• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

NEW POLL OPTION: "Change your vote"

Test this poll thing out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clint Eastwood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
It might happen, probably one here and there, I see no harm. What crisis do you think would ensue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just in disbelief that anyone would go back YEARS to change a vote....I made some wrong observations when I first became a member...I was so excited about surround titles in general I thought everything was great...but that's part of the natural evolution of the hobby....and to be candid...these evaluations are very subjective...there is no wrong answer....but to go to the lengths of going back years to change a vote...it's difficult to understand the motives behind this type of action...is this some type of personal vindication of your evaluation skills....you could merely post on the thread that you felt differently now about the title and give the reason why...like others have done...

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
For the record, I am definitely in favor of allowing QQ users to change their poll votes, and I told Jon I would go through and edit every poll to allow for this function.
Now would I go back and change many of my own votes? Probably not, but there are definitely some that I voted too high and maybe also a few that I voted too low.
Votes are always in the perspective at the time, and that perspective can change over time with more listens (especially in different environments) and as more discs come along, some that looked really good at first might go down a bit when something better comes along.

A perfect example would be "A Farewell to Kings" by RUSH. There is no way I would rate the original 2011 5.1 surround mix a '10' after hearing Steven Wilson's 5.1 surround mix, so that's definitely one I would change.

If you don't want to change any of your votes, fine. Everyone can leave their votes as is, but I know several people have wanted to change their votes on certain titles for years, and well, now's the time that we can actually implement that, so I say "Dilly, Dilly!"

Also, why is Snood still here? I thought we were supposed to ban him already... ;)

timbre4

Moderator on Bass
Staff member
It might happen, probably one here and there, I see no harm. What crisis do you think would ensue?

I'm just in disbelief that anyone would go back YEARS to change a vote....I made some wrong observations when I first became a member...I was so excited about surround titles in general I thought everything was great...but that's part of the natural evolution of the hobby....and to be candid...these evaluations are very subjective...there is no wrong answer....but to go to the lengths of going back years to change a vote...it's difficult to understand the motives behind this type of action...is this some type of personal vindication of your evaluation skills....you could merely post on the thread that you felt differently now about the title and give the reason why...like others have done...
I’m not adopting this as my life‘s mission! The intention was to state if I came across something that I felt differently about today, I would consider changing it.

Edit: I regret my earlier tone and so changed my “vote” for the common good.

Last edited:

LuvMyQuad

800 Club - QQ All Star
A perfect example would be "A Farewell to Kings" by RUSH. There is no way I would rate the original 2011 5.1 surround mix a '10' after hearing Steven Wilson's 5.1 surround mix, so that's definitely one I would change.
I was initially pretty non-committal on this topic. My thought now is that, the people on this site whose opinions I trust most would likely comment on making the change and why they made it, kind of like how RT did above. Those secondary comments might make me re-think about how I truly feel about that release.

That might be interesting. And then we could reply and say comforting things like...

Wow! A 10 for that 2011 Rush debacle eh? I'm sure it made sense to you at the time. :p

Clint Eastwood

For the record, I am definitely in favor of allowing QQ users to change their poll votes, and I told Jon I would go through and edit every poll to allow for this function.
Now would I go back and change many of my own votes? Probably not, but there are definitely some that I voted too high and maybe also a few that I voted too low.
Votes are always in the perspective at the time, and that perspective can change over time with more listens (especially in different environments) and as more discs come along, some that looked really good at first might go down a bit when something better comes along.

If you don't want to change any of your votes, fine. Everyone can leave their votes as is, but I know several people have wanted to change their votes on certain titles for years, and well, now's the time that we can actually implement that, so I say "Dilly, Dilly!"

Also, why is Snood still here? I thought we were supposed to ban him already... ;)
This is the last comment I will make about this....your example of Farewell to Kings is an perfect illustration of what is wrong with this "factual revision"....comparing something that didn't exist at the time of a release negates the authenticity of the time period in question....it is the equivalent of going back in the archives and inserting current comments and using the archive date(2011)...you are making a comparison that didn't exist......when I go back and read some of these old threads and polls it is interesting to see how the posters at that time felt about certain things...but when you start changing elements of the past every time you get better equipment or a new release is better....or all of a sudden you now like the content..it's no longer a reflection of the time period in question....and for me it dilutes the value of the vote itself if you can change it for any reason...it becomes more of a suggestion than a vote...but I still can't understand why people would worry about their vote on a surround poll from years ago...it's not like they are righting some terrible wrong...it's kind of extreme to worry about a 10 you gave 7 years ago that you want to change to a 7 or 8 or whatever....it's not a contest...it's ok to make mistakes..it is part of being human...I've made plenty on here...and I laugh about them and learn from them...I don't try to re-write the past..you could do what others have done...just make the comments about the newer better release on the poll WITHOUT changing the numbers...others have done this and it works fines.....anyway...that's all I have to say about this..it appears that it's going to be done regardless of what I say...I'm just passionate about these polls...it's the main reason I joined this forum..I wanted to be part of the poll process...

