NOSOUND: Lightdark reissue, first time also in 5.1 (dvd-a!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosound

QQ Supporter
Hi all,

a few months after the release of new album Afterthoughts in dvd-a, that's the time we needed to rest a bit and then go back in studio and work on a very special reissue. The sales of Afterthoughts cd+dvd-a were very encouraging, as well it was the support from this forum in terms of help during authoring, testing, and then getting and commenting on the actual product.

This made possible thinking forward with Kscope, and working on a reissue that was waiting to be properly remastered, first time on 180gr vinyl, and most of all first time in high resolution and surround..another dvd-a is arriving from Nosound! (stereo pcm 24/48, Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1 (1.5 mbps) and MLP 5.1 24/48)

The first test disc is ready and a few fellow members here already offered to help and test it on different players, to make it perfect and avoid the manual next-track skip needed for some players :)

photo 2 th.jpg

For this special reissue I went back to original projects for an analog remaster, dedicated vinyl mix, and completely new surround and hires mixes...another Nosound release in surround, and I have to say another one I'm very proud of, surround sound gave back to this music a new life and feeling!

I'll post updates and details during the process..it's great to be back here :)

G

Looking forward to hear this one..... in surround!!! :banana:

Hi all and thanks :)

First tests arrived incredibly fast and detailed in less than 24h, very encouraging, already useful to make a few things here and there work better! Full weekend at work for mastering more of the surround...I'm truly enjoying this, being an album we played also live several times (original release was 2008), this surround remixing is really giving me ability to 'update' these songs to what's Nosound today, still trying to keep the original sonic 'character' that was always part of the album.

It also looks like we'll prepare something special in terms of packaging...that's the beauty of working hard with a label like Kscope, they're the best and they really listen to their artists (me!) and to their customers (you!)..a great and redesigned digibook format is almost confirmed!

G

If there's anyone with an Oppo83 player wishing to help with some test, please drop me a PM :)

By the way just yesterday I finally officially opened my studio to other bands and projects, targeting in particular the production/mixing/mastering for high resolution, vinyl and surround. To the mods: is this something that could be interesting for the forum and if so is there a section of the form where is appropiate to post? I received a few requests over time, and I'd happily help other bands getting surround mixes and ready to go files for dvd-v and dvd-a formats.

A quick update!

The help from this forum as usual is fantastic, and the decision to move to dvd-a with new album Afterthoughts was really worth it and will continue also after Lightdark...music in high resolution surround, this music in particular, is whole different story.

Early tests from several of you, including a few Oppo83, produced inredibly useful results that saved me lots of time. Small problems here and there all fixed, also the bug of Oppo83 that was present with Afterthoughts. I'm preparing/testing just now the final disc image..a whopping 7gb dual layer disc full of every possible format for a total of almost 80 minutes of music plus two videos, including one with surround as well.

Will be back to testers and will wait for the other tests to be sure I amended all problems..so that this time the authoring will not detract from enjoying the music, that in the end is the real important thing :)

The enthusiastic comments I received about the mixes of the few songs in the test disc (and they were still not finalised!) tell me I'm not the only one feeling this is a special album for surround...

Thank you Robert, and thanks again to all people here..this time the testing and help was really overwhelming..never expected so much support!

Good news is that testing on Oppo83 as well was ok, and the dvda is packed with more than 70 minutes of 5.1 24/48 music (plus DTS high quality, Dolby and Stereo PCM, and two videos with one in 5.1), and I cannot wait for it to be out.

I hope it will make Kscope happy again like Afterthoughts...they trusted me again and spent more even it was 'only' a reissue making it as special as a new release. Soon next week we'll launch promo website with downloads including 5.1 :)

Nosound - Lightdark 2013 (25th November)

preorders are open from now http://store.nosound.net

On the new promo website http://www.lightdark.net you can download free track 'Kites' in FLAC 24/48 stereo & surround!

First batch of orders of the bundle cd/dvd-a and vinyl and vinyl alone will get a free signed A4 litho artprint. The album is available in cd (remastered) & dvd-a/v rigid digibook containing also 24/48 stereo and surround mixes (never released before), two extra video contents including Kites video in surround. It's also available in limited double white vinyl 180gr, and a bundle of the two formats to save a few pounds :)

Looking forward for your comments about the free downloads and the whole thing later...one of the surround mixes I enjoyed the most till now!

KSCOPE850-bundle.jpg

Ordered! CD/DVD-A though, so no free print, but really looking forward to hearing the 5.1 mix :)

P.S. Love the microsite :)

Ordered!

Looking forward to hearing the whole of the album in 5.1, the tracks I tested I loved - especially the Cello!

Thanks Duncan, yes in this new mixes I wanted the cello to get back its more prominent place and sound in the soundfield...Marianne is now a stable member of the band, and although we recorded those cellos with a very basic portable Pro Tools rig with one mic in New York at friends place, the character was beautiful enough to be more 'clear' in the mix :)

And as usual the surround helps a lot allowing distribution of instrument and sources in a musical way around where they belong in my head, leaving the main instruments free to express all their freqs and nuances.

I think the free download of Kites in 5.1 already shows this a lot in the end section. BTW if any of you has problems downloading it as a FLAC track to play in surround, I'm more than happy to create a small .iso file during the weekend so you can burn it on a dvd and play it.

Hi Giancarlo,

An .iso file would be great as I don't have anything that will do FLAC yet.

I agree you really do hear the nuances of the music and the instruments much more clearly in surround - that's why I love it!

Cheers

Duncan

Back