• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)

Snood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Staff member
Hi Phil Hi Slampy and Hi Aero :banana:

Snood would said hi earlier but Hurricane Irma took me power and Internet for awhile :yikes

Yes you all came to the right place for info and funz:cool: and a lighter wallet due to all the koo tunes you gonna wanna pick up

If ya have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask ..... no matter how pro or Newby it is......If not for these koo people here Snood would have never learned most of the stuff me know now:mad:@:

Welcome aboard the QQ fun forums....now get out there and get some more surround tunes :51banana:

CykoMF

Hola Compadres!

New guy here, just introducing myself.

Looks like a cool place where people's eyes don't roll into the back of their skulls when I start talking about surround.

Once the initial shock wears off I think it'll be fun.

Menana

Snood

Staff member
Hiya Cyko glad ya made it :banana:

Think you will really enjoy it here lotta information and freindly folks tooooooooooooooooooo :cool:

thomasfb

Hi folks,

the member Dave wrote me about this thread
and invited me to introduce myself.

In the 70's I started playing around with my
fathers SQ quadraphonic music system made by Siemens.
At that time I didn't know the meaning of "quad".
Some years later, after my apprenticeship in electronics,
I understood the meaning of quad.

After that, during my studies in electronics enginering I hunted any
quad vinyl I could get, exclusively SQ. Most of them I got
from the USA. Of course, money is limited.
I guess I own about 400 SQ vinyls.

My first decoder is a Full-Logic decoder made by myself.
The heart of this decoder are three specialized ICs made by
Motorola. Not really happy with it, I searched for a better decoder
and was lucky enough to get a Tate on eBay ...
The Tate opened a new dimension ... and I was spending hours
and hours listening to my SQ vinyls ...

Recently, I am interested in decoding music signals by means of
DSPs. Also improving the spaciousness of music by filtering the signals
is an issue for me. Let's see how far this goes.

Nevertheless, I am a keen listener of the old school SQ.

Cordially

Thomas

theorbscureddj

My God, its full of stars
Good evening everybody... this is my second attempt to join (yes, I did check my spam folders :mad:@: ) so I'm glad to finally be here.

My initial reasons for joining is to discover more about a JVC DF-19E Quad multi format system which I'm on the cusp of purchasing, with a view to finally discovering what my the quad records in my collection actually sound like. The results of this purchase will determine if I look at sourcing more vintage quad releases.

I also have a modern 5.1 AV setup... but my main two-channel system, embracing vinyl, CD (SACD/HDCD) and flac, is what currently provides me with the most amount of daily musical enjoyment... but I do hope that my foray into Quad will be a pleasant surprise... :)

Cheers
Pete

Hi to Pete above.

I've been registered here for a while, but have only something worth posting now! :yikes

(I think!)

Many Many years ago, I had a professional involvement with SQ quadraphonics, and as part of that, met Ben Bauer, and had a visit to the CBS plant in the UK, but that was back in my youth.

A few years ago, I fancied a project and trying SQ again and built myself a full-logic decoder using a Motorola chip set, claimed to be NOS, on eBay. It seems to work fine, and I've been slowly building up a collection of SQ encoded LPs.

Anyway, what has prompted this post is that today, I've managed to secure a Sony SQD-2020 decoder, which I hope will be better than my DIY efforts, and even if it isn't, the VU meters will be flashier than what I currently use, which has a single red LED power-on light.

I exhibited my SQ rig a few years ago at the UK's Scalford HiFi show, and intend to do it again next year, hopefully using the SQD 2020 instead of my DIY unit.

Anyone in the UK, or willing to travel to Scalford will be welcome.

I'll be using an EMT 948 turntable as the source. As to 'speakers, probably JR149s at the front and Genelec 1029As at the back.

S.

