New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's tough seeing that envelope sitting there with the $500 in it and knowing it's going to be 3-4 months before we can see the product. Are you going to be ready for NAMM chucky?

It will be desperate as we are also showing our as yet not made electrostatic studio monitor speakers but we will get there!

In various posts in this section, it's been mentioned that more than 12dB
channel separation is just a numbers game.

I suggest a 12dB maximum separation decode mode optimized for
minimum logic action audibility for the new decoder in addition to the
high separation decode mode.

IIRC, one (mid-1970s) magazine review of the SQ LP Edgar Winter:
They Only Come Out at Night mentioned an audible "power struggle"
in the LB and RB channels as the logic system tried to determine,
moment by moment, which channel had the most encoded information.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Hi

Good observation but I can assure you there will be no audible benefits in regards to pumping, smearing etc as we really have taken many steps to avoid this. As I mentioned in previous posts we really are not into a numbers "pissing contest" - for the 12 db reason but having said that there really is an expectation of 20 dB + in the surround customers. If we wanted to we could get over 60 dB of separation but you would hear some artefacts.

To lock in the separation all around to 12 dB it is best done at the encode matrix by changing the 0.41 parameter to 0.21, the the stereo mix has 12 dB separation and so does the decode.

Regards

Chucky

In various posts in this section, it's been mentioned that more than 12dB
channel separation is just a numbers game.

I suggest a 12dB maximum separation decode mode optimized for
minimum logic action audibility for the new decoder in addition to the
high separation decode mode.

IIRC, one (mid-1970s) magazine review of the SQ LP Edgar Winter:
They Only Come Out at Night mentioned an audible "power struggle"
in the LB and RB channels as the logic system tried to determine,
moment by moment, which channel had the most encoded information.

Kirk Bayne

Dear Surround extremists

Finally some touchy feely stuff on the new super surround master. Here are the actual front and back panels of the new box. The circuit boards are in production (just 5 proto's ) and I should have them just before Xmas, we will come in over the holiday to get it working as we will be demoing it in the NAMM show in January in LA.

Its really happening!!!!
20181207_133048.jpeg

This is probably as good a thread to ask this question.....but as a plain music surround sound fan with no professional connection to the music industry is it worth my while or do I qualify to attend the NAMM show in January?
I've looked online and it seems you can apply for a general attendance badge. I would only want to go for one day say hello to the Involve guys and look around......

This is probably as good a thread to ask this question.....but as a plain music surround sound fan with no professional connection to the music industry is it worth my while or do I qualify to attend the NAMM show in January?
I've looked online and it seems you can apply for a general attendance badge. I would only want to go for one day say hello to the Involve guys and look around......

I think its just for industry types BUT I am sure if you email me direct I should be able to get you a pass

[email protected]

I would really love to meet more QQ members, so far all I know personally is Dwight and Rustyandi. Actually I blame you guys for being to cheap and lazy to fly to the other side of the world.

And furthermore............

Yay the front panel boards have been made (except the pots and pots and switched that we will install), they will be in Australia in a few days time! Now waiting for main board.

Attachments

• 1(1).jpg
    1(1).jpg
    636 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 201
Back