Ok to use QRX8001?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazmono

I feel a bit foolish asking this question but is it safe or advisable to use my newly acquired Sansui QRX8001? It appears to be in near perfect condition although one of the rear level meters show lower levels than the others when playing. The guy I bought it off had never attempted to use it in Quad so didn't know if the rear channel actually played at a lower level or not. I am trepidatious about using the receiver until I have recapped it, but am I worrying unnecessary? I remember reading that if a cap fails it can destroy irreplaceable chips. But I would like to have fun using it before recapping as it will take ages to do and I haven't even got all the parts yet. What do people think?

If you are having any electrical issues, my reccommendation is to repair it. I am suspecting you have an output transistor problem. That could end up putting and electrical spike through the speakers causing even more damage. I don't think the risk is worth it.

The obvious thing to try if you haven't yet: it could also be the source - I would try swapping the channels at the source to see if the issue moves. Restoring a QRX 8001/9001 is quite a bit of work and if the quad board are not taken care of properly (there is a delicate voltage setting there) then it is easy to damage the ICs regardless of the new caps.

Back