Snood

Staff member
Hiya Thomas, Obscured Dj and Sergeaucland

Sorry Snood not see these sooooooooooooooooner have no idea how they escaped my New Posts search hmmmm:rolleyes:

Either way, welcome aboard and pleaaaaaaaaaase feel free to ask all the questions ya want. Said it many times before and nothing has changed.........lotsa koo awesome people here ready to help ya :banana:

Welcome aboard and glad you 3 are one of us now :cool::cool:

Please post those rigs in the hardware section tooooooooooooooooooooooo . Niiiiiiiiiice:yikes

theorbscureddj

My God, its full of stars
Many thanks for the warm welcome chaps... and hey back to you Serge ;)

The good news is that since my previous post, I managed to secure the JVC DF-19E Quadraphonic multi format system and its now half way through a staged shipping from Dundee (in Scotland) to me here in South London, via a storage stay in Huddersfield. Once it gets to me here and if its tests as working, I too will be exhibiting it in a Quadraphonic only room at Scalford in 2018. I have a selection of SQ quad Mike Oldfield releases and a David Bedford BBC Matrix H disc to start, but as Serge has identified that JVC were the name behind CD-4, I've been putting together a list of CD-4 discs on Discogs, based on the various lists and posts here... so I'll be posting a sort of mini blog on my journey into quad here, with the first post appearing in the relevant section of the forum over the weekend. So watch this space :)

smurfer

Hi Folks,

I usually hang out on audiokarma but this forum keeps coming up more and more in my google searches, so here I am after lurking for a couple of months. I'm really into restoring vintage amplifiers, mostly Sansui from 60s and 70, but also other brands. I'm also into restoring reel-to-reel machines and archiving prerecorded tapes into digital format. I dabled with 5.1 when it first came out and then went back to 2-channel ever since. Well, I've had this growing bug to try one of the sansui quad offerings. A long time ago I bought a Sansui QS-1 (which I know has limited capability) but I need to repair it and haven't got it going yet. Lately I got more and more curious about the QRX9001 and an interesting amp to restore... lots of things for me to fix up inside ;). I almost grabbed a QSD-2, which I understand has a similar setup to the X001 circuits. Well I just bought the 3-band QSD-1 instead..... and well, that's that.... I'm hooked. What is mind blowing is how well sounds get steered around when I watch regular 2channel movies and tv shows. I can hear I need to align the QSD-1 (left is a bit lower than right), so I will do that shortly and toy with the debated bleed resistors which I can see at the inputs and outputs of the QSD-1. I'm a bit fan of getting rid of electrolytic caps in signal path so that is on the cards too. I have some experience with characterizing transistors and circuits, and will also toy with lowering the noise floor of the QSD-1, which is acceptable but audible.

Additionally, I'm very excited about the Involve Surround Master (and yes, I've read the various threads...); I'm getting one of those as soon as they come out with the new case (which the chaps over at Involve told me is 3 months (which they said means 6 months)).

Cheers from San Francisco

Snood

Staff member
Hi Folks,

I usually hang out on audiokarma but this forum keeps coming up more and more in my google searches, so here I am after lurking for a couple of months. I'm really into restoring vintage amplifiers, mostly Sansui from 60s and 70, but also other brands. I'm also into restoring reel-to-reel machines and archiving prerecorded tapes into digital format. I dabled with 5.1 when it first came out and then went back to 2-channel ever since. Well, I've had this growing bug to try one of the sansui quad offerings. A long time ago I bought a Sansui QS-1 (which I know has limited capability) but I need to repair it and haven't got it going yet. Lately I got more and more curious about the QRX9001 and an interesting amp to restore... lots of things for me to fix up inside ;). I almost grabbed a QSD-2, which I understand has a similar setup to the X001 circuits. Well I just bought the 3-band QSD-1 instead..... and well, that's that.... I'm hooked. What is mind blowing is how well sounds get steered around when I watch regular 2channel movies and tv shows. I can hear I need to align the QSD-1 (left is a bit lower than right), so I will do that shortly and toy with the debated bleed resistors which I can see at the inputs and outputs of the QSD-1. I'm a bit fan of getting rid of electrolytic caps in signal path so that is on the cards too. I have some experience with characterizing transistors and circuits, and will also toy with lowering the noise floor of the QSD-1, which is acceptable but audible.

