• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

NEW HiRez Poll (Dec 2015) - WITH IMBEDDED LINKS!!!!

HomerJAU

Moderator (MCH Media Players)
Staff member
Thanks to all that have replied! I appreciate the great feedback :)

I will fix any reported issues over the weekend, so expect an updated poll soon.

I'd like to thank Jon for allowing me to go ahead with this and providing info when requested.

This all came about after Hyperlinks were suggested in various threads over last couple of years. So I am very pleased I could help Jon auto generate the HiRes Poll with links, and easily keep it updated.

I'd like to do the same to auto create separate 'DTS/DD' (lossy) and 'Quad LP/Tape' polls (as a means to easily find outstanding surround releases in general). So once the HiRez Poll App is completed maybe Jon will approve this work too!

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
I'd like to do the same to auto create separate 'DTS/DD' (lossy) and 'Quad LP/Tape' polls (as a means to easily find outstanding surround releases in general). So once the HiRez Poll App is completed maybe Jon will approve this work too!
THANK YOU!!!! :wave What you have done so far is brilliant.

I would especially love for the QQ Polls on DTS/DD and Quad LPs/Q8s to have the same facility,
if possible, to have them ranked in order of rating/score in the Polls so far as the Hi-Res one does, please..!
Amazing job! :worthy

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Thanks to all that have replied! I appreciate the great feedback :)

I will fix any reported issues over the weekend, so expect an updated poll soon.

I'd like to thank Jon for allowing me to go ahead with this and providing info when requested.

This all came about after Hyperlinks were suggested in various threads over last couple of years. So I am very pleased I could help Jon auto generate the HiRes Poll with links, and easily keep it updated.

Wow, absolutely bl**dy marvellous, so much easier to find things. Thanks. :cool:

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Garry has already fixed the issue and I've updated the poll page.

Guys, Garry has written a PROGRAM to do this! That's pretty damn amazing when you think about it. I don't know how he did it, or how much time it took him to do it, but it's a huge effort and I'm very grateful that he did. It really moved the HiRez Poll feature up a notch or notches.

So now, it's up to you all. GO FORTH AND VOTE. And please please please please - - - - post your thoughts and comments on WHY you are voting the way you are. I don't care if you vote a '10' or a '1', honestly, as long as you tell us your thought process.

THANKS!!!

Ge Someone

Agreed, the review remarks are more helpful than just a rank.

BTW. I'm surprised that no. 4 is an album with only 13 votes.

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
Agreed, the review remarks are more helpful than just a rank.

BTW. I'm surprised that no. 4 is an album with only 13 votes.
How curious.. well, in the interests of possibly helping balance things out a tad I just voted (dunno what took me so long.. :eek: ).. its a decent disc with a cool mix and all but I suspect if it had more votes it might level itself out somehwat and maybe not rank quite so high..?

Clint Eastwood

How curious.. well, in the interests of possibly helping balance things out a tad I just voted (dunno what took me so long.. :eek: ).. its a decent disc with a cool mix and all but I suspect if it had more votes it might level itself out somehwat and maybe not rank quite so high..?
Is it a Silverline Adam?

DennisMabry

900 Club - QQ All Star
I'm a little late to the party, but Wow, how great is this! An impressive feature addition to an already invaluable QQ resource.

LizardKing

QQ King Lizard
THANK YOU!!!! :wave What you have done so far is brilliant.

I would especially love for the QQ Polls on DTS/DD and Quad LPs/Q8s to have the same facility,
if possible, to have them ranked in order of rating/score in the Polls so far as the Hi-Res one does, please..!
Amazing job! :worthy
Ohh yes.. that would be awesome - and thanks Garry...& Jon..

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
That might have been a red flag for a lot of people...like me...even though I know of some good Silverline discs...I don't think I'd buy another one..
Well you know I'm kind of both forgiving and condemning of Silverline in almost equal measure but with a bias toward the condemnation, when they got it right they really got it right but when they stuffed up -- oh boy, they sucked big time.... :rolleyes: ..but if you haven't heard them before and you even like the prospect of Big Band arrangements of stuff there's quite a few (like 4 or something?) Gordon Goodwin 5.1's from Silverline (first two were on DVD-A first and then re-released on DVD-A DualDisc, the next couple of 5.1 releases were in DVD-V form iirc) all with excellent surround mixes.

Anyway... back to the future of the QQ POLLS...!!! :wave

HomerJAU

Moderator (MCH Media Players)
Staff member
A lot of newer discs have scored extremely high in this latest ranking:

9.68 YES - "Fragile" (2015 Mix)
9.42 KING CRIMSON - "THRAK"
9.38 XTC - "Oranges & Lemons"
9.38 GENTLE GIANT - "Octopus"

If you are on the fence about any of these, maybe these ratings will sway you in the right direction! :)
Being a poll freak myself I've noticed that several new releases have polled quite high early then drifted down the list as more votes come in.

I've wondered whether that's due to the initial reviews coming from pre-orders/fans of those titles, later it's votes from surround collectors that are maybe more critical?

César

800 Club - QQ All Star
Thanks a lot Garry and Jon! I'm not a poll believer and I hardly vote myself as I don't think I'm the best of the judges (don't have any musical background, just a humble pair of ears). But being able to go directly from the polls to read all your valuable comments, fellow QQ'ers is a wonderful feature. Thanks!!!

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
Being a poll freak myself I've noticed that several new releases have polled quite high early then drifted down the list as more votes come in.

I've wondered whether that's due to the initial reviews coming from pre-orders/fans of those titles, later it's votes from surround collectors that are maybe more critical?
Time can always change a perspective on something. There's lots of discs I would probably vote lower on now simply because better discs have come along after voting, not to mention that more listens to a particular disc over time could actually increase its favorability with a listener. Each person's vote is a moment in time based on what they were experiencing at the moment of voting, so who knows how many people would want to change their votes on certain discs today if they could. This all certainly makes for an interesting thought… :)

Ninecats

400 Club - QQ All Star
When I joined this site I must admit that I found it strange NOT having links to the polls (as they're directly connected to one another), but of course knew nothing about how hard it would be to code. So this is a welcome addition, it is WAY more logical.

Last edited: