OMG!! 50 years already!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 17, and today is my 50th anniversary of enlisting. 14 June 68 I was sworn in the Army at Dt Dix NJ. It was the best and worst thing I ever did. My 1st assignment was in of all places, Iran. I turned 18 in Tehran, I can't belive it's been that long! Next year- Woodstock turns 50!! Holy :poop:

Congrats.

I likewise was sworn in at Fort Dix but ended up stateside at Fort Riley Kansas as an MP guarding prisoners while the Viet Nam War was raging on.

As for Woodstock....I was vacationing in California at the time watching it on TV smoking a doobie!:SG

BTW, what were your impressions of Iran?

Last edited:
Time flies, eh? I was a few years behind you, going in in '72. Vietnam was still a thing, and fortunately I didn't end up there. Still, the military was looked at differently then than it is today. Not complaining, just a different time. The music was better though! :)

Last edited:
I reach 11 years in November. Not sure if I'll go the full 20. If it comes time to choose between my wife and the service, it's family first.
Fortunately, the military offered "blended retirement" this year and I qualified and opted in. So, if I dip out before 20 I still walk away with my 401k-type of account, which the govt is matching at this time (I'm just giving up some pay to fund that and I get a slightly lower pension if I reach the full 20). Having that flexibility makes enduring the hardships of service a little easier on Mrs. B, so it's worth it.
I haven't been to Iran yet, but we'll see. :) I've been just about everywhere else you can think of in the Middle East, plus Korea, Afghanistan and a least a couple of dozen posts in the US, including Dix.
It's nice to know some other guys in this hobby have served.
My step-father served and was sent to Vietnam. My grandfathers both served in WWII. My father's father stormed a beach at Normandy, while my mother's father sailed in the Pacific.

One ex Royal Air Force serviceman here. Aircraft Engineer..yes I was one of those who tried to stop the aircraft flying!! 17 yrs man and boy. Took voluntary redundancy way back in 1994. Best years of my working life. Yes it is a different, slightly surreal world in the military but hard to replicate in any other form of life. The bond you form with your colleagues is irreplaceable and in 'civvy street' you fully appreciate those special moments.
And as for 'Military Humour'...…..nothing was sacred.....thankfully. Its what kept you going. ( and still does ). :)
My father served in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm...going around the world when the British Navy had plenty of ships and Aircraft Carriers!!
My grandfather served in WW2, also, in the Royal Navy. Got torpedoed on a destroyer and ended up as a German POW. He spent his time at the prison camp Marlag O, which was where the true story of 'Albert RN' happened. A film was made of it.
My other grandfather served in 'Dad's Army' ..the local Home Guard during WW2.
It seems like quite a few of us have more in common than our love of music.
I bet quite a few of us could pull up a sandbag and tell many a tall story!!

One ex Royal Air Force serviceman here. Aircraft Engineer..yes I was one of those who tried to stop the aircraft flying!! 17 yrs man and boy. Took voluntary redundancy way back in 1994. Best years of my working life. Yes it is a different, slightly surreal world in the military but hard to replicate in any other form of life. The bond you form with your colleagues is irreplaceable and in 'civvy street' you fully appreciate those special moments.
And as for 'Military Humour'...…..nothing was sacred.....thankfully. Its what kept you going. ( and still does ). :)
My father served in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm...going around the world when the British Navy had plenty of ships and Aircraft Carriers!!
My grandfather served in WW2, also, in the Royal Navy. Got torpedoed on a destroyer and ended up as a German POW. He spent his time at the prison camp Marlag O, which was where the true story of 'Albert RN' happened. A film was made of it.
My other grandfather served in 'Dad's Army' ..the local Home Guard during WW2.
It seems like quite a few of us have more in common than our love of music.
I bet quite a few of us could pull up a sandbag and tell many a tall story!!
Mad respect for the British armed forces. I'm shoulder to shoulder with you lot daily over here (along with many other NATO soldiers).
WWII history is among my favorite personal studies. I recently enjoyed the movie Dunkirk (though it could have been better) and for Father's Day, a couple of days from now, my wife and I are going to virtually watch Darkest Hour together (via video phone we'll both press play on our respective players at the same time, then chat about the movie over facebook messenger). The defense of Britain against the Germans has always been of particular interest. Probably because of my grandfather's experience at Normandy, but also because of Iron Maiden songs like "Aces High" and other influences. I love the old film Battle of Britain. I sort of hope they remake it someday, but, if they do, I hope they do it right.

Btw, for those of you US servicemembers who served in Vietnam (maybe other conflicts too), make sure your family (assuming you like them) know where to locate your DD214 and how to send it in to the VA upon your death. My mum receives a monthly death benefit from Uncle Sam for the rest of her life. And it isn't chump change. It's like $1300 or thereabouts. That's a lot of :51QQ

Congrats.

I likewise was sworn in at Fort Dix but ended up stateside at Fort Riley Kansas as an MP guarding prisoners while the Viet Nam War was raging on.

As for Woodstock....I was vacationing in California at the time watching it on TV smoking a doobie!:SG

BTW, what were your impressions of Iran?
95 bravo u do basic at Dix?

USN here, 1985-97, Suppo type....I transitioned for family reasons over to the civilian side of the house. Spent quite a bit of time floating in the Med on the lookout for "Soviet" subs and the Kiev, (but great ports of call!) and interdicting stuff in the Caribbean. My father was in WW2 also, but in the Swedish Army...he was a signals and recon motorcycle driver guy.

