New speaker cables!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
1069972_603030349737806_1698003840_n.jpg

Meine lautsprecherkabeln:

1. Belden 10AWG
2. Gold plated spades, bananas where space a premium (surrounds).
3. High silver solder.

Are they worth $2000, you bet, I fabrikated them.

Oh yes, and I misplaced the disclamer that came with the butane torch:)

I find it most amusing when you hear about someone who bought something like that talking about the break in period for the wire. o_Oo_Oo_O
It’s all above my head and outside of my wallet, I have those 4 end banana plug speaker wires but I did it myself by hand, not easy but it was like $200.00. I think if a person is that rich i wonder if they enjoy the hobby as much as we do, because we can always dream and wish, they can’t.

about 10 years ago I had the opportunity to try some Tara Labs speaker wire and I had a Macintosh C32 preamp that allowed you to take the left and right channels and switch them all over to the left Channel or take the left and right Channel and switch them to the right Channel so that you maintained all of the signal. My son and I replaced the right channel wire with the Tara labs and kept the cheap speaker wire on the Left speaker. we placed the left and right speakers side by side and then got back 17ft to the listening position and compared the left and right channels by switching the selector switch. We did hear a pretty drastic difference. So my wife and daughter came in from shopping and I had them listen to the two speakers not telling them what we had done and both of them immediately asked what was wrong with the one speaker. How I read about a guy who was offering $1000000 to anyone who could prove that there was a difference in speaker cables I wish I could have had him in the room....lol
So I still have all Tara Labs speaker wire but it is because I ended up buying a whole roll at wholesale price. the speakers or final transducer as we would call it are still 90% of your total sound quality. No matter what tweaks that you do to your system it still has the goal of making your system a better reproducer of music.

If you have 17ft listening distances , I'm guessing the speaker wire runs are fairly long. In that case a too thin gauge ( say, 22g or 18g) vs a thicker gauge (say, 14g or 12g) conceivably could make an audible difference. But it's nothing to do with the price or make of the cable, it's just ohm's law as it impacts frequency response, and certainly no need to pay boutique cable prices to get a thicker gauge. You can buy 14g by the foot quite cheaply at your local home center.

Aside from that : comparison was very not blind. That $1 mill prize -- presumably James Randi's -- would have required the test be double blind, and using cables of adequate gauge that don't have any funny little mystery boxes attached to them in-line, as some 'high end' cables do.

Joni Mitchell wrote a song about these people. It's called Raised On Robbery. It comes in Quad too!

Raised on Robbery if you're not fussy. I won't even post what I paid for my 35' runs of balanced XLR garden hose sized Transparent Speaker cables and interconnects back in the late 90's and I could've had then upgraded since Transparent would've done it for FREE [huh!] but digging them out of my ceiling was way too much trouble. Suffice it to say, you could've bought a Mercedes for what I did pay. How do they sound in 2018 ....... extraordinary!

Do quality speaker cables and interconnects make a difference? ...... if you need to ask and are happy with plain vanilla zip cord then SHAME ON YOU! You have NO idea what you're missing.

BTW, you could probably get the same bang for the buck that I did in the late 90's for a fraction of MY cost as technological advances have reduced the cost of these cables/interconnects CONSIDERABLY.

Last edited:
about 10 years ago I had the opportunity to try some Tara Labs speaker wire and I had a Macintosh C32 preamp that allowed you to take the left and right channels and switch them all over to the left Channel or take the left and right Channel and switch them to the right Channel so that you maintained all of the signal. My son and I replaced the right channel wire with the Tara labs and kept the cheap speaker wire on the Left speaker. we placed the left and right speakers side by side and then got back 17ft to the listening position and compared the left and right channels by switching the selector switch. We did hear a pretty drastic difference. So my wife and daughter came in from shopping and I had them listen to the two speakers not telling them what we had done and both of them immediately asked what was wrong with the one speaker. How I read about a guy who was offering $1000000 to anyone who could prove that there was a difference in speaker cables I wish I could have had him in the room....lol
So I still have all Tara Labs speaker wire but it is because I ended up buying a whole roll at wholesale price. the speakers or final transducer as we would call it are still 90% of your total sound quality. No matter what tweaks that you do to your system it still has the goal of making your system a better reproducer of music.

When you have separate components like I do, trying different speaker cables and interconnects is savvy and in your case, paid off in more than an incremental upgrade. When higher end audio salons flourished in the late 90's and early 00's, one was able to try different speaker cables/interconnects in one's system as loaners so that you could decide what worked or didn't. And often, the results were revelatory.

Unfortunately, a lot of red ink has been {IMO} wasted on articles descrying such upgrades as snake oil and a total waste of money....which is sad because it discouraged a LOT of prospective buyers from EVEN trying better speaker wire and interconnects in their systems. Because Monster Cable was heavily advertised and extolled as 'state of the art' a lot of purchasers settled on that brand as KING but after trying various brands of Monster Cable, I can tell you firsthand...they were MEDIOCRE, at best.

I have long been a proponent of upgraded Power Cables and Power Conditioners as CREDIBLE upgrades and with companies like Music Direct allowing one to try FREE for 60 days various cables/conditioners in their system to make an evaluation, I'm shocked a lot of buyers don't take advantage of this risk free 'possible' solution to make their systems operate at peak.

MOST ironically, thousands are spent every year on expensive box sets and surround reissues disregarding the possibility that spending more on upgrades to one's system is a total waste of money. And people that decry such upgrades, without EVER trying them firsthand are annoying and as far as I'm concerned IN THE DARK.

If you're REALLY happy with your dime store zip cord speaker wire and equally dime store interconnects....then fine and dandy. But you're really depriving yourselves of credibly CANNY upgrades which will make your system operate at peak.

Sometimes Ignorance isn't bliss....it's just IGNORANCE! Never heard the Expression: Try it....[to paraphrase] YOU JUST MIGHT LIKE IT?

Last edited:
I went to a guy's house last year that I befriended on another forum to hear his megabucks system. He had 150k in cables, yep you read that right. First thing that I asked was, "did all this eliminate noise?", so he told me to put my ear up against the midrange and tweeter, to which it was dead silent and he motioned to me showing me that the volume control was all the way up. It was one of the best sounding systems I have ever heard. He said his goal has always been about the music, and whatever it takes to get the best fidelity necessary to enjoy the music, then money is no concern. He had over 9,000 cd's of music and a 23K dollar cd player. I thought it was worth every penny of HIS money.

I went to a guy's house last year that I befriended on another forum to hear his megabucks system. He had 150k in cables, yep you read that right. First thing that I asked was, "did all this eliminate noise?", so he told me to put my ear up against the midrange and tweeter, to which it was dead silent and he motioned to me showing me that the volume control was all the way up. It was one of the best sounding systems I have ever heard. He said his goal has always been about the music, and whatever it takes to get the best fidelity necessary to enjoy the music, then money is no concern. He had over 9,000 cd's of music and a 23K dollar cd player. I thought it was worth every penny of HIS money.

Holy Shite only if I won the lottery with money to burn would I even do something so illogical.Thats what I think as a slightly smart individual the sound quality wouldn't be that much better. And I've heard very good systems I know that we're in the 10k range (cardiologist in Ann Arbor, Mi.) Very nice vinyl and surround sound (sold him some of my duplicates) but not that much better than my system.

Back