New to Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwebb

I had Quad 8 track tapes back in the 70s and I am restoring my family's 1978 Lincoln with a Quad 8 track player so I have been collecting some 8 track tapes. I have also purchased an Quad 8 track home player to be able to listen at home and test tapes as necessary. I also purchase a quad 8 track recorder. Now I am not sure why I purchased the recorder as I don't have any quad sources to record. I was considering getting a Quad reel to reel but there does not seem to be much reel to reel product available. I was wondering if anybody would have any suggestions on how I could utilized the recorder and how I might expand my Quad abilities.

The only way to get quad tapes these days with any frequency is via eBay. It's hit or miss. You have to assume that any Q8 you buy will have to be opened, checked, and "revitalized" with a new foil splice and pad (if it's a cartridge with a pad).

There are quite a few posts here about doing this revitalization, and many here than can assist with tips and links to supply sources. The eBay prices on many Q8's are fairly low, at least lower than the 2000's when it was a free for all.

Sometimes forum members weed out their collection and you might find some around here. Reels are a different story. Expensive players that are all old and might need some real work, and of course, 40 year old tapes that again could be great, could be unplayable, or could even be copies put back in a box and sold as legit.

I would suggest getting some foil splices, some WinGibs, and buy a few Q8's off of eBay and start there.

You can get Quad tapes from Discogs , 8 TRACK SHACK , 8 TRACK HEAVEN sites. Also ebay sites from around the world.
To use the recorder , you can set up a quad receiver and compatible turntable set up for quad playback (you can find info on this site). Record quad records (ebay, discogs, even amazon) through quad receiver to your quad recorder. I have purchased blank quad tapes on ebay (not expensive , but that can be relative) The reel to reel tapes are on the high side . BUT , discrete tapes (8 track / r to r ) are the best quad sound in my opinion.

If you are doing this just for the car resto , then I would stick to restored factory tapes. They can be had at the sites I mentioned. Otherwise you will end up with a lot of hardware , records , tapes ,etc. Believe me , I know. I have probably around a thousand quad records ,200 8 track tapes, 10 reel to reels, . Hardware : 15+- turntables, complete set of Sansui QRX 001 series receivers, five Akai 280-D SS reel to reel decks, two Akai CR-80D-SS 8 track recorder/players, a Sansui SD 5050 reel to reel, Tate Fosgate TATEII decoder , and a garage full of speakers , mostly Sansui. WEW!!

Back