.

I feel like kissing the sky too. After reading the excoriating reviews on Amazon I was dreading listening to this.....
But while I think it is weaker overall than the last two volumes as to be expected I like a lot of it too
It is great to hear johnny winters slide guitar next to hendrix playing together. Another loss that they couldn't work together again. There is some searing hendrix guitar solos to be heard. There is real unheard Hendrix music here at least new to me. This is not where to start as a fan but where to arrive on your journey thru his music.
The Power of Soul is a poor early version but allows you to appreciate the complex rythyms hendrix built the song from. The loss of Hendrix as a player and composer to music is incalculable......
To my ears the cd does not sound brickwalled I have to turn it up loud but I am no expert. I have had a few that hurt my ears a particular Oasis album comes to mind.....
Most of these tracks are constructions, edits of unfinished ideas and jams that are presented. Because that's all thats left. When a person dies at age 27 there wasn't a full life to finish the journey. Can I offer John coltrane as an example....not as young...but not finished with his journey.
I need to listen more to this cd along with the Michael Nesmith cd I just got......
Yes scrapings but from a golden barrell.

Back