Additionally, I'm very excited about the Involve Surround Master (and yes, I've read the various threads...); I'm getting one of those as soon as they come out with the new case (which the chaps over at Involve told me is 3 months (which they said means 6 months)).

Cheers from San Francisco
Smuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurfer welcome aboard and awesome stuff ya into and doing very very kooooooooooooo :banana:

Lots of people koo awesome people here ya can bounce stuff back and forth on - Awesssssssssssssssssome

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Hi All,
I've bee trying to join for some time (it's years since the first attempt), but it was just now that I realised it's the anti spam protection that kept my name blocked (although it stated as available), so I just thought that maybe there is a ban on the whole country by IP.. (wouldn't be too surprised). But finally I chose a silly name :)rolleyes:), then changing an email for a second attempt for email verification and it was finally done. :)
My interest in quad started as soon as I learned about it in an old amateur DIY-electro magazine article about SQ decoding (which was quite surprising as in Czechoslovakia there were not many quad systems available at the time.. not to mention a quad records..).
During last decades I've been a victim of media and a/v systems hoarding. :) So my setup now includes all kinds of multichannel audio. Would be nice to have some discussion about topics I haven't found in the forum yet..
Ah, almost forgot to add the :banana:

Snood

Staff member
Hi All,
I've bee trying to join for some time (it's years since the first attempt), but it was just now that I realised it's the anti spam protection that kept my name blocked (although it stated as available), so I just thought that maybe there is a ban on the whole country by IP.. (wouldn't be too surprised). But finally I chose a silly name :)rolleyes:), then changing an email for a second attempt for email verification and it was finally done. :)
My interest in quad started as soon as I learned about it in an old amateur DIY-electro magazine article about SQ decoding (which was quite surprising as in Czechoslovakia there were not many quad systems available at the time.. not to mention a quad records..).
During last decades I've been a victim of media and a/v systems hoarding. :) So my setup now includes all kinds of multichannel audio. Would be nice to have some discussion about topics I haven't found in the forum yet..
Ah, almost forgot to add the :banana:
The Power of The Banana is strong in this one :banana::banana::banana:

Welcome aboard Don and glad ya finally figured out how to join up - man oh man :mad:@:

Hope to see ya discussing all kinds of stuff with us here - People here are always willing to discuss and answer any questions ya might have. The QQ is Koooooooooo :banana::banana::banana:

Quadlearner

In the past month, we have increased the membership here by over 100 new members! This is great. However, there are a LOT of members who never post.

There are also folks who signed up with bogus email addresses and email addresses that block the return verification email that verifies the membership application allowing the new members to post.

I would like to clear out all of the orphaned memberships that have been created over the last year so that we can have a good feel for how many true members we really have.

If you lurkers would please post a response to this tread, just say "Hello", or tell us about your system, or your favorite surround title, or even just a message with a dancing banana or smile, this would make your post count = 1 and I will know that you are a participating member.
OK now, let's get a real long thread goin here from members with no posts!

WELCOME![/QUOTE/}

:)

Snood

Staff member
In the past month, we have increased the membership here by over 100 new members! This is great. However, there are a LOT of members who never post.

There are also folks who signed up with bogus email addresses and email addresses that block the return verification email that verifies the membership application allowing the new members to post.

I would like to clear out all of the orphaned memberships that have been created over the last year so that we can have a good feel for how many true members we really have.

If you lurkers would please post a response to this tread, just say "Hello", or tell us about your system, or your favorite surround title, or even just a message with a dancing banana or smile, this would make your post count = 1 and I will know that you are a participating member.
OK now, let's get a real long thread goin here from members with no posts!

WELCOME![/QUOTE/}

:)
:banana: