Oh no - Foobar problems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Kodi is up to version 18.1 now, and the default skin has changed from the one you are currently using as well. There really isn't much to setting up a different skin, you just choose it and it loads. Aeon Nox Silvo does require a few more steps if you want to use the Artist slideshow options. In all it probably takes 10 minutes or less to configure. The bottom line is you get a decent media player set the way you want it, instead of a one size fits all approach. But hey, if you are that low on patience....

Kodi LibreELEC is a version of Kodi that includes a Linux based OS. It allows Kodi to be used on a machine that has no additional OS. I do not know what Odroid C2 is.

I think the "skins" only change the colors and text fonts though. Not the underlying GUI operation. The clunky way they tried to take over the screen from the OS - even going so far as making their own (bad) version of the Finder to browse for files - is what's wrong.

I think this was written originally for the Xbox gaming system (which some people use as their stereo apparently) and then adopted to computer OS's to fill a void of no functional media players for HD and surround audio + video formats. (While the computer camp was thinking up new copy protection gone wild schemes to prevent anyone from playing their media.) The Xbox didn't have an "operating system" per say with the ability to browse your file system and other basics and that and the gaming theme of the system lead to the garish GUI operation. Not sure how this comes across to a Windows user but to an OSX user it's "Why did you break everything?"

On the other side, the technical operation works! Even for the current "ringer" format of dts2496. And this is the important part! Shouldn't give a flying whatever it is how it looks!
It even plays directly from DVD and bluray disc formats.
So this media player really needs to be mentioned and it's a useful tool to have installed until something better comes along.
Yeah, time for a shootout...

On the other side, the technical operation works! Even for the current "ringer" format of dts2496. And this is the important part! Shouldn't give a flying whatever it is how it looks!

It's also worth pointing out that Kodi can be controlled via any of at least two smartphone/tablet apps and, in such cases, the native interface that appears on a monitor connected to the host computer becomes completely irrelevant.

While I certainly can turn on a monitor to look at what Kodi is doing and sometimes have no alternative (e.g., when making configuration changes), for the most part I run it "headless" and just queue up music using the reasonably clean interface on my phone.

Of course, anyone using Kodi for video is going to care a lot more about the native interface.

FYI You can control anything on your computer with a phone or tablet with screen sharing in OSX. Enable it in System Preferences/Sharing. No specialized apps. Control anything on your computer. :)
I imagine Windows has a similar feature.

I think the "skins" only change the colors and text fonts though. Not the underlying GUI operation. The clunky way they tried to take over the screen from the OS - even going so far as making their own (bad) version of the Finder to browse for files - is what's wrong.

A change of skin is not simply a change of colors and fonts. It affects the views of the library, the functions that are available, and the features that are available.

I really have no idea what you are talking about regarding a file finder for browsing. The only time I've even ever used a file browser in Kodi is when i'm telling it where to find things. This only needs to happen at the initial setup. You have to point it to your music and to any directory where you want it to save data. You can do it, but trying to choose and play music through Kodi using its file server is a poor experience.

It works like this... You point Kodi to your tagged music library(s). Kodi loads the information into its SQL library. If you change anything in the library, Kodi updates itself (either manually or automatically depending how you set it). During the import, Kodi will scrape the internet (from sources you can specify) for artwork, artist bio, other albums, similar bands etc, etc. It stores all this information in its data base.

When Kodi runs, it brings up a screen of albums, or songs, or artists (the choice is specified by the user) of everything in the library. I always choose an artist view. On load, my screen comes up with a wall of artist thumbnails that can be browsed. The type of view you get is chosen by the user and is a function of the skin that is loaded. It could show thumbnails, it could show titles, it could show both. It could show a single album cover that works like a rolodex that you page through. It can show a simple list. Different skins offer different views. Choose the view you like. I use an artist wall. When I click on a given artist, another view comes up showing all the artists albums that I have. Once again, this view is adjustable based on skin. You can navigate to a given album. Click it, and another view shows up, this time showing song titles, again the view is adjustable based on skin. I use a list type display for this, but there are others. You can choose any track on the album, click it and it plays. And the remainder of the album continues to play until you either stop it, or choose a different track, or the album ends. There are also ways to have it choose tracks at random, or from a playlist you have created.

I have it set so that while the album plays, the video in the background shows a slideshow of artist fanart that Kodi has scraped, and it continues to scrape as the album plays, so if it finds new artwork, it shows that too. As the song progresses, it provides lyrics (if available). You can choose how the lyrics are shown, self-scrolling or not, a line at a time, or a page at a time. I typically scroll mine. All of this is a function of the skin used. not all of them do slideshows. Not all of them do line by line lyrics. At the bottom of the screen is a moving line of text that provides an artist bio, similar bands, a discography, etc.

Don't like the idea of an artist slideshow? No problem. You can have it show a visualization, usually in some way tied to the rhythm of the music. There are dozens if not hundreds of types of visualizations available.

There are also dozens of different skins available, all with different themes, functions and features. Some are geared toward music. Some toward video. Some can do both equally well.

And like Atrocity said, this can all be controlled with a smartphone. And the phone controls the OSD of both the main screen and the phone. I use a wireless keyboard, as my preference.

And oh yeah... you can change the colors and fonts too :p

Last edited:
Or I can not have to do any of that and not have to finish the programmers job with skins or whathaveyou.
Open Songbird, drag/drop what I want to listen to straight from a Finder window to a playlist, hit play.

No screens jumping around. No stupid shit like making their own oversized cursor pointer that rides on top of your actual cursor pointer (you'll have fun with this if you have to address a network monitor alert... like when Kodi player wants to call home with whatever data it wants to collect.) Just music playing and me not swearing. :)
(Heh. The part where you have to enter directory locations into it the first time instead of just browsing there... I see that as a bug, not a feature. Pretty glaring one at that!)

