New to this board.....Free Surround Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLIM

I was wondering why computer based surround formats aren't really discussed on this board....there are a growing number of musicians working in surround and giving away their music for free.....

:banana: ---------Shameless Plug Warning------------:banana:

Some of my free electronic surround music in Windows Media format....

Yogurt Head - Surrounded By Enzymes Mix

Dilemma - Which Ear? 5.1 In Your Ear Edit

Vicissitude - 5.1 Ad Hoc Mutation Edit

Imbroglio - 5point1 Edit

Quandary (5.1 Confusion Edit)

Incompatible Bit Rate (Aural LSD Edit)

NEW Exigency - Revolved

NEW Jerry - The Stepmother Killer

NEW Irresolution - Cubicle of Sound Edit

Last edited:
I know that this music isn't for everyone....but if you really do enjoy it, I plan on creating a DVD-A (on DVD-R) with remixed / remastered material + some new surround tracks that I will provide for free if you truly dig the music.

I'm not expecting this to be done until spring.....having a 2 year old at home takes away from time with hobbies :D

When you say computer-based surround formats, you are talking about an audio file, and not so much electronic-based music, correct?

What I would recommend is that you release it first, although you did make a good start by having these songs made available. For a lot of fans and collectors of surround sound, if it's not the real thing or in a lossless format, they probably would not want to hear something, especially if it's lossy and over computer speakers.

I myself have been wanting to do a few songs in 5.1, and now with a bit of label interest, I may be able to do that next year. If you have a CD out, I wouldn't mind reviewing it for my column.(y)

Anything new in surround is always welcome! :D

johmbolayaSQ said:
When you say computer-based surround formats, you are talking about an audio file, and not so much electronic-based music, correct?

Correctamundo!! I think that disc-based surround music is on its last legs.....but I think that downloadable surround content is on the rise and will be the future....especially with "Media" computers starting to show up in peoples rigs.

I too, hate lossy compressed formats, but I only have limited space available on the site I post my music (plus I have like a 20 meg song limit....which sucks!!!!)...until I can find someplace that is willing to give me the space plus adequate traffic allowances, I gues I'm stuck using lossy compression for the web. Hopefully I'll find a place where I can have lossless encoded WMAs or FLACs posted...and not have to worry about running out of server space or exceding my bandwidth limits.....

Lossless compression rocks!!!!!!!! :D

As far as a CD out to review....I only give out CD-Rs of my music.....I can't justify spending the cash on having discs replicated and trying to market my material. I tried to sell DVD-Rs and CD-Rs, but it is pointless....I'd rather just get my music into peoples' hands and give the stuff away...hopefully someone will enjoy it.

You know I would love to listen to this stuff in 5.1 but I have never been able to play a WMA 5.1 file. I can't figure out how to get it through my sound card. I am able to pass DTS, Dolby 5.1 and have 6 analogs out but can't figure out how to get Windows Media Player set up to play anything other than a DTS wav through the Spdif.

Assuming that the have the proper soundcard and Windows XP....

Here is a link on how to configure your computer to play back surround files using Windows Media Player 9 on Windows XP. This guide will also work for Media Player 10 as well.

Surround Sound with Windows Media Player 9 Series

You can also use the latest version of WinAmp (Version 5.11) to play back surround via the analog outputs on your soundcard as well.

Please post your system config so I can help......including computer specs and audio gear....I'm more than willing to help anyone when it comes to surround sound playback via a computer.:smokin

I am using a Terratec Phase 88 card. It will pass through DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 and I have it set to do 6 channels of analog out to an amp. I have my Windows Media 10 player set to 5.1 speakers even though I have no physical speakers hooked to the soundcard. Everything must go through my amp either by SPDif or analog. I am running WinXP Professional with SP2 installed. Windows Media Player will pass through DTS just fine. I think the problem may be that I can only choose SPDIF or any two of the analog channels. I did listen to the demos in stereo and I like what I hear.

Ahhh...it sounds like the same problem I had...damn pro sound cards......no direct sound 2.0 drivers for your soundcard....with some cards, you can select a "multichannel" driver for Windows sounds that would allow you to playback using all 8 of the analog channels on your card.....thus giving you the ability to playback 5.1 via Windows Media Player 9 or any other player that uses Direct sound 2.0 "multichannel" drivers.

There is hope!!!!! Foobar2000 is the player that will give you that functionality with a pro card!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

It took a ton of digging through the web to find a player that would allow me to use the analog outputs of my RME card via a ASIO.

Thread on a different board where I rejoiced in my findings

Not only can you use the analog outputs of the card....there is a plugin that will allow you to do bass management.

Shoot me an e-mail if you are intersted......foobar2000 is a little tough to set up...but I can send my config to use....minor tweaks, and you're good to go!

My e-mail [email protected]

KLIM said:
Ahhh...it sounds like the same problem I had...damn pro sound cards......no direct sound 2.0 drivers for your soundcard....with some cards, you can select a "multichannel" driver for Windows sounds that would allow you to playback using all 8 of the analog channels on your card.....thus giving you the ability to playback 5.1 via Windows Media Player 9 or any other player that uses Direct sound 2.0 "multichannel" drivers.

There is hope!!!!! Foobar2000 is the player that will give you that functionality with a pro card!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

It took a ton of digging through the web to find a player that would allow me to use the analog outputs of my RME card via a ASIO.

