OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK that is what I would expect with a stereo source in the discrete mode as there is no rear channel information to reproduce.

I'm looking at getting a 7001 or a 9001.

What I would to confirm is whether one can get a synthesised 4 channel effect with a stereo (non turntable) source. Looking at the online manual for the 9001 there is a QS synthesiser mode that would appear to do this. Is this correct? And if so, can the 7001 also do this?
Any stereo source can deliver a synthesized surround effect, regardless of source. The quality of the effect will be dependent on the particular recording. Some will be better than others. Both the 7001 and 9001 can do a very good job of synthesizing surround from stereo.

Not sure if I posted here before, but the thread has been revived so here goes.

I only had one receiver in my life, a pioneer tube job that I bought with my E-4 pay back in 1968. Probably 35 WPC. I got an Altec 724 tuner/preamp with my employee discount in ‘73, and used the amp section of the pioneer until I was able to trade it for a 75 WPC Akai solid-state amp, which I still use for by back channels.

When I upgraded to a digital setup, I bought a Marantz 7701 pre/pro and Emotiva Stealth 8s for the front three channels. My back speakers are still Realistic Minimus 7s

Enough Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, SACD, DVD-A. How about some quad guys posting what they have for their receivers! Probably the pride and joy and center piece of a quad system, let's list what we have, and pictures are cool too. Especially if it's a rare unit.

Any all of you guys who never post because you have no reason to, comon, let us know what you're using. Amps and Receivers from the "quad era"!

I'll start:

I have a Sansui QRX-999, which is a European version of the QRX-9001 which I bought in Italy when I was in the Navy back in 1977. I carried that sucker up the fantail stairway on the aircraft carrier I was assigned to and it was heavy and awkward and I amost fell off the damn thing. But it was worth it! :D Still working today.
Technics SA-8500X but two pre-amp channels are fried. The just blew out this summer. Know where I can get replacements?

Attachments

• copy 1 .jpg
    copy 1 .jpg
    419 KB · Views: 0
Technics SA-8500X but two pre-amp channels are fried. The just blew out this summer. Know where I can get replacements?
The service manual can be found here.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/sa-8500x.shtml
As for replacements, not sure what you need but check eBay for pieces from parted out units. I would look first into repairing the blown board. The CD-4 Demodulator/phono preamp uses the QSI-5022 which would be very hard to find.

Other than that I would suggest just using it as a Power Amplifier.

1989/1990/1991:
Due to Walmart selling some audio equip in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I bought 2 Pioneer SX-2300 stereo receivers.
(set up my 1st quad system with them in 1991: my home built matrix "decoder" + 4 Pioneer CS-G103 speakers)

2000:
(Best Buy) Pioneer VSX-D209

2004:
(Best Buy) Pioneer VSX-D514

2018:
(Amazon) Pioneer VSX-534

(currently using 1 SX-2300 and the VSX-D514 in surround sound configurations)

Kirk Bayne

Hi all! Here's my set up. I've got an excellent Sansui QRX9001receiver with a Rockville RPA12 amplifier and Victrola Pro Series turntable with a AT Shibata stylus. Right now I've got two Rockville RSG12 speakers and four decent speakers up top. I plan on getting two more RSG12's and stands for all four.

Attachments

• IMG_20240313_214655211.jpg
    IMG_20240313_214655211.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I have put my receiver away since I never use the tuner. I run a Pioneer CQ-800A preamp into my Marantz amp.
I use a fully restored Sansui QRX 7001 for QS and RM, a fully restored Lafayette LR 5000 for stereo, SQ, and CD4 (via a JVC 4DD5). I have a spare fully restored LR 5000 and 3 spare, still in the box, JVC 4DD5s.
Hi all! Here's my set up. I've got an excellent Sansui QRX9001receiver with a Rockville RPA12 amplifier and Victrola Pro Series turntable with a AT Shibata stylus. Right now I've got two Rockville RSG12 speakers and four decent speakers up top. I plan on getting two more RSG12's and stands for all four.

Back