I'll pull up Kodi when something comes along with video content + audio that is other than 2.0 or 5.1 channel format. Otherwise Songbird or VLC.

And I'll run anything on the entire computer with my iPad with the stock screen sharing over local network. No special apps required.

But Kodi DOES work with the less popular surround channel formats + video. And there it is in my Applications folder. :D

(Heh. The part where you have to enter directory locations into it the first time instead of just browsing there... I see that as a bug, not a feature. Pretty glaring one at that!)

Ok I can see you are set in your ways, so I'm done talking about this. One last note,as far as the issue above... it is a browsing operation. In fact, all the places I can think of in Kodi where you need to specify a location are browsed.

Appreciate your comments LuvMyQuad. I'm just impatient with computers I guess. The GUI design in Kodi and me are oil and water apparently.

FYI You can control anything on your computer with a phone or tablet with screen sharing in OSX. Enable it in System Preferences/Sharing. No specialized apps. Control anything on your computer. :)
I imagine Windows has a similar feature.

Well, yes. But a Mac costs $1,000,000,000,000,000 and an Odroid $65. I just need something that will reliably excrete HDMI and not force me to use a monitor, so the Odroid works for me. Or at least it does with the older Kodi.

I have no great love for Kodi's interface myself and, after more than a decade of using Logitech Media Server I have no shortage of quibbles with some of Kodi's quirks, but at the end of the day I get perfect multichannel PCM with minimal hassle.

(Note: I may have slightly exaggerated the price difference.)

I often wonder how all of a sudden, something that has always worked, suddenly stops working.......trying to do what I've done at least 500 times in Foobar and now I get this message. Loaded up an .iso file and went to convert to Flac and now this.... and before you ask me why I bother converting .iso to Flac.....I do it out of preference. Also, .iso files on my laptop don't play nice and I get stuttering. Flac, never.

1577547828998.png

I often wonder how all of a sudden, something that has always worked, suddenly stops working.......trying to do what I've done at least 500 times in Foobar and now I get this message. Loaded up an .iso file and went to convert to Flac and now this.... and before you ask me why I bother converting .iso to Flac.....I do it out of preference. Also, .iso files on my laptop don't play nice and I get stuttering. Flac, never.

View attachment 44864
Reboot!
What kind of (codec-?) is in the ISO?
I bet Garry would have a clue!

Reboot!
What kind of (codec-?) is in the ISO?
I bet Garry would have a clue!
Yeah, I rebooted already. Not sure what you mean, what kind of codec. It's a typical .iso generated from an SACD rip. I swear, I ran into this problem one other time...but I've no clue what the answer is, nor why is it happening again?

Yeah, I rebooted already. Not sure what you mean, what kind of codec. It's a typical .iso generated from an SACD rip. I swear, I ran into this problem one other time...but I've no clue what the answer is, nor why is it happening again?
Good luck getting this resolved, Gene. You’re my future Foobar go to!

Maybe check to see if your SACD plugin is active?

Maybe check to see if your SACD plugin is active?
I don't know how to do that...but I can easily play the same iso in Foobar, just when I go to convert, I get that message. REally, I don't understand why it says it will NOT be lossless. Flac is lossless, the SACD iso file is lossless...so what gives.

Try a work around maybe by converting first to wav and then to flac. And just for kicks, try setting the flac level to zero.

The thing with Foobar is overall it's pretty good but I have little hiccups with it also from time to time; like when I've been playing surround music through Foobar from an SSD and later want to un-mount the USB SSD, I get a warning saying don't remove- a program is still using it (Foobar basically is locking it up some how and to get the SSD out I have to put the computer to sleep.)

Try a work around maybe by converting first to wav and then to flac. And just for kicks, try setting the flac level to zero.

The thing with Foobar is overall it's pretty good but I have little hiccups with it also from time to time; like when I've been playing surround music through Foobar from an SSD and later want to un-mount the USB SSD, I get a warning saying don't remove- a program is still using it (Foobar basically is locking it up some how and to get the SSD out I have to put the computer to sleep.)
I get the same warning message when I choose wav. I mean, I can ignore the message and go ahead with conversion. I tried that, but I don't want to spend all my time converting iso's to Flac and have it tell me it's not lossless. Again, if you look up Flac, it is a lossless codec......

1577555067879.png

Having a connected audio interface crash can be a thing. (Your HDMI receiver in this example.)
Not a common or frequent thing! But a thing.

If it starts happening often (ie more than once in a blue moon), check the thunderbolt/HDMI cable first. (Always check cables first.)
Restart things next. Computerized receivers included! And you did just that. :)

I haven't done any conversions yet. The conversion of DSD to PCM is strictly not lossless as its as if you are changing bananas into apples (sorry Snood!) they are very different beasts. The conversion methods from analogue to digital are different between DSD & PCM. Also once converted DSD has high-frequency artifacts which need to be removed by filtering. The conversion from PCM to FLAC is lossless, and foobar will convert DSD->PCM->FLAC.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the conversion from dsd to pcm isn't lossless, never had that warning though.
I thought it was if you use 32:1 decimation and convert to 32 bit floating point at 88.2k sample rate.
The output can be anywhere between -6db and +6db, so you need to convert to floating point first so you don't lose that 1 bit of resolution (with -6) or clip (with +6).
Normalize the level with respect to 0db and then you can put it in 24 bit fixed point format.

(Or you can just click the button to lower it 6db by default to be simple and safe. Losing 1 bit precision with 24 bit program isn't that big a deal. Certainly not vs the risk of digital clipping which mutilates audio!)

Back