Here is my take on the topic: many members, myself included, rely on the polls for collection-building and potential enjoyment of a release.
As such, I would certainly appreciate it if the numbers are as accurate as possible. Accurate in the sense of reflecting what members really think.

Sometimes excitement can cause us to whip out a score that seems a little high in retrospect. Or, as has been mentioned, a better mix might come out.

To me, musicality is the most important part of any release - e.g. I can enjoy mono of appealing content that sounds awesome, but there are some surround releases I am sure I'll never listen to again, because of the mix, the content or the sonics. Content-wise, I can see members "warming up" to a release and voting more favorably in the future.

Even if it were to hurt my own album's rating, I'm in favor of the change your vote capability.

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
The QQ Polls are pretty much a nice little miracle in that I started them back when, 2005?, mostly as a whim to highlight new releases. I had no idea that they would grow to be such an important part of the forum. I remember I origianlly kept them private for a month, then changed them so we could see who voted, because I did not want other peoples votes to influence their vote.

I totally understand where Clint is coming from, and I also understand why someone might want to change a vote. With vB, changing a vote required me to modify the database. XenForo makes this fairly easy and up to each person.

I want to hear more from you before we make or don't make a change. I want this to be a community, and no matter what we do, I don't want people annoyed, pissed, or irritated to the point of getting mad. I really appreciate hearing what you all think.

4-earredwonder

I really never relied on POLLS to temper my enjoyment and/or purchase of a particular album. For some, they're gods but to me they've always been subjective and without any sort of reason why you liked or disliked the album in the first place as I've always been somewhat of an 'essayist....' as in why did you like or dislike a certain album....when you posited your NUMERICAL vote.

A 10 to me has always been reserved for classic albums but that term can also be deceiving as what is CLASSIC to some may be anathema to others. And since this forum has mostly been reserved for Rock 'n Roll, any posters who also enjoy Jazz, Classical and World music have been, IMO, shortchanged because there are some brilliant Jazz, Classical and world albums which are simply not represented over at QQ and some have had multichannel releases.

But for me, the option of changing a vote IS democratic because tastes DO change, systems do get better allowing one to hear the music in a different light and in the end NO ONE is forcing your arm to alter your original vote if you simply don't want to.

Since I had room correction professionally done in my main system, I am hearing things I never heard before and in going back to my older DVD~A/SACD collection and even my RBCD collection, I have altered my opinions GREATLY and would like to express my opinions by changing some of those numbers but then again.....the numbers to me are only a small indication of why I like or dislike albums and as some posters CORRECTLY pointed out.....when a new, much anticipated album is released in surround.....somehow bestowing a low score makes one feel alienated or unpopular [read: uncool] because it simply doesn't strike them in the same guttural way.

Last edited:

rusinurbe

I wonder how many on here that want this change would go back in time and change votes...not just adjust current votes...go back in time....rusinurbe hinted at something(if I understand it correctly)that is one of my concerns...his statement "where my enthusiasm in the past is tempered by what has since been released"..so I could be misunderstanding his post...or let's just forget about his post...what if others decided to compare older surround titles with newer titles that didn't even exist back when the original votes were cast....in some ways that would be like comparing an older car with outdated electronics to a modern car with a host of technical advantages when the future car wasn't even built yet...what was a 10 years ago is now a 9...until the newest title comes out that is even better so now it becomes an 8

Although I don't think it's necessary...I can see this feature being "OK" for a brief period of time for CURRENT voting...maybe a few days or a week...but to go back years to change a vote is just wrong...IMO
Good argument what was once cutting edge os now outdated but as a snapshot of opinion at the time it's valid.

So let's keep Snood ?

skherbeck

I’m against changing votes. You can always go back and comment on how your perception of the album has changed. I don’t think changing a vote based on an album’s ranking in the polls should be an option; IMO all votes should be based on subjective listening. I agree with the idea that this creates “revisionist history”... I don’t like it in society or politics, And I don’t want it in the polls ?

Circular Vibes

800 Club - QQ All Star
I think I'd only feel comfortable with changing votes once with explanation requested for clarity. How would this affect the Hit Parade lists of the best made over the years? For the record, pun not intended, I voted for Where's my dancing bananas, but had a hard time resisting the obvious 2nd choice of Don't ban Snood. I won't change my vote, but my 2nd choice was a VERY close 2nd. Still getting used to the new software, so won't say any more except, I want my nanners.

Mike the Fish

Yes please. I think it's a great idea. As I hear more surround mixes (and/or hear ones I already own on an upgraded system) I get more of a scale of what's good for me and what isn't.

Last edited: