Not streaming - dedicated PC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys tried this recently? In Foobar at least, I've had no trouble converting raw dts44 files to FLAC, then adding all sorts of tags, including RG. They still decode just fine, and RG works too! I've even tried converting one back to .wav, and it still decodes, although of course the RG adjustment is lost (no tags in the .wav file).

(My Foobar is v1.3.16, by the way.)
If you are going to convert, why not just adjust the files at that point rather than using RG?

Have you guys tried this recently? In Foobar at least, I've had no trouble converting raw dts44 files to FLAC, then adding all sorts of tags, including RG. They still decode just fine, and RG works too! I've even tried converting one back to .wav, and it still decodes, although of course the RG adjustment is lost (no tags in the .wav file).

(My Foobar is v1.3.16, by the way.)

I've been converting DTS /AC3 to FLAC for years (for tagging purposes) using the DTS/AC3-->SPDIFWAV option of audiouxer. It puts the lossy data in a WAV wrapper, which can then take FLAC conversion/tagging.

What is 'dts44'?

It's an interesting idea, but would I be correct in assuming that only Foobar would know how to properly handle the results? Obviously that wouldn't be a problem if Foobar is all you use, it just wouldn't work for me.
Good question, and I was gonna try one of these files in JRiver just to see if it was a Foobar exclusive thing, but, like, totally forgot, heh.

I've been converting DTS /AC3 to FLAC for years (for tagging purposes) using the DTS/AC3-->SPDIFWAV option of audiouxer. It puts the lossy data in a WAV wrapper, which can then take FLAC conversion/tagging.
Yup. ReplayGain tags can also be created & used here, is what I was saying.

What is 'dts44'?
I thought that was a way to describe what comes off of a dts audio CD - I'm probably using the wrong term.

Yup, it'll even make it into a FLAC in one step. Note that I'm only talking about 44K dts CD stuff here (whatever it's called, heh).

Oh, I see. In my head FLACs are shrunken WAVs, but that's my hangup. What you say makes perfect sense now. Thanks.
Sorry for not being clearer. Just to summarize: By "smaller file size" above, I was mostly referring to the encoded, 2-channel dts vs the multichannel decoded files. (There's likely also some savings when going from encoded dts-wav to dts-flac, but probably not the usual amount, since noise doesn't compress well.)

Yup, it'll even make it into a FLAC in one step. Note that I'm only talking about 44K dts CD stuff here (whatever it's called, heh).

Oh. '44K dts CD' (Officially: 'DTS Music Disc') is already basically 'DTS in a WAV wrapper'. It's not standard raw DTS, it already 'looks like' PCM to a FLAC encoder. That's why the f2k conversion to FLAC works in this case.

As for file size savings with FLAC for such DTS files, there aren't any. It's already a lossy file. If anything the file size gets marginally bigger if tags are added.

Last edited:
As for file size savings with FLAC for such DTS files, there aren't any. It's already a lossy file. If anything the file size gets marginally bigger if tags are added.

MP3s are lossy. If you transcode a 320 MP3 to 128, it will most certainly get smaller. I'm not saying you aren't right, frankly I don't know, but that explanation, if correct, is flawed.

MP3s are lossy. If you transcode a 320 MP3 to 128, it will most certainly get smaller. I'm not saying you aren't right, frankly I don't know, but that explanation, if correct, is flawed.

I never said a lossy file could't be made smaller by making it *lossier*.

But FLAC , of course, is lossless, so it can't make a file smaller that way.

With FLAC you have two issues. One, it only works on PCM (wav) sources , so you can't directly encode a DTS file to FLAC. Either you have to decode DTS to PCM first, then re-compress it with FLAC, or you have to 'trick' FLAC into thinking the file is a PCM .wav file (even of the audio data aren't).

Two, lossy encoding (DTS included) have already shrunk the original PCM .wav audio file size more than even the most aggressive FLAC (-v 8) can.

So, if you decode DTS to PCM (which inflates the file size) then losslessly re-compress with FLAC, you aren't going to get it down to a smaller size than the original, far more drastic loss incurred by the initial PCM-->DTS encoding.

Alternately , if you do the 'trick' I do (wrap DTS data with WAV indicator data) then (AIUI) there's really nothing for FLAC to compress, except that WAV header data, so the size change is marginal (and if you add tag data to the FLAC file, you are slightly increasing file size).

For a fact, every such conversion I can recall looking at, over a span of years now, has always been as large or larger than the original DTS file.

Oh. '44K dts CD' (Officially: 'DTS Music Disc') is already basically 'DTS in a WAV wrapper'. It's not standard raw DTS, it already 'looks like' PCM to a FLAC encoder. That's why the f2k conversion to FLAC works in this case...

That's what I thought you were talking about in that post way back there; sorry for the misunderstanding.

I was just GIVEN two 500G SSDs (where's Snood's bananas?).

I'll put a Wi-Fi card in it for sure. I've just had better luck playing from local files.

Well, not only did my friend send the SSDs and the HDMI video card, he decided he couldn't be buggered to pull them so he sent the whole computer. It's an nMEDIAPC case with the two hard drives, 8G ram, a yet undetermined CPU and MOBO, and a dual antenna WiFi card. He tells me it's good to go, but I won't have a chance to hook it to a monitor until tomorrow. Not only will this be more than adequate for playing surround FLACs, I suspect when the kids move out and we cut the cord, I'll be able to add a tuner card and use this in place of the DVR in the cable box.

Plus the case is wicked cool, made to look at home in a rack full of HiFi gear. Pic from the internet...

6000b1.jpg

Back