• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Official QQ "What's your Go-To Surround Demo Quality SACD"?

I try not to bore the uninitiated with my musical tastes: But I dare people to try my Demo.
1. Emerson Lake and Palmer 2001 version last 2 minutes of the 3rd Impression: This is how you demo the meaning of surround, This is how you test your hook ups. Can you name a better? (didn't think so)
2. Apollo 13 LIFTOFF this how you test your dual sbwoofers and the integrity of the rest. I rock the house and something usually falls off the wall,
3. But Super Session puts you in the studio withe 3 gods of rock, Toccata fro Brain Salad Surgery and Steely Dan's Gaucho always turns my head

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
I try not to bore the uninitiated with my musical tastes: But I dare people to try my Demo.
1. Emerson Lake and Palmer 2001 version last 2 minutes of the 3rd Impression: This is how you demo the meaning of surround, This is how you test your hook ups. Can you name a better? (didn't think so)
2. Apollo 13 LIFTOFF this how you test your dual sbwoofers and the integrity of the rest. I rock the house and something usually falls off the wall,
3. But Super Session puts you in the studio withe 3 gods of rock, Toccata fro Brain Salad Surgery and Steely Dan's Gaucho always turns my head
I don't think the first two are on Surround SACD. Super Session and Gaucho are.

dobyblue

400 Club - QQ All Star
I pretty much exclusively demo 5.1 when I choose SACDs so with that in mind these are my top 5.1 demo tracks (one per album)

1) Billy Joel - The Stranger (Scenes from an Italian Restaurant)
2) Peter Gabriel - Up (I Grieve)
3) Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music (You Saved My Life)
4) NIN - The Downward Spiral (Closer)
5) Depeche Mode - Violator (Policy of Truth)
6) Elton John - Honky Chateau (Rocket Man)
7) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Shine On You Crazy Diamond)
8) The Police - Every Breath You Take (Walking on the Moon)
9) Genesis - Invisible Touch (Tonight Tonight)
10) Sting - Brand New Day (A Thousand Years)

goatfarm

As fine as that Biggs/Bach Four Organ Spectacular is (I remember paying around $20 for it) I still prefer the Tuba Mirum from Berlioz' Requiem, Opus 5, performed by a goodly number of musicians (the composer wanted 800) under the direction of Roger Norrington.

berliozrequiemnorrington.jpg

Last edited:

Fourplay

800 Club - QQ All Star
I picked up Kodo just a year ago from Amazon US for $38. An excellent disc that I go back to often. Recommended!

Fourplay

800 Club - QQ All Star
I want to amend my earlier post. I recently rewired my system so I can more easily reassign and isolate tracks. Will post about that soon. But I have to say my own testing since that time has found my previous opinion of Nick Drake to be incorrect. The elements in the rears are not discrete on any track. I was sad to discover this, but there you have it. I still love the music, and I still share the disc, but as a surround demo it cannot compare to many discrete discs. FYI.

Hey All,

OK, now go easy on me here: one of my go-to discs is Nick Drake - A Treasury. Controversial I know, but several of the tracks are discrete, and I love "Poor Boy" in surround and so do the people I play it to!

Others:
Dredg - El Cielo (1st track)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding)
Kitaro - Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai (tracks 2,3,4,8 & 10)

Not saying that the others listed in this thread are less than these, but thought I would offer fresh alternatives that I do use often!

Ken

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
I picked up Kodo just a year ago from Amazon US for $38. An excellent disc that I go back to often. Recommended!
Kodo's "Mondo Head" is a classic Multichannel SACD demo album. Audio makers have been using that disc to show off low-end playback of SACD for years. Very popular.

fredblue

QQ member number 4041
Kodo's "Mondo Head" is a classic Multichannel SACD demo album. Audio makers have been using that disc to show off low-end playback of SACD for years. Very popular.
I've been after this one ever since our Linda mentioned how good it was but I can never find it cheap enough! :(

01. Bryan Ferry - Boys & Girls
02. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
03. Destiny's Child - Survivor (not in particular the music but the surround is :banana: )
04. Gloria Estefan - Greatest Hits