Mad respect for the British armed forces. I'm shoulder to shoulder with you lot daily over here (along with many other NATO soldiers).
WWII history is among my favorite personal studies. I recently enjoyed the movie Dunkirk (though it could have been better) and for Father's Day, a couple of days from now, my wife and I are going to virtually watch Darkest Hour together (via video phone we'll both press play on our respective players at the same time, then chat about the movie over facebook messenger). The defense of Britain against the Germans has always been of particular interest. Probably because of my grandfather's experience at Normandy, but also because of Iron Maiden songs like "Aces High" and other influences. I love the old film Battle of Britain. I sort of hope they remake it someday, but, if they do, I hope they do it right.

Btw, for those of you US servicemembers who served in Vietnam (maybe other conflicts too), make sure your family (assuming you like them) know where to locate your DD214 and how to send it in to the VA upon your death. My mum receives a monthly death benefit from Uncle Sam for the rest of her life. And it isn't chump change. It's like $1300 or thereabouts. That's a lot of :51QQ
ya if you served in wartime-in the shit or not-you still get bennies that are great! full medical-but no dental. they paid for my school and paid me to go, and when I got hurt they gave me pension, for my kids. But I went in at a time when guys were getting drafted, and many did not want to be there. The influence affected me.
As for why I ended up with the station I did? who knows? My entire class of AIT went to Japan, I waited 5 weeks not knowing anything, but, later found I was being investigated for security clearance.
I have my own thoughts on these wars, I feel are done on purpose, which is why I don't watch propaganda films. I was a kid who did not know better, but, it was good for me, right out of HS, and full of piss and vinegar. Made e-4 like everyone- but looking back, I should have done the 20, I still would have been a young man when done.

Time flies, eh? I was a few years behind you, going in in '72. Vietnam was still a thing, and fortunately I didn't end up there. Still, the military was looked at differently then than it is today. Not complaining, just a different time. The music was better though! :)

Did my basic right next to McGuire and transfer station for guys going to Nam, All through basic we met these kids, and our mess hall? You could see planes all day and night coming back, guys unloading with weapons, (PS) (I still have my 45!!) they gave me in Iran when on CQ , somehow they never asked for it, so, I kept it!:devilish:
JC! I still can't get over the 50 yrs thing!!

USN here, 1985-97, Suppo type....I transitioned for family reasons over to the civilian side of the house. Spent quite a bit of time floating in the Med on the lookout for "Soviet" subs and the Kiev, (but great ports of call!) and interdicting stuff in the Caribbean. My father was in WW2 also, but in the Swedish Army...he was a signals and recon motorcycle driver guy.
It was a different military by then. WE had all WW2 equipment or shit for weapons. (M-16) terrible rifle! I trained with M-14 had the 16 a week, but this was 1968, basic in WW 2 barracks, old wooden buildings, and same with AIT, if you were at Ft Dix then you know the big duce this mess hall, notorious for fights.
I was 5 weeks in a barracks alone after graduation from AIT, hiding to avoid KP at the duce!

I am always in AWE of you that had any time in the service. I mean...seriously.
at 17 it is an experience, the 1st night in basic after a week of reception, I shit my pants!! Told the DI I was too young, cried, he says, we will send you home tomorrow, the next thing I knew I was in graduation, looking to AIT school! Had a great time ! Can't tell you how it felt to get that duty station! It was for me incredible! I certainly grew up a whole lot in two years one summer in basic and AIT the next in the best duty ever a GI could get!

Thanks to you both for your service to the USA.

Thank YOU! it was such a different time nothing like now!! We sang filthy cadence songs, now they have girls in basic with you! We were gritty, ready to eat guts, and brainwashed to kill. " If I die on the Russian front bury me in a Russian C*nt, nothing like now. But it is a entire different enemy. Either you wanted it or were drafted. My very 1st night in reception you got KP, I served about a thousand dudes all new draftees food, Ft Dix was loaded with guys now? It's hardly used. How many went through there? Like I said all day-all night planes coming and going to Nam. But as a kid, you just don't see the reality, this is easy for brainwashing, they take everything break you and re-build you as a killer. And then wonder why these kids who go have problems, like me, I never saw shit but, did use my sidearm, more than one time, I was stabbed, and shot. And I was in a non war zone!!

Seems like this particular post is creating a lot of cathartic moments for peeps . I bet you can all recite your service number. I remember my basic training in '77 very well. The corporal in charge of our intake was nicknamed the human triangle, coz that was his build. Hell of a tough character but he got you through it. And to think I voluntarily signed on the dotted line after gettin bored as a cartographic draughtsman making maps. Strange how life's little events shape who we are. Good that people feel able to open up about thier lives..gets us to know one another that little bit better.

Thank YOU! it was such a different time nothing like now!! We sang filthy cadence songs, now they have girls in basic with you! We were gritty, ready to eat guts, and brainwashed to kill. " If I die on the Russian front bury me in a Russian C*nt, nothing like now. But it is a entire different enemy. Either you wanted it or were drafted. My very 1st night in reception you got KP, I served about a thousand dudes all new draftees food, Ft Dix was loaded with guys now? It's hardly used. How many went through there? Like I said all day-all night planes coming and going to Nam. But as a kid, you just don't see the reality, this is easy for brainwashing, they take everything break you and re-build you as a killer. And then wonder why these kids who go have problems, like me, I never saw shit but, did use my sidearm, more than one time, I was stabbed, and shot. And I was in a non war zone!!

The military is a dangerous occupation. I remember well sitting in a hanger at Fort Chaffee AR for hours waiting for clearance for our Chinook helicopter to take off. It finally came down to "pilot's discretion". The pilot said "let's go home", and we did. I was among the many who barfed several time on the flight. We made it OK, but I never complained about the turbulence I experienced on commercial flights ever again.

I retired after 20 years service in the Field Artillery. You know there's a lot of sound pressure when you can feel your guts vibrate with the higher charges. That gave me tinnitus (ringing in the ears). It wouldn't be so bad if I could only experience it in quad. Nope, stereo only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back