• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)

shakti

Just registered here, I've been a member of the Steve Hoffman forum for more than 15 years. I'm not really an audophile, just a die-hard music lover who spent a lot more time both listening and collecting until I became a father 6 years ago. I bought my first multichannel discs more or less by accident some 15-16 years ago when I bought my first SACD player. I think Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock and Mysterious Traveller by Weather Report were the first two. I was knocked out by the hi-res sound in stereo and didn't have a multichannel setup, but as I bought more and more SACDs (and later on Blu-Ray discs and DVD-As) I always intended to get a setup.

Unfortunately that never happened until just a month or so ago. Older multi-channel receivers with old HDMI versions are dirt cheap, and I have a music room with all my guitar gear and records now, so the time was finally right. WOW! What a revelation to finally hear these discs in glorious surround sound! I've been on a buying binge the past month, picking up the following surround titles:
Jeff Beck - Wired
Santana - Lotus
Santana/Coltrane - Illuminations (in the mail)
Herbie Hancock - Thrust
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
XTC - Black Sea (in the mail)
Who - Quadrophenia (in the mail)

From before, I had the aforementioned Hancock and Weather Report, Miles' Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way, Allman Bros Fillmore East and Eat a Peach plus Fillmore 3xBlu-Ray, Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, the King Crimson 69-74 titles from the 40th ann editions, all the Dylan multi-channel SACDs, Dark Side of the Moon, Who - Tommy, Deep Purple - Machine Head, some Moody Blues and a few more I forget at the moment. I am falling in love with this stuff all over again, such a great sound experience! It doesn't hurt that many of these are audiophile releases with excellent mastering and hi-res versions also of the stereo mixes, but I have my player set to default to multichannel, to put it that way...

My favourite quad mixes out of these would be;
Herbie Hancock - Thrust and Head Hunters (both killer, always gave Thrust the edge)
Miles - In a Silent Way (just a breathtaking mix, can't wait for Bitches Brew)
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
Still haven't gotten through all my discs!

And then the ever-popular "most wanted" list:

Known quad/surround mixes:
Santana - III, Caravanserai, Welcome, Borboletta
Santana/McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Miles Davis - Live/Evil, Jack Johnson sessions (mixed to 5.1 but not released)

And the ones that should/must be mixed to surround:
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland (and Are You Experienced, Axis Bold as Love)
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard A True Star, Todd, Initiation
Can - Future Days (might not be possible?)
Pink Floyd - Animals, Meddle and Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi and Crossings (Quasar would be downright frightening in surround!)
Miles Davis - On the Corner, Get Up With It, Dark Magus, Miles in the Sky, Filles de Kilimanjaro...anything, really!

Clint Eastwood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Just registered here, I've been a member of the Steve Hoffman forum for more than 15 years. I'm not really an audophile, just a die-hard music lover who spent a lot more time both listening and collecting until I became a father 6 years ago. I bought my first multichannel discs more or less by accident some 15-16 years ago when I bought my first SACD player. I think Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock and Mysterious Traveller by Weather Report were the first two. I was knocked out by the hi-res sound in stereo and didn't have a multichannel setup, but as I bought more and more SACDs (and later on Blu-Ray discs and DVD-As) I always intended to get a setup.

Unfortunately that never happened until just a month or so ago. Older multi-channel receivers with old HDMI versions are dirt cheap, and I have a music room with all my guitar gear and records now, so the time was finally right. WOW! What a revelation to finally hear these discs in glorious surround sound! I've been on a buying binge the past month, picking up the following surround titles:
Jeff Beck - Wired
Santana - Lotus
Herbie Hancock - Thrust

From before, I had the aforementioned Hancock and Weather Report, Miles' Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way, Allman Bros Fillmore East and Eat a Peach plus Fillmore 3xBlu-Ray, Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, the King Crimson 69-74 titles from the 40th ann editions, all the Dylan multi-channel SACDs, Dark Side of the Moon, Who - Tommy, Deep Purple - Machine Head, some Moody Blues and a few more I forget at the moment. I am falling in love with this stuff all over again, such a great sound experience! It doesn't hurt that many of these are audiophile releases with excellent mastering and hi-res versions also of the stereo mixes, but I have my player set to default to multichannel, to put it that way...

Herbie Hancock - Thrust and Head Hunters (both killer, always gave Thrust the edge)
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi and Crossings (Quasar would be downright frightening in surround!)
Miles Davis - On the Corner, Get Up With It, Dark Magus, Miles in the Sky, Filles de Kilimanjaro...anything, really!
I'm glad you decided to join us...welcome:hi..we have some outstanding members from Norway...maybe you might already know them...in any event...I hope you become an active member...you certainly have a lot you could contribute...plenty of like souls on here(music lovers) who like to talk about music:dance

fredblue

QQ member number 4041

Jeff Beck - Wired
Santana - Lotus
Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Herbie Hancock - Sextant

welcome to QQ! I have enjoyed your posts of late over at the SHF regarding multichannel music and hope you have a blast here as you continue to build your surround sound collection, you're amongst many like-minded friends (y)

Green

Fill in the _____
Just started to post.

I am listening to surround again after my fathers passing. I could not enjoy anything for many months. Thought I would listen to GNR AFD.
I sympathize and empathize with you on your father's death, PaulMichael and on coming back to the forum we not only have you covered but surrounded. Be good.

Snood

Staff member
Hiya Shakti, Awesome listings and story and if ya like the XTC BLACK SEA - their Oranges & Lemons and Nonsuch are awesome tooooo Skylarking also - the Santana Lotus will NOT knock ya out and do not forget to get The Who Tommy :rocks Snood takes it you heard about the upcoming Japan SACD release of Bitches Brew in Quad :SG

You have come to the right place - hold on to your wallet lol - Snood advice go slow buy the stuff you know you will like first then expand :LB

Welcome aboard :QQlove

sjcorne

400 Club - QQ All Star

Jeff Beck - Wired
Santana - Lotus
Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Excellent first post! Seems you're something of a fusion fan...I hadn't really been exposed to that genre until I bought some of the discs you mentioned (Head Hunters, Wired, Mysterious Traveller, etc). Now I'm definitely a convert!

If you're looking for more fusion in surround, I would highly recommend the quad mixes of Return To Forever's MusicMagic and Airto Moreira's Fingers, both released on SACD by Dutton-Vocalion, as well as the now OOP quad SACD of Billy Cobham's Spectrum from Audio Fidelity.

On a related note, Weather Report's Tale Spinnin' also has an excellent quad mix that will hopefully make it to SACD someday soon (along with all the other titles you mentioned).

BTW, if you drop me a PM I may be able to help quite a bit with your wantlist...

sacdman

Hi and nice to join up with other hi-res and multichannel listeners. Just saying hello and looking forward to some great discussions about multichannel music and formats. I have no axes to grind about any formats and I am pretty flexible on that. Hoping to get some good tips on shopping. Where I am in Canada, imports are pretty pricey, so maybe someone can direct me to get better prices on some of those imports. Listen to mostly Classical, but I enjoy Jazz, Rock and a little blues too. :)

GOS

GOS 3.0
Hi and nice to join up with other hi-res and multichannel listeners. Just saying hello and looking forward to some great discussions about multichannel music and formats. I have no axes to grind about any formats and I am pretty flexible on that. Hoping to get some good tips on shopping. Where I am in Canada, imports are pretty pricey, so maybe someone can direct me to get better prices on some of those imports. Listen to mostly Classical, but I enjoy Jazz, Rock and a little blues too. :)
Awesome to have you. Hopefully you can find ways to acquire titles in a more cost sensitive way. Most here are frugal and always posting great deals, so you should log in daily to catch those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snood

Staff member
Heya SACDMAN - Welcome aboard the QQ fun machine :LB

As Snood always says - make sure ya post any and all questions no matter how big or small or detailed or noobish like Snood is - these people are happy to answer and help anyone. They even Helped Meeeeeeeee get all understandish and me is Snood. Go Figure.:SB

Glad ya are here and post away - lotta great titles out there to snag and more coming toooooooooooo:SG I take it you saw the Miles Davis 2 sacd multichannel Bitches Brew from Japan coming right?:SG

sacdman

Heya SACDMAN - Welcome aboard the QQ fun machine :LB

As Snood always says - make sure ya post any and all questions no matter how big or small or detailed or noobish like Snood is - these people are happy to answer and help anyone. They even Helped Meeeeeeeee get all understandish and me is Snood. Go Figure.:SB

Glad ya are here and post away - lotta great titles out there to snag and more coming toooooooooooo:SG I take it you saw the Miles Davis 2 sacd multichannel Bitches Brew from Japan coming right?:SG
Yes, and the price is pretty scary. Hoping for a price drop on that one. Thanks for the welcome and nice to be here!

4-earredwonder

Jeff Beck - Wired
Santana - Lotus
Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Welcome to the forum, shakti.

GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC.

BTW, the CAN albums [I have all of their SACDs.....13, I believe] when played via the Super mode on my pre/pro casts a pretty unbelievable surround field around my listening room.