New Mac Mini...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still no more true pro machines on the horizon for Apple. I don't think they're ever coming back. Looks like more of the disposable business with the SSD even soldered to the logic board just like the current laptops. I've drank an awful lot of the Apple koolaid over the years and would never consider a Windows restricted machine. But I'd also never consider anything Apple produced after 2012. Stay with the 2011 and 2012 models at present. Way more bang for the buck IMHO.

Still no more true pro machines on the horizon for Apple. I don't think they're ever coming back. Looks like more of the disposable business with the SSD even soldered to the logic board just like the current laptops. I've drank an awful lot of the Apple koolaid over the years and would never consider a Windows restricted machine. But I'd also never consider anything Apple produced after 2012. Stay with the 2011 and 2012 models at present. Way more bang for the buck IMHO.

I'm using an iMac (20 inch, early 2008) that seems to be able to do everything I need, but I'm at the end of the OS upgrade chain at OS 10.11.6. That may actually be a good thing, but TurboTax keeps requiring OS upgrades almost every year...They are now requiring at least 10.12. Might be time to switch to H&R Block software.

My wife has a newer iMac from 2015 (I get all the hand-me-down models.) It's a beautiful, huge 4K display yet with no disc drive, no built-in Blu-ray capability and a miniscule lap-top size keyboard. She complains about how it operates and that Apple's business plan seems focused on compelling people into buying cloud space.

That machine supports the latest and greatest OSX (10.14). I recommend not upgrading past 10.13 at this point however. Serious bugs in the .0 version of 14 beyond just the installer. Apple installers have had bugs themselves for the past few revisions now - or if you prefer, evidence of planned obsolescence. Look up Dosdude1 online for patches if you are having trouble installing. Cloning installs between different hardware models isn't as supported as it used to be either. If you have trouble, do a clean install and migrate your old system to it. Your iMac is much nicer than the newer watered down models (post 2012). You have the better machine there. If you don't have a SSD in it for a hard drive, upgrade to that and it will be fully modern performance.

That machine supports the latest and greatest OSX (10.14). I recommend not upgrading past 10.13 at this point however. Serious bugs in the .0 version of 14 beyond just the installer. Apple installers have had bugs themselves for the past few revisions now - or if you prefer, evidence of planned obsolescence. Look up Dosdude1 online for patches if you are having trouble installing. Cloning installs between different hardware models isn't as supported as it used to be either. If you have trouble, do a clean install and migrate your old system to it. Your iMac is much nicer than the newer watered down models (post 2012). You have the better machine there. If you don't have a SSD in it for a hard drive, upgrade to that and it will be fully modern performance.

Jim, do you mean this:

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

One thing, though, if putting Sierra on my mac wipes out iDVD, my wife will make me go live in the shed.

I know folks that swear by Macs. I just swear at Windows machines....all my Windows boxes know all my swear words so guess I'll just keep 'em and stick with what I know.
I recently installed a new 4GB HDD and took me 2 days and umpteen utilities to get it to transfer data > a few Mbps. lol, still don't know what was wrong.

Back