Oh no - Foobar problems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Foobar question/comment. I notice, often, that no lyrics are displayed. I guess I'm surprised in today's age, that all songs don't have lyrics online. Is there a trick to get Foobar to look for lyrics a little deeper? Is there some component I need to install that does a better job?

Another Foobar question/comment. I notice, often, that no lyrics are displayed. I guess I'm surprised in today's age, that all songs don't have lyrics online. Is there a trick to get Foobar to look for lyrics a little deeper? Is there some component I need to install that does a better job?
Ever get the other issue resolved?

Kodi does the same thing... but rarely. It also occasionally grabs incorrect lyrics. And the probability that the lyrics will be self scrolling or not is about 60/40.

Kodi does the same thing... but rarely. It also occasionally grabs incorrect lyrics. And the probability that the lyrics will be self scrolling or not is about 60/40.

Ah, OK. You pretty much read my mind. My next post was going to say something along the lines of debating whether to get Kodi and give it a try.

Ah, OK. You pretty much read my mind. My next post was going to say something along the lines of debating whether to get Kodi and give it a try.
I would. Its not hard to setup. Homer even has How-to tutorials.

FWIW I also want to try out Foobar. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

I am finally giving foobar a change, using the dark theme. Not bad, but it doesn't seem to honor my genre tags so I have the left pane in directory view since genre is useless.
Also, any tips on random playlists? Mostly I just f'up my views when I try.

I am finally giving foobar a change, using the dark theme. Not bad, but it doesn't seem to honor my genre tags so I have the left pane in directory view since genre is useless.
Also, any tips on random playlists? Mostly I just f'up my views when I try.

You mean, like this?

And yes, I am a bit over the edge with my Genre tags.
Alternative Country
Ambient
Avant-Garde
Bluegrass
Blues
Blues-Rock
Christmas
Classical
Country
Dixieland
Electronic
Folk
Folk Metal
Funk
Fusion
Glam
Gothic
Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
Hip-Hop
Indie
Industrial
Instrumental Rock
Jam
Jazz
Lounge
Metal
Minimalism
New Wave
Opera
Pop
Progressive Rock
Psychobilly
Punk
R&B
Reggae
Rock
Rockabilly
Ska
Smooth Jazz
Soundtrack
Southern Rock
Swing
Symphonic Metal
Techno
Vocal
World
World Progressive Rock
World Punk

Kodi media player DOES work.
The 'ringer' question might be: Does it fully decode that dts 2496 format? Answer: Yes!
It also handles all the surround channel formats properly whereas many media players seem to only be programmed to recognize 2.0 or 5.1. (4.0 for example.)

The GUI is such a glaring hot mess that you're really going to hate using it. I thought so anyway.
The GUI in Foobar takes you back to 1995. It DOES work though. And it includes audio conversion features for Windows users having trouble finding conversion apps for Windows.

Trying to keep everything in 5.1 containers in flac and just using VLC player is still appealing if you're impatient like me. (VLC really needs to clean house re: channel formats that aren't 2.0 or 5.1! They've pretty much nailed everything else for a 'one size fits all' media player.)

Been meaning to have a media player shootout...

The 'ringer' question might be: Does it fully decode that dts 2496 format? Answer: Yes!
It also handles all the surround channel formats properly whereas many media players seem to only be programmed to recognize 2.0 or 5.1. (4.0 for example.)

I can't speak to any other version/platform, but the most recent Kodi/LibreELEC on an Odroid C2 plays 24/96 4.0 at half speed as 2.0.

The GUI is such a glaring hot mess that you're really going to hate using it. I thought so anyway.
The GUI in Foobar takes you back to 1995. It DOES work though. And it includes audio conversion features for Windows users having trouble finding conversion apps for Windows.

Trying to keep everything in 5.1 containers in flac and just using VLC player is still appealing if you're impatient like me. (VLC really needs to clean house re: channel formats that aren't 2.0 or 5.1! They've pretty much nailed everything else for a 'one size fits all' media player.)

Been meaning to have a media player shootout...

I have to disagree with the bolded statement. I think it all depends on the skin being used and the default skin does leave a lot to be desired. I use the Aeon Nox Silvo skin, as many of us do on QQ. I like it.

Kodi v17.6
Probably an older version by now as I don't use it much.
Verified working as stated in OSX 10.6.8, 10.9.5, & 10.13.6

I don't know what "Odroid C2" is. Misspelling of Android? I wouldn't count on any of this kind of stuff working on mobile devices if so. Some version of Linux? Not up to speed enough to comment if so.

Skins?
I prefer my software more finished out of the box. No interest or patience for that kind of GUI DIY. Present your software as you want the world to experience it.
Allowing for tweaking is a good thing. Requiring it is not.

Kodi v17.6
Probably an older version by now as I don't use it much.
Verified working as stated in OSX 10.6.8, 10.9.5, & 10.13.6

I don't know what "Odroid C2" is. Misspelling of Android? I wouldn't count on any of this kind of stuff working on mobile devices if so. Some version of Linux? Not up to speed enough to comment if so.

Skins?
I prefer my software more finished out of the box. No interest or patience for that kind of GUI DIY. Present your software as you want the world to experience it.
Allowing for tweaking is a good thing. Requiring it is not.

Yes, Kodi is up to version 18.1 now, and the default skin has changed from the one you are currently using as well. There really isn't much to setting up a different skin, you just choose it and it loads. Aeon Nox Silvo does require a few more steps if you want to use the Artist slideshow options. In all it probably takes 10 minutes or less to configure. The bottom line is you get a decent media player set the way you want it, instead of a one size fits all approach. But hey, if you are that low on patience....

Kodi LibreELEC is a version of Kodi that includes a Linux based OS. It allows Kodi to be used on a machine that has no additional OS. I do not know what Odroid C2 is.

Back