• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Notable MCH engineers listing

humprof

Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for the SACD. One of these days I'll get it, no doubt about it!
A year or so ago Monster was still selling the 5.1 DVD-V on its site, also for ten bucks. (We had a thread on it here, as I recall--and the pages for the CD and DVD looked almost identical, so some people got fooled.) But now they seem to have sold out. Big River has it, though, for twenty:

https://www.amazon.com/Sketches-Spain-SuperDisc-Miles-Davis/dp/B009XIIO4Y

sjcorne

400 Club - QQ All Star
Add Richard Thompson's Rumor and Sigh to the Steve Genewick list.
Steve Genewick obviously isn’t as prolific as ES or SW but his track record for 5.1 is seriously good. He worked on a lot of of those Capitol DVD-As with the “feel the music” banner across the top.

They’re pretty rare nowadays, but the DVD-As with his 5.1 mixes of Rumor & Sigh and Crowded House are among the best in my collection.

I wonder if he was set to do the 5.1 mix for that Heart Dreamboat Annie DVD-A that never came out...

Also, his credits mention some 5.1 projects I’m not sure saw the light of day- John Fogerty? Carpenters? Jackson Browne? AFAIK the only 5.1 mixes from those artists are the live DVD mixed by ES, the Singles SACD mixed by Al Schmitt and Richard Carpenter, and the Running On Empty DVD-A mixed by Greg Ladanyi.

http://stevegenewick.com/selected-credits/

Last edited:
Steve Genewick obviously isn’t as prolific as ES or SW but his track record for 5.1 is seriously good. He worked on a lot of of those Capitol DVD-As with the “feel the music” banner across the top.

They’re pretty rare nowadays, but the DVD-As with his 5.1 mixes of Rumor & Sigh and Crowded House are among the best in my collection.

I wonder if he was set to do the 5.1 mix for that Heart Dreamboat Annie DVD-A that never came out...

Also, his credits mention some 5.1 projects I’m not sure saw the light of day- John Fogerty? Carpenters? Jackson Browne? AFAIK the only 5.1 mixes from those artists are the live DVD mixed by ES, the Singles SACD mixed by Al Schmitt and Richard Carpenter, and the Running On Empty DVD-A mixed by Greg Ladanyi.

Someone should send him an email to see if he can shed light on those 5.1 surround projects and also invite him to join QQ.

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" is one I'd love to see finally released

keywhiz

400 Club - QQ All Star
its a.. monster! :p
(seriously, i was shocked at how surround-y they got the music from, what, 3-ch tapes!? would've been interesting if Monster had done things like Kind Of Blue & Time Out in MultiCh in surround with similar technique.. ah well, i must be thankful for what we have/and what we do get rather than whining about what we don't! :giggle:
Normally I’m the first the complain about “ambient rears”. But knowing to expect that with Kind of Blue I have to says “hats off”. I’m not sure how much the rears have to do with it, but I think that surround SACD is one of the best sounding discs I own. And the best that album has sounded.

I love what Monster did with Sketches. It’s a masterwork. But it’s a different kind of recording and performance. The Kind of Blue disc feels like I’m sitting in a small club right up next to the stage listening to them perform it. I guess it might be fun to hear what Monster could have done with it, but I don’t feel like I need it.