New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading through all your comments we're going to go ahead with the below choices.
- Countersunk socket screws for the front, we'll use good stainless steel fasteners ;)
- Pots will be laid out in the more intuitive 4 channel
Hi Chris - thanks - all looking good!

Darn, now that I have read all the posts on here, I think I will hold off and get this one instead of the older model. This one is one great design.

Hi. hobie1dog

I'm afraid that the old SM is out of stock so the new one is all there is, but its going to be a great upgrade mark 2 Version..

Hi. hobie1dog

I'm afraid that the old SM is out of stock so the new one is all there is, but its going to be a great upgrade mark 2 Version..
Dave was going to put together a unit for me, but this thread convinced me to be patient and wait 4 more months for the new one to come out. I put back 500.00 in an envelope and put it in the Lp/ Cassette cabinet today.

Are you getting one Adam? :whistle:

nah.. load of old shit innit! :p
you bet your life i am..!!! i just need the labels to stop putting out box sets full of crap to get mostly dubious quality 5.1 mixes that i just can't resist buying.. and I should have enough cash together for one for.. ohh.. my 85th birthday! :ROFLMAO:

So I might have missed it in one of the threads about the unit but have you guyz determined how much separation is achieved from a stereo source ie: Variomatrix unmodified gets 35 db's of separation front to back and so on in the 01 and stand alone Sansui units?

So I might have missed it in one of the threads about the unit but have you guyz determined how much separation is achieved from a stereo source ie: Variomatrix unmodified gets 35 db's of separation front to back and so on in the 01 and stand alone Sansui units?

Hi Quadanasaziland

Yes you will get full separation. Please note that typically the Sansui actually achieved around 25 dB of separation due to the tolerance limitations of analogue componentry. In addition we have found in blind tests with several test monkeys that beyond 12 dB (a magic number as it turns out) any differences are not detectable. Yes I know the mythology was 20 dB and in recent years with CD's the expectation is 100 dB!

I have attached a bunch of tests that we did a few years ago

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• QS tests Feb 2013 R3.pdf
    368.6 KB · Views: 109
  • SQ Q4 Vinyl results.jpg
    SQ Q4 Vinyl results.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Surround Master Involve Proper.pdf
    612 KB · Views: 111
  • iNTELLIGENT-INVOLVE-separation-table2-converted.pdf
    14.5 KB · Views: 112
Hi Quadanasaziland

Yes you will get full separation. Please note that typically the Sansui actually achieved around 25 dB of separation due to the tolerance limitations of analogue componentry. In addition we have found in blind tests with several test monkeys that beyond 12 dB (a magic number as it turns out) any differences are not detectable. Yes I know the mythology was 20 dB and in recent years with CD's the expectation is 100 dB!

I have attached a bunch of tests that we did a few years ago

Regards

Chucky
Thanx for the great info!

The excitement is mounting!.....

indeed! bills are mounting too! how this hobby hasn't bankrupted me after all these years, i'll never know! :ROFLMAO:

a quick question (not a deal breaker just curious) for chucky3042
will this incarnation of the SM have the ability to mono-ize the Rears and cancel out Front to Rear bled vocals in SQ decoded material?
tia! (y)

indeed! bills are mounting too! how this hobby hasn't bankrupted me after all these years, i'll never know! :ROFLMAO:

a quick question (not a deal breaker just curious) for chucky3042
will this incarnation of the SM have the ability to mono-ize the Rears and cancel out Front to Rear bled vocals in SQ decoded material?
tia! (y)

Hi Fredblue

The aim of our SQ SM was as a favour to this great forum of surround nutters, we wanted to be as faithful to the SQ matrix specifications as possible - or we would get the wrath of a certain banned member! As such no blend facility was incorporated. Indeed many SQ devoted types would not want the mono rear blend, so an additional switch to opt it in and out would be needed. I am prepared to consider it as a menu driven feature of the full Involve pre amplifier.

Chatting to Dave the Bitch (Overture) he said we did not get much rear front/ rear bleed in the development.

Regards

It's tough seeing that envelope sitting there with the $500 in it and knowing it's going to be 3-4 months before we can see the product. Are you going to be ready for NAMM chucky?

Back