Thread on a different board where I rejoiced in my findings

Not only can you use the analog outputs of the card....there is a plugin that will allow you to do bass management.

Shoot me an e-mail if you are intersted......foobar2000 is a little tough to set up...but I can send my config to use....minor tweaks, and you're good to go!

My e-mail [email protected]

I just downloaded and installed Foobar2000 All I need is the correct settings now...

Hey KLIM, welcome to the board! I checked out a your 5.1 cuts and they are very cool! All of the cuts are very well crafted and the surround mixes are tastefully done. I really like all the dance/techno/house stuff whether it's dark/light/poppy or whatever; anything with a good groove and all your stuff has a really good groove (I especially liked "Incompatible Bit Rate").

Let me know when you've got a disc of surround material ready. I would definitely like a copy! (y)

BTW, I found this link on Acid Planet. It is a list of all AP members who have 5.1 samples of their work. Very interesting! I never knew such a resource existed. It seems there is a thriving underground for modern surround-sound music. Perhaps there is still hope!

5.1 Surround Sound

These 3 came as 192 kps stereo mp3s. There must be a mixup at acidplanet.

Incompatible Bit Rate

btw, I've found a way to convert these to DTS if people are interested. Of course it's a lossy recompression of a lossy file (oh, and it's a bit of a pain in the ass)... but it's easier than moving my computer to the other room to connect to my receiver - though I'd bet my 2 year old would be more than happy to help with the wires :eek:

I've converted the other files and will have a listen in the next day or two. Thanks for posting your work!

BananaSlug said:
These 3 came as 192 kps stereo mp3s. There must be a mixup at acidplanet.

Incompatible Bit Rate

btw, I've found a way to convert these to DTS if people are interested. Of course it's a lossy recompression of a lossy file (oh, and it's a bit of a pain in the ass)... but it's easier than moving my computer to the other room to connect to my receiver - though I'd bet my 2 year old would be more than happy to help with the wires :eek:

I've converted the other files and will have a listen in the next day or two. Thanks for posting your work!

I uploaded mp3 versions of the tracks to prevent people on AcidPlanet from DLing the files (I once thought that maybe I should try to make money on my music.....pretty stupid idea:eek: )....but I'm going to change this now.....you will be able to DL the tracks very soon.....they do stream in surround as they stream the wma files. I'll add another post confirming when the files are available for DL.

FYI - If someone has a ton of server space they are willing to donate, I will post my files in lossless format so they can be heard in all of their 24bit / 48k multichannel glory.

BananaSlug - I feel your pain......my soon to be 2 year (Jan. 9th) old loves plugging things my patchbay....I'm getting her started early.

I removed the mp3 files...so they can all be DL'd at will!!!!

I also changed the song titles for all surround tracks by adding a "5.1 - " prefix to signify it is a surround file. Most of my tracks are actually 5.0, but I don't want to confuse people on AcidPlanet.

Very well done music, I have to agree with the earlier opinion - Incompatible Bit Rate is my favorite as well. All of the surround mixes are very well done and great fun to listen to. It has got to be good for surround music that musicians can create and mix music of this quality at home and share it over the internet. Keep up the good work!

However, I can't recommend uncompressing and converting to DTS, the sound quality was poor. Uncompressing and authoring to DVD-A might be worth trying.

BananaSlug said:
However, I can't recommend uncompressing and converting to DTS, the sound quality was poor. Uncompressing and authoring to DVD-A might be worth trying.

I would guess that would be the case. The files are fairly lo-fi at 384k, but I don't really have any other choice. I have to make sure I don't hit my file size limit on that site. As I stated before...If anyone has some space and bandwidth they would like to donate, I'll post my music in lossless WMA or FLAC files.

......or just wait until I get my DVD-A put together.:D

KLIM said:
The files are fairly lo-fi at 384k, but I don't really have any other choice. I have to make sure I don't hit my file size limit on that site.

......or just wait until I get my DVD-A put together.:D

No problem, I knew that going in.

I just spent some holiday gift money on a set of 5.1 speakers for the computer - arriving next week. That will make life much easier and give me more time to sample what's out there. I'll have to look into the whole .wma 5.1 thing, but it looks like since 128 x 3 = 384 that the files are equivalent to a 128kps mp3 in quality?

I look forward to your DVD-A, but I really do understand how long it will take with the help of a 2 year old.

I just finished my latest suround mix. It only took AcidPlanet to have a 5.1 mix competition for me to get off my butt and finish something I started months ago. I think this is my most interesting and active surround mix to date.

NEW Exigency - Revolved

Please feel free to send this link on to other surround fans and solicit opinions. All feedback accepted...you won't hurt my feelings!

I am sure glad this contest on Acid Planet came around....I am working on remixing older tracks that I wanted to do in surround, but I only had time to finish the stereo mix.

NEW Jerry - The Stepmother Killer

This is more noise than music with a very interesting (and heavily manipulated) sample from the Prelinger Archives. I edited the sample to make it sound like Jerry was killing his stepmother, but that was not the real story portrayed in the movie

FYI....not really child friendly, so make sure that the kiddies are in bed before listening.

As always, any feedback on this, and/or any of my other tracks, is always welcome.

Back