New Pop/Soul/Jazz Surround SACDs - Billy Paul, Chase, George Benson, Weather Report (Sept 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and and Mrs. Jones was the only Billy Paul song I knew.
Thankfully both albums on the two-fer are available from youtube in their entirety.
Though I don’t like absolutely everything (his version of Your Song for example) there is more than enough great music on these two albums to make the purchase a no brainer.
Too bad it’s more expensive than the typical DV disc but if that’s what it takes to get this stuff released them I’m good with it.

afaik the increased list price on the Billy Paul studio 2-fer of "360 Degrees Of.." & "War Of The Gods" is due to the package containing 2 x SACD discs.

Tell me again that surround is dead? With all these titles coming out, the banks should be giving out special loans specifically to fund surround sound collections. Geez, I'm still trying to catch up on stuff that was released months ago.

Very true. We're getting new Surround Sound DSD titles pretty much every week these days. :)

afaik the increased list price on the Billy Paul studio 2-fer of "360 Degrees Of.." & "War Of The Gods" is due to the package containing 2 x SACD discs.
That would be nice, if the music lasts more than 80 minutes. I went for it regardless. The twofers have been such a good bargain, I'm happy to support the D-V cause at the occasional higher price.

Nothing here really grabs my attention, but Chase sounds mildly interesting - I'd never heard of them before but sounds like it could be fun, especially since the lady is a fan of trumpets.

It's been on my QUAD desert Island list FOREVER and finally both albums are available as a D~V two~fer. Highly Recommended. The QUADness is outrageously frenetic!

The Chase is OVER!

Didn’t realize this was a 2 disc set, I assumed it was a single disc like the other two-fers

I'm just noticing it myself. Not a problem at all! This price is still a bargain compared to tracking down Q8s. I was ready to pull the trigger on a copy of the 360 Degrees Q8 from discogs for like $50. This is certainly a much better alternative...

I was just revisiting War Of The Gods this morning and damn, what a mix. It opens with some real psychedelic rapid keyboard panning that'll surely get your attention!

Shipping notification just arrived for my order. Pretty fast I placed my order Sunday afternoon here but I guess it's Monday morning in Watford. Skipped the Billy Paul live and added the second volume of Beethoven piano concertos. Listened to my SQ album of Body Talk a few times was going to skip it then caved and ordered it. Although it's light jazz the muscianship is excellent and it grew on me. The CTI album has great Sonics.

There are some nice guitar segments on that one(y)

Great news, I wasn't expecting "Chase". Sometime ago Quad Linda pointed out the availability of an SQ encoded Blu-spec CD of "Pure Music" available from Japan. I purchased that disc but it turns out to be the stereo mix, also it's a victim of the loudness wars, brickwalled and clipped, very disappointing. "Open Up Wide" from "Chase" was always the track that the audio press would refer to when demonstrating SQ decoding, the discrete version should be amazing! Yesterday I cut my order for all five DV new releases.

Back