New (overlooked) Elliott Scheiner mix: Alain Mallet, Mutt Slang (DTS CD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Wasn't quite sure where to start this thread, since it's not exactly news from Elliott Scheiner himself--and I don't know that it merits a poll page (yet). But I recently learned of an obscure record that Scheiner mixed to 5.1 last year, by jazz-slash-"world" pianist & composer Alain Mallet, called Mutt Slang.

Amazon is out of stock, but you can order it from CD Baby, where Mallet will see a much bigger share of the sale, anyway. Their description doesn't reflect this--and apparently they're not even aware of it--but Mallet confirmed to me by email that what CD Baby is selling for $15 is actually a 2-disc set with Scheiner's 5.1 mix on Disc 2 (I think it's a DTS-CD).

If you want to preview the music--in stereo, obviously--CD Baby is streaming the entire album on Spotify and YouTube.

MS+Cover.jpg

Yes Snood got one ordered on CDbaby Back ordered tooo - Amazon is out of Stock and a lil more expensive at 20.70 Prime

Thank You humprof..... weird did not hear about this one :SG

Looks like it came out last year in July of 2017

Love the ragged~looking Dingos on the cover......or are they werewolves on crack?

Great to have some JAZZ/World music in 5.1 and from listening to the album on YouTube [thanks to humprof], it should be a superlative Scheiner remix!

Last edited:
Well, it does state DTS surround and I would imagine it's a RBCD DTS 5.1 disc [not BD~A or DVD~A] and ironically Etrain Records is in Mamaroneck, NY, a scant fifteen minutes from my house.

Great find, haikubass!

BTW, you all might find THIS interesting: https://glassonyonpr.com/category/etrain-records/

It seems Etrain Records formed an association with Audio Fidelity which released Scheiner's 5.1 remix SACD of Let It Snow. If AF had continued this series with Elliot Scheiner/Etrain Records, this [Mutt Slang] might have been an Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD in higher resolution than DTS 5.1. https://audiofidelity.net/product/new-york-voices-let-it-snow

OH WELL!

And BTW [again], Let It Snow is an excellent Christmas recording with arrangements by the great Don Sebesky [CTI Records] and even the Stereo mix on the SACD was mastered by Darcy Proper and is audiophile in nature with excellent DISCRETE use of surrounds including superb musicianship and vocalizing from the New York Voices [think Manhattan Transfer].

Last edited:
BTW, you all might find THIS interesting: https://glassonyonpr.com/category/etrain-records/

It seems Etrain Records formed an association with Audio Fidelity which released Scheiner's 5.1 remix SACD of Let It Snow. If AF had continued this series with Elliot Scheiner/Etrain Records, this [Mutt Slang] might have been an Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACD in higher resolution than DTS 5.1.

Interesting. I wonder what else was on deck in the planned "series"--and if Etrain might eventually bring those out, too.

My copy just arrived in today's mail, and it's really lovely. (And it is indeed a DTS-CD.) Some tunes remind me a little of Offramp-era Pat Metheny, others of Luciana Souza or Omer Avital. We need more discrete mixes like this in the world of jazz releases!

Also: searching for this thread, I see that this title was also mentioned in haikubass's comprehensive list of 2017 releases. So thanks, haikubass!

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder what else was on deck in the planned "series"--and if Etrain might eventually bring those out, too.

Good question. I tried to research Etrain's other releases but came up empty. Are there any other Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remixes lurking in their vaults? There was a lot of excitement and anticipation when AF announced its association with Scheiner, but, alas, it came too late. Imagine what could've been if ES aligned earlier with AF but the stars just weren't in alignment.

Hope my copy arrives soon from CDBaby. Really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
My copy just arrived in today's mail, and it's really lovely. (And it is indeed a DTS-CD.) Some tunes remind me a little of Offramp-era Pat Metheny, others of Luciana Souza or Omer Avital. We more discrete mixes like this in the world of jazz releases!

Also: searching for this thread, I see that this title was also mentioned in haikubass's comprehensive list of 2017 releases. So thanks, haikubass!

A DTS-CD, who would have thought... Hunting season starts here, thanks for the info!

Oh yes, I keep the old lists up to date - once you see me liking a post/thread, you can count on me adding the bit.

Ordered. I have no issue with DTS CD whatsoever. Every one I already have sounds fine.
I hope I get the 2-disc set! That is weird to not even include the surround mix in the description.

That is our station in the musical world....although we think we walk in the clouds...we basically sweep out the restroomso_O

Yeah I’m not sure why the description is wrong. I back ordered it from cdbaby and figured I would never receive a copy. Never received a shipping notice. Just showed up at my mailbox! Hopefully y’all like world jazz because that’s what it is. At this point any Elliot Scheiner mix is an instant buy. He is the original and the master. Hopefully more of his shelved projects will see the light